Has anyone got any info on this ?

I have seen this seller list smiths singles under the "translucent" tag before, I think he's clutching at straws to be honest, coming off the back of the Irish 7" solid centres, now there's value in them but as for these 12" my guess is he's just trying to milk the "Irish pressing" tag.

7" Irish pressings - YES
12" "Translucent" (massive emphasis on the quotation marks) - NO!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have seen this seller list smiths singles under the "translucent" tag before, I think he's clutching at straws to be honest, coming off the back of the Irish 7" solid centres, now there's value in them but as for these 12" my guess is he's just trying to milk the "Irish pressing" tag.

7" Irish pressings - YES

Irish pressings...what a load of old codswallop-what next, Welsh pressings..Scottish? Keep this rubbish where it belongs, back in the bogs of Ireland.

7" Irish pressings - YES

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............. I don't think that the "translucent" effect of holding the record up to the light is anything planned, it just appears to be an aspect of what is in fact a poor, obviously cheap pressing. Hold a flexi disc up to the light and it will do the same thing. Certainly, the 7" Smiths singles which Teldec/Zensor put out in West Germany appeared as a "translucent" deep red, when held up to the light. Bearing in mind that many of The Smiths' German releases were genuine coloured vinyl, I don't believe that that was planned, either.

Has the "Irish pressing" story been verified by anybody yet? It sounds perfectly plausible, as Rough Trade were known to put out (shall we diplomatically call them) "budget" UK pressings for overseas markets. I just wonder whether it would have been a worthwhile and economical action to send the plates out to be pressed in The Republic of Ireland, solely for their market. Presumably, Northern Ireland had the same pressings as elsewhere in the UK.

As well as the obvious solid centres of the 7" "Irish pressings" I noticed that they also all appear to have anti-slip serrations but that could just be a characteristic of one particular pressing plant.

Actually, these Irish pressings are legitimate. They were cut in Ireland at Carlton Productions. For everyone who says that these are cheap pressings, these are certainly not. They are not thin. I compared my original UK RT copy (A1/B1) of Meat is Murder on black vinyl with my Irish translucent pressing of Meat is Murder and I found the Irish pressing to be heavier and more sturdy. The reason why these are translucent is because Carlton Productions used Quiex II vinyl formula. I also compared the sound of the two and both are quiet pressings with great sound. They probably used the same master for both, or at least both were mastered by quality engineers. I'm selling my Irish pressing of Meat is Murder on ebay now because I need the money, if anyone is interested.

I must agree with the above.
The Irish pressing is not of poor quality.
Owning both, I concur with the previous 'anon'.
Regards,
FWD

Back
Top Bottom