Harvest ends contract with Morrissey - TTY

Why does anyone think a Smiths tour won't turn into the mess that Morrissey tours over the past years have become? He just can't put together a tour without cancelling half of the dates. A Smiths tour would be the same big mess as a Morrissey solo tour.

Yes and along with all the complaining that goes with it re set lists etc...

Doesn't he have enough, though?

The sad thing about money is that the more people have the more they seem to want.
If you're collecting for charity you're more likely to get donations in deprived areas than you are in more well-to-do places.

True.
The last sentence especially so.
I also cannot believe how useless Harvest actually were/are. I mean, some basic mistakes, a top class album to promote, a twitter
- titter not - that clearly was not approved.

I'm not convinced yet that it was not approved, at least initially. I remember at the time being skeptical at first, but then really believing the first few actually sounded like Morrissey (and not the Parody some still think is him), and then thinking to myself when the tweets took a very decided shift towards generic marketing that "someone" had taken it over. I wonder still if he got spooked at the voracious response (remember how quickly the followers grew?) and "face to face" contact that to this point he'd hidden from behind the safety of TTY?

The greatest tragedy of this isn't that we won't hear Moz again. We will. It's the bloody Smiths reunion chatter.

Won't ever happen, shouldn't ever happen. Just please stop. Morrissey sings the songs in concert, that's what you get, if you get it.

Johnny can sing passably and still show off his guitar skills like museum relics, as he's never created anything since to rival his Smiths days (unlike Morrissey). That's what you get, if you want it.

Morrissey has taken great pride in his solo days, and he should. It's the bulk of his work, and approx. 90% of it is good, great, or exceptional. He could have flamed out like so many singers gone solo have, he could have sold out, but he demonstrated that he wasn't merely a flash in the pan, but a legendary talent for the ages. He didn't have a "Let's Dance" phase or call himself Buster Poindexter, he stayed true to his self. Perhaps it won't be appreciated entirely until he's dead (and it's almost disturbing how some of the black and white images of Robin Williams in memorium almost look like Morrissey...how close could we be without knowing it? Let us pray several decades...).

Anyone old enough to have held down a job for a few years a quarter of a century ago will know it seems like another lifetime. Although the Smiths have the maybe dubious advantage of seeing and hearing in book, on record, and on video who they were in the band with, they will still feel like strangers to each other, and that is without the subsequent animosities.

I don't know if they will or will not reform. I do know it doesn't interest me, and as someone lucky enough to have seen them all those years ago I want to keep those memories pristine.
Johnny, you are one of the posters here I always look out for.
Even when I don't agree with you (although I do in this case), your posts are well thought out.

The greatest tragedy of this isn't that we won't hear Moz again. We will. It's the bloody Smiths reunion chatter.

Won't ever happen, shouldn't ever happen. Just please stop. Morrissey sings the songs in concert, that's what you get, if you get it.

Johnny can sing passably and still show off his guitar skills like museum relics, as he's never created anything since to rival his Smiths days (unlike Morrissey). That's what you get, if you want it.

Morrissey has taken great pride in his solo days, and he should. It's the bulk of his work, and approx. 90% of it is good, great, or exceptional. He could have flamed out like so many singers gone solo have, he could have sold out, but he demonstrated that he wasn't merely a flash in the pan, but a legendary talent for the ages. He didn't have a "Let's Dance" phase or call himself Buster Poindexter, he stayed true to his self. Perhaps it won't be appreciated entirely until he's dead (and it's almost disturbing how some of the black and white images of Robin Williams in memorium almost look like Morrissey...how close could we be without knowing it? Let us pray several decades...).

Well put.

Nicely said, Nitrate.

All you folk who don't want to see Moz and Marr together again. I bet you'll be first in line at the box office.

All you folk who don't want to see Moz and Marr together again. I bet you'll be first in line at the box office.

You're not wrong. Although I'm not too interested in a "Smiths" reunion whatever that might mean, I do think a Morrissey/Marr side project could inspire each other to produce some great work. I'd rather see them produce some new material than just touring the back catalogue.

A day ago I was in a great vintage shop and Half A Person was playing. I hear The Smiths a lot. I hear Morrissey solo songs also. The songs are so classic and beautiful, thanks to Morrissey. Come on, people , appreciate it for what it is. Who knows what the future holds for Morrissey- if all we have is what we have up to this point, we have a lot.

Last edited:
Re: Harvest Ends Contract with Morrissey - TTY

Thank you. I don't know why that tickled me so much but I've been laughing for, at least, the past three minutes nonstop. It completely changed my day. Thank you for doing that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You definitely need taste in your arse to listen to that. I just can't take his helium voice seriously. We have led Zeppelin. Why on earth would you settle for thrush?

Cool. So you pick one song 30+ years ago, & you deem that the entirety of their output, & therefore point closed/end of discussion. That's rational.

Why does anyone think a Smiths tour won't turn into the mess that Morrissey tours over the past years have become? He just can't put together a tour without cancelling half of the dates. A Smiths tour would be the same big mess as a Morrissey solo tour.

Good question but the simple answer is that it wouldn't be Steve Morrissey on his own making all the decisions.
It would be him and Mr Marr. Marr is everything that Steve isn't. Practical, realistic, good with people, level headed etc.
With Marr making 50% of the big decisions on the tour (in reality he'd probably make more), it would stand a massively greater chance of success.

It's a matter of personal taste. Again, it's only bedroom musos who have these sorts of debates.
I can tell you that Andy Rourke made at least four more albums that I would ever want to listen to than Geddy Lee ever did.
Who listens to Rush apart from aging hippies???

God damn. YOU'RE the idiot who made it a muso debate. My only point was, there are bands out there where the drummer is the 1st or 2nd attraction, Rush being one. That's it, end of story. I compared Mike Joyce to that phenomenon, & found his worth pales to that of Morrissey or Marr.

And if you don't know what you're talking about, how can you dare render definitive opinions. I understand not wanting to approach a band (there's tons of bands I never want to touch, no matter the accolades or passions of the fans), but I'd never go around making the absurd proclamations you do. I've heard every note Geddy Lee & Andy Roarke have created, & in my mind, Geddy has a more keen melodic ear (& he's writing two melodies (vocals & bass), as well as keyboards flourishes)...he is the Johnny Marr of that band, although I feel Mr. Marr is the more skilled composer. Heck, I'd even say Andy Roarke may have a better melodic ear than Alex Lifeson, but how much did Marr write of Roarke's stuff (writing credits & all that)? Either way, academics, scientists, artists, musicians, generally anybody with a humanist/philosophical bent & an adventurous streak enjoys Rush, young & old. Literally almost NO hippies are into freakin' Rush. I don't know why I'm talking to the arrogant ignorant, maybe out of respect for your Moz/Smiths fandom, who again, I deem the best band of all time (with Rush finishing 2nd or 3rd, in my opinion).

God damn. YOU'RE the idiot who made it a muso debate. My only point was, there are bands out there where the drummer is the 1st or 2nd attraction, Rush being one. That's it, end of story. I compared Mike Joyce to that phenomenon, & found his worth pales to that of Morrissey or Marr.

And if you don't know what you're talking about, how can you dare render definitive opinions. I understand not wanting to approach a band (there's tons of bands I never want to touch, no matter the accolades or passions of the fans), but I'd never go around making the absurd proclamations you do. I've heard every note Geddy Lee & Andy Roarke have created, & in my mind, Geddy has a more keen melodic ear (& he's writing two melodies (vocals & bass), as well as keyboards flourishes)...he is the Johnny Marr of that band, although I feel Mr. Marr is the more skilled composer. Heck, I'd even say Andy Roarke may have a better melodic ear than Alex Lifeson, but how much did Marr write of Roarke's stuff (writing credits & all that)? Either way, academics, scientists, artists, musicians, generally anybody with a humanist/philosophical bent & an adventurous streak enjoys Rush, young & old. Literally almost NO hippies are into freakin' Rush. I don't know why I'm talking to the arrogant ignorant, maybe out of respect for your Moz/Smiths fandom, who again, I deem the best band of all time (with Rush finishing 2nd or 3rd, in my opinion).

Actually, I listened to a load of Smiths again this morning focusing on the drumming and was mortified to discover how bland it was.
I apologise unreservedly and take back everything I said last night (apart from Rush being for hippies; that's still true!!!).

Tags
harvestrecords morrissey moz no album viva hate
Back
Top Bottom