Glasgow - The SSE Hydro (Feb. 17, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / How Soon Is Now? / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / Home Is A Question Mark / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / Spent The Day In Bed / The Bullfighter Dies / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Jack The Ripper / Hold On To Your Friends / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by an anonymous person.

Last edited:
Lots of reports of fans leaving after he slagged off the witch that is Nicola Sturgeon. Most people booed when her name was mentioned. I didn't see anyone leave. Also, I'd say there were around 100+ seats empty.
Nobody walked out, I never thought I’d say this but it’s Fake News snp style!!!

Why wouldn't it be popular? It's a great song. Are you saying all Irish are in sympathy with Palestine? I don't understand what your comment means. 'Home' and 'Israel' are two of the strongest songs on the album. Is Moz supposed to only sing songs he knows won't offend anyone? f*** that.

I can assure you it wouldn't be popular here because having spent hundreds of years under British rule we tend to not be huge supporters of colonialism. I would comfortably say that the majority of Irish people have great sympathy with the Palestinians and their seemingly endless struggle.

However, I agree with your last point in that of course he should perform the songs he wants to perform. If anybody has issue with those tracks then they can do what I have done - don't buy the album and don't buy a ticket. It's very simple. We have choices.

I can forgive Mozzer for allot, but fawning over Israel - no thanks.

I can assure you it wouldn't be popular here because having spent hundreds of years under British rule we tend to not be huge supporters of colonialism. I would comfortably say that the majority of Irish people have great sympathy with the Palestinians and their seemingly endless struggle.

However, I agree with your last point in that of course he should perform the songs he wants to perform. If anybody has issue with those tracks then they can do what I have done - don't buy the album and don't buy a ticket. It's very simple. We have choices.

I can forgive Mozzer for allot, but fawning over Israel - no thanks.

Without wanting to start a whole Israel-Palestine discussion here, I do feel a need to say this: If you would go and spend some time in Tel Aviv, it's likely you would come to see what makes Morrissey (and so many others) love it. It's simply one of the coolest cities in the world - in so many different ways. Honest!

David

Without wanting to start a whole Israel-Palestine discussion here, I do feel a need to say this: If you would go and spend some time in Tel Aviv, it's likely you would come to see what makes Morrissey (and so many others) love it. It's simply one of the coolest cities in the world - in so many different ways. Honest!

David
Very well said but the truth doesn’t sit well with their left wing agendas, it’s ironic really, the anti-fascists have actually become the fascists

The 'no-one likes us' t-shirts are a bit ridiculous.
If anything, the band have never been more acclaimed especially for their songwriting skills on the new album.
It's Morrissey's lyrics and interview comments that have attracted so much negativity and bad feeling.
It's not as if the band members are well known either. I still couldn't name them all (apart from Boz and Jesse) and I'm a Moz fan geek.

Very well said but the truth doesn’t sit well with their left wing agendas, it’s ironic really, the anti-fascists have actually become the fascists

It's interesting how you attribute sympathy for the Palestinians as "left wing" or an "agenda". What have I to gain for supporting the Palestinian cause? It's simply caring about a subjugated population that is living under a great tyranny. What has happened the Palestinians is a travesty. It is impossible to deny unless you distort the facts, and yet people are being called fascists for showing sympathy and concern toward these people? Strange logic. The Israeli administration is as close to fascism as one can come.

David

I don't doubt that David. By all accounts Tel Aviv is a fantastic city.

The 'no-one likes us' t-shirts are a bit ridiculous.
If anything, the band have never been more acclaimed especially for their songwriting skills on the new album.
It's Morrissey's lyrics and interview comments that have attracted so much negativity and bad feeling.
It's not as if the band members are well known either. I still couldn't name them all (apart from Boz and Jesse) and I'm a Moz fan geek.

Thought the t shirts were more ironic as it's also the motto of Millwall FC .Some people on here have had a sense of humour bypass.

Anybody have a full listing of pre show music and videos ,Lot of northern soul on music ,.,Recognised James brown ,four tops ,Dionne Warwick , ,ramones ,New York dolls .

It's interesting how you attribute sympathy for the Palestinians as "left wing" or an "agenda". What have I to gain for supporting the Palestinian cause? It's simply caring about a subjugated population that is living under a great tyranny. What has happened the Palestinians is a travesty. It is impossible to deny unless you distort the facts, and yet people are being called fascists for showing sympathy and concern toward these people? Strange logic. The Israeli administration is as close to fascism as one can come.
As I have already posted I’m not pro or anti Israel and I do have a great deal of sympathy for the Palestinian people, I was referring to antifa with my comments about left wing fascists, through my work I have met many ordinary Israelis and they have all been warm friendly people, the actions of their government does not stop me liking them or morrisseys new album

As I have already posted I’m not pro or anti Israel and I do have a great deal of sympathy for the Palestinian people, I was referring to antifa with my comments about left wing fascists, through my work I have met many ordinary Israelis and they have all been warm friendly people, the actions of their government does not stop me liking them or morrisseys new album

I took your comment up wrong - apologies. I agree with you re Antifa and yes of course, not all Israeli's agree with their government's policies. I always bear that in mind no matter my views.

I absolutely loved my first Morrissey concert in Glasgow on Saturday! Seeing the man, the legend for the first time and getting to the front and almost able to reach out and touch his hand was unforgettable, I'll never forget it. His voice sounded absolutely amazing, the tracks from LIHS worked so well live and he put so much feeling and energy into the performance.

'I Bury the Living' was a stand out track for me live - it sounded fantastic, passionate, angry, emotional.. and the little 'John' song at the end - *sigh* - Morrissey's voice was sublime, just delicious and if anything has improved with age as it's got deeper and more soulful and he still reaches those higher, falsetto notes so effortlessly.

Did I mention how good he looked? He's looking great by the way, very sexy ;)

For me personally, I didn't particularly enjoy 'World Peace is None of your Business'. I like the sentiment behind the song but don't like the twee tune that goes along with it.. it kind of bugs me...

Don't shoot me down in flames but I'm not a fan of 'Chain Gang'. Everyone around me at the front was going mad for it so I know I'm in the minority and it's hugely popular with the fans but I'd rather hear another Smiths track (There is a Light... Bigmouth... I Know it's Over... Panic...) or in my opinion 'classic Morrissey' (Glamorous Glue... You Have Killed Me... Something is Squeezing my Skull.. I'm Throwing my Arms...)

The end was a bit disappointing, it just fizzled out for me and I was surprised when the lights came on. Irish Blood was electric as a finale but I was kind of expecting to hear two songs as an encore and was looking forward to 'Israel' as he played it the night before in Aberdeen but alas, t'was not to be.

For the record, I didn't see any disgruntled Nicola Sturgeon supporters walk out. I think this is, once again, the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

There were a few drunken idiots in the crowd who didn't care who they trampled/elbowed/stood on in their quest to get to the front. I'm sure this is par for the course at concerts (I don't get out much :) ) but I'm only little and was on my own and a couple of times I didn't feel very safe, although there was some sanctuary at the barrier.

I know Boz is much loved by all but does anyone think he was going through the motions a bit on Saturday? As I said, I've never seen Morrissey live before but I didn't think Boz was that engaged in the performance. That said, I was on the right hand side and he was on the left, so I was quite far away from him. Still love him and he's definitely a legend in his own right but he didn't have a 'presence' but perhaps that's because Moz is so centre stage and dominant (as well he should).

I'm so jealous of everyone going to Leeds on Friday, hope you enjoy the show as much as I did! x

I love the song, it's beautiful and very poignant. Israel is, of course, the jewel of freedom in the middle east. Democratic debate, religious liberty, lbgt rights, pluralist politics, a media able to criticize govt, artists able to satirize or mock the political leaders. It is unparalleled in that part of the world.
But, of course, there is a shadow hanging over it. All those good things are built on a history of invasion, occupation , ethnic cleansing and force. Millions of people have been evicted from their lands and those who remain are subjected to siege, constant bombing, daily brutality and mass imprisonment.
If you call a song Israel, you cannot complain if people challenge you on it.
Morrissey's song is naieve, at best. Just throwing in the line that he cannot answer for "what armies do" is not good enough.
In "I bury the living" he calls on those who join armies to take responsibility for their decisions, to accept the guilt. Well, Israel's people are soldiers, one and all. The IDF is part of every Israeli family, every citizen.
You can't have it both ways.

Anybody have a full listing of pre show music and videos ,Lot of northern soul on music ,.,Recognised James brown ,four tops ,Dionne Warwick , ,ramones ,New York dolls .
From the previous night's gig via Similar2Sunday (there's no indication the videos were any different):
Here's the preshow videos

1. Loudmouth by The Ramones (1975 video)
2. Something Here in My Heart by Paper Dolls
3. How Soon is Now by t.a.T.u (Top of the Pops 2003)
4. Sound of the Crowd by The Human League (TV performance?: )
5. I'm Black and I'm Proud by James Brown (Playboy After Dark 1969)
6. Someday Someway by Robert Gordon
7. "We're Rich. We're family (?)" - film clip unknown to me
8. Don't Make Me Over by Dionne Warwick (1963)
9. "How important is one's nationality to one's identity" - British comedian clip
10. God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols
11. "The truth is, no 'white' American is sure he is white." - Jame Baldwin clip from "Baldwin's N----" (London, 1969: )
12. Sally's Song (from The Nightmare Before Christmas) by Fiona Apple (with montage of old b&w monster movie clips -- I'm unable to locate this montage video on youtube)
13. "There was a lot of rubbish" (?) female comedian clip unknown to me
14. L'insoumis film clip (from which the cover of The Queen is Dead is taken)
15. It's the Same Old Song by The Four Tops
16. Jet Boy by The New York Dolls
17. Lipsynka clip

Pre-show videos came on right at 8:30, show started about 9:15 and ended at about 10:40...... Snip.

Oh, The Human League video was TOTP 1981 I believe.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Nice post! I agree with much of what you said, he was on fine form! I thought the Setlist was fantastic and it was great to hear so much of LIHS. I disagree with the Boz part, I actually noticed him singing along to himself on a couple of occasions!

I absolutely loved my first Morrissey concert in Glasgow on Saturday! Seeing the man, the legend for the first time and getting to the front and almost able to reach out and touch his hand was unforgettable, I'll never forget it. His voice sounded absolutely amazing, the tracks from LIHS worked so well live and he put so much feeling and energy into the performance.

'I Bury the Living' was a stand out track for me live - it sounded fantastic, passionate, angry, emotional.. and the little 'John' song at the end - *sigh* - Morrissey's voice was sublime, just delicious and if anything has improved with age as it's got deeper and more soulful and he still reaches those higher, falsetto notes so effortlessly.

Did I mention how good he looked? He's looking great by the way, very sexy ;)

For me personally, I didn't particularly enjoy 'World Peace is None of your Business'. I like the sentiment behind the song but don't like the twee tune that goes along with it.. it kind of bugs me...

Don't shoot me down in flames but I'm not a fan of 'Chain Gang'. Everyone around me at the front was going mad for it so I know I'm in the minority and it's hugely popular with the fans but I'd rather hear another Smiths track (There is a Light... Bigmouth... I Know it's Over... Panic...) or in my opinion 'classic Morrissey' (Glamorous Glue... You Have Killed Me... Something is Squeezing my Skull.. I'm Throwing my Arms...)

The end was a bit disappointing, it just fizzled out for me and I was surprised when the lights came on. Irish Blood was electric as a finale but I was kind of expecting to hear two songs as an encore and was looking forward to 'Israel' as he played it the night before in Aberdeen but alas, t'was not to be.

For the record, I didn't see any disgruntled Nicola Sturgeon supporters walk out. I think this is, once again, the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

There were a few drunken idiots in the crowd who didn't care who they trampled/elbowed/stood on in their quest to get to the front. I'm sure this is par for the course at concerts (I don't get out much :) ) but I'm only little and was on my own and a couple of times I didn't feel very safe, although there was some sanctuary at the barrier.

I know Boz is much loved by all but does anyone think he was going through the motions a bit on Saturday? As I said, I've never seen Morrissey live before but I didn't think Boz was that engaged in the performance. That said, I was on the right hand side and he was on the left, so I was quite far away from him. Still love him and he's definitely a legend in his own right but he didn't have a 'presence' but perhaps that's because Moz is so centre stage and dominant (as well he should).

I'm so jealous of everyone going to Leeds on Friday, hope you enjoy the show as much as I did! x

Back
Top Bottom