Has any person damaged Morrissey more than Sam Etsy Rayner?

Thank you so much for letting me know. I don't really keep up with the journalists who are haters of Morrissey whether they work for a newspaper, the NME, magazines or are on the radio or on TV or on Twitter or whatever.

Do you know who Sean Calder is?

I have no idea.

Peter Morrissey
Johnny Rogan
Johnny Marr

How has Johnny damaged him? Moz had his feelings hurt back in the late 80s when JM broke up the band, but he soon found himself caught up in a highly successful solo career, far more successful than the Smiths. I don’t think Marr damaged Moz in the slightest.

How has Johnny damaged him? Moz had his feelings hurt back in the late 80s when JM broke up the band, but he soon found himself caught up in a highly successful solo career, far more successful than the Smiths. I don’t think Marr damaged Moz in the slightest.
Err, actually not more successful than the smiths at all by any meaningful way of measuring ie critical acclaim or record sales. Occasionally the solo live audience has been close to the smiths but that's all melted away rapidly in the last two years, and we all know why. In the meantime, Marr goes from strength to strength.

If The Smiths had continued and moved on the EMI, they would have reached a much bigger audience and their popularity would have grown more rapidly. We don't know how this would have compared to the success of Morrissey as a solo artist because this scenario never materialized, but it is difficult for me to imagine it otherwise.

As the anon post above mentioned, The Smiths have indeed sold many records over all the years. Morrissey as a solo artist breaking it in the US has certainly helped to bring the music of The Smiths to a much larger audience. Other artists quoting The Smiths as a musical reference also ensures that the legacy lives on and is passed on to the next generations.

Morrissey's solo career has been respectable and successful, but will it stand the test as well as the music of The Smiths?

Johnny crumbled the dream, didn't he? Morrissey recovered, his solo career has been great & he became an icon in his own right but he has never been 'far more successful' than the Smiths. If anything his career has been patchy, lots of 'controversy' that detracted from the music at times, persistent criticism of his solo musicians, long periods of time without a record deal. You could argue that if the Smiths had carried on for 10 years and deteriorated, that would have damaged Moz too, but it never happened. "Vauxhall and I" might be considered the best album of Morrissey's solo career, for example, but "The Queen is Dead" is seen as one of the best albums of all time. As he said, "I think a lot of people were very, very, surprised that I’ve continued to sell records. The general opinion was that once Johnny Marr unplugged the umbilical cord, I would just kind of deflate like a paddling pool.”

Last edited:
Johnny crumbled the dream, didn't he? Morrissey recovered, his solo career has been great & he became an icon in his own right but he has never been 'far more successful' than the Smiths. If anything his career has been patchy, lots of 'controversy' that detracted from the music at times, persistent criticism of his solo musicians, long periods of time without a record deal. You could argue that if the Smiths had carried on for 10 years and deteriorated, that would have damaged Moz too, but it never happened. Moz said, " I think a lot of people were very, very, surprised that I’ve continued to sell records. The general opinion was that once Johnny Marr unplugged the umbilical cord I would just kind of deflate like a paddling pool.” Thankfully he continued.
They were wrong!

Morrissey inflated to become what he is now.

Jesus! It's complex and unbelievable.

Many idiots are unaware that Morrissey would not be in the position he is now if it wasn't for Sam Rayner. Morrissey and Sam share an understanding of the world that intelligent people do not understand.

Many idiots are unaware that Morrissey would not be in the position he is now if it wasn't for Sam Rayner. Morrissey and Sam share an understanding of the world that intelligent people do not understand.

Hey Sam, how's it going?

Absolutely. Both are massively endearing, compassionate and talented individuals at all times. I call for dual knighthood.

Sam was too many tasks or jobs and probably is doing his best, but I don't think any person in the world can have the job of being:
-The web designer.
-The public relations assistant
-The director and main camera of the footage of the live concerts.
-The graphic designer of the albums and adverts.
-The community manager in social media.

I don't think any person in the world is truly qualified to have all these jobs at once. I don't blame Sam, but I think it's not a good idea to have the same person in charge of all these tasks, nobody can do it.

Mmmm..."intelligent people do not understand"...do you want to rephrase that? Do you have to be stupid to understand it?

Am I the only one hoping that Damon and Julia stage an intervention?

Back
Top Bottom