Have you ever thought about suicide?

Have you ever thought about suicide?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No. Never. What the hell is wrong with you?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes. All the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

Cosmic Dancer

I just want to see if thinking about suicide is or isn't common for those who aren't medicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to see if thinking about suicide is or isn't common for those who aren't medicated.

Assuming you are not into a statistics discussion*
Pondering s. is a symptom. Go to a professional, please. Call the Samaritans.

Are you the same poster who posted often about s.?
Plz have a look at my "visitor message thingy" I put some links there because this was discussed before on here

Cheers

Quiffaa

* No its not. Only those can be medicated who openly contacted a professional/ dr.

*(Even fictional) stories about s. trigger actual s. Therefore for a long time even train delays were not announced as caused by this in germany. It changed after a well known person killed himself last year.

Trying not to fall into the "Been there - Ditched the t-Shirt before" again

Hmmm.

Cosmic Dancer, this is a déja vu

we`ve been here before, see my post
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1348545&postcount=39
from the thread
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=110335&page=2

Either you could benefit from contact with professionals asap
or what other posters suggested that you might be what some call attention seeking and others trolling might be true.

In both cases I think its not fruitful to go on here.
I checked the threads you opened and realised that this theme is like a simmering pot, that gets on and of the fire. Its simmering in, not getting anywhere, maybe even triggering people

I said/wrote what I had to say about he issue and wont comment any further.

I hope I wont fall into this again next time.

Cheers

Quiffaa

Only when there are too many bloody polls on morrissey-solo.com forums
(racist sod)

can you all stop telling me to see a shrink I am already medicated n seeing one thou meds aint working

can you all stop telling me to see a shrink I am already medicated n seeing one thou meds aint working

Most SSRI need quite a while before they start kicking in effectivewise.
Maybe you need a different brand or type of medication/additional/alternative treatment
Plz get in contact with the professional you chose and tell them you are unsatisfied with the current situation.

Cheers

Quiffaa

Some research indicate that any result achieved by meds is placebo. The same thing goes for therapy.

Some research differs. Why aren`t people just given different coloured placebos? (Where I live the Health Service would love to cut this down)

Knowing for a fact that medication* does indeed do help/ does contain more than sugar, I still dont want to enter a studies battle here.

I think that if the meds did not kick in than someone is esp vulnerable esp to doom and gloom prophecy which is unfounded.

Cheers

Quiffaa

--------------------------------------------

*Different strokes for different folks

My understanding is that it is a combination of medication and cognitive therapy that really help you change your perspective. The thing is there are a lot of valid reasons to feel hopeless. That's a fact. I get depressed by suffering that I know is happening all around me that I can't do anything about and sometimes feel it would be better if we were all erased. Two thoughts on that, though. There is also all kinds of good stuff happening all around us too, and I think that maybe seeking that out instead of the darkness can actually change and have an effect on your relationships and people and situations you deal with and actually make things better. Feeling pain and being aware of suffering doesn't make it go away. If you don't ever try to do anything about it especially, it just makes you feel worse, and you spread that negativity around.

People get angry with this because they have their own problems. Maybe mistakenly they believe you are using these threads to seek sympathy. But maybe you're just trying to start a discussion on some serious issues.

100% truth, it gets old and annoying for the reasons above and plus the fact that at any second we could launch into WWIII and be dead in 20 minutes or so and yet we're all trying to have some kind of positive interconnections and have a reason not to blow our own brains out. So don't take it personally because you're just someone representing that nagging thought about how fragile everyone's existence is.

But... if can't talk about suicide on a Morrissey forum, where are you supposed to go? Right? So I think everyone should relax, and don't read it if you don't want to see it. Otherwise give the benefit of the doubt and treat it like a discussion. A lot of interesting people have committed suicide or been suicidal (and a lot recovered) and I don't really see the reason for the anger that someone would want to talk about it. If you feel it's a pity party then decline the invitation. :thumb:

My understanding is that it is a combination of medication and cognitive therapy that really help you change your perspective. The thing is there are a lot of valid reasons to feel hopeless. That's a fact. I get depressed by suffering that I know is happening all around me that I can't do anything about and sometimes feel it would be better if we were all erased. Two thoughts on that, though. There is also all kinds of good stuff happening all around us too, and I think that maybe seeking that out instead of the darkness can actually change and have an effect on your relationships and people and situations you deal with and actually make things better. Feeling pain and being aware of suffering doesn't make it go away. If you don't ever try to do anything about it especially, it just makes you feel worse, and you spread that negativity around.

People get angry with this because they have their own problems. Maybe mistakenly they believe you are using these threads to seek sympathy. But maybe you're just trying to start a discussion on some serious issues.

100% truth, it gets old and annoying for the reasons above and plus the fact that at any second we could launch into WWIII and be dead in 20 minutes or so and yet we're all trying to have some kind of positive interconnections and have a reason not to blow our own brains out. So don't take it personally because you're just someone representing that nagging thought about how fragile everyone's existence is.

But... if can't talk about suicide on a Morrissey forum, where are you supposed to go? Right? So I think everyone should relax, and don't read it if you don't want to see it. Otherwise give the benefit of the doubt and treat it like a discussion. A lot of interesting people have committed suicide or been suicidal (and a lot recovered) and I don't really see the reason for the anger that someone would want to talk about it. If you feel it's a pity party then decline the invitation. :thumb:

Exactly this. Cosmic Dancer, are you having CBT or another kind of therapy, if you don't mind me asking?

Thought about it...too afraid to do it, part of me asks, what's the point in life? Should I leave? the other park says, you may aswell just give it a go and see where this existance leaves...the outcome is the same in the end

I know suicide is a serious subject but I think it's a really selfish way out, it's cowardly and childish, I'd only empathize if somebody wanted to end their own life if someone was terminally ill or something similar to that, but someone who can't cope with life because they're just a bit fed up I have little sympathy for them.

If nobody was vastly affected by the act, then it would simply be a matter of choice. But there is almost always somebody who would be vastly affected.

Terminal illness is another matter entirely..

When you say thinking about suicide do you mean you think about it, what the world would be like after you've gone, who and how much you'd be missed, etc? That much is not at all abnormal or even all that essentially dangerous. Just morbid curiosity wandering into taboo territory.

If you mean suicidal ideation (developing a plan, choosing a weapon, place, time, etc.) then a trip to the ER is imperative - especially if developing that plan gives you a sense of comfort and relief.

Many medications are proven to be effective, however, if the role of your psychiatrist is simply to dispense meds, the process is equivalent to taking opiates for a broken arm. The pain goes away but the underlying problem persists - hence the efficacy of meds+CBT in long term treatment. If you are a teen, approach medication with caution as risk of suicide increases in the short term with many meds.

As for the placebo effect attributed to some medications, lets not forget that the problem is all in your head and if the treatment is all in your head, it shouldn't matter. I should note that by 'all in your head' I don't mean people imagine depression, I simply mean that etiologically the disorder is located in synaptic activity the brain. Placebos can be powerful treatments (in the form of sugar pills, aura-shaping, acupuncture needles, theology, etc.) especially when at least 40% of disorder are triggered or propagated psychosomatically.

However, it may well be that many people who fixate on suicide are not suffering from depression or dysthymia, but from disorders such as (Axis II) Borderline Personality disorder. 'Scratchers' account for the majority of suicide treatments in many hospitals, using up valuable public resources. Such people may fixate on the impact of (their) suicide on others as a means of asserting power and control over them. Personality is not 'fixable' with a pill and only partially treatable with cognitive-behavioural therapy. Some doctors have begun treating this by not intervening and letting the patient choose suicide if they wish (thereby removing the controlling properties of the act). It is early yet, but this seems to result in fewer successes (i.e. suicides) over the long term.

I know suicide is a serious subject but I think it's a really selfish way out, it's cowardly and childish, I'd only empathize if somebody wanted to end their own life if someone was terminally ill or something similar to that, but someone who can't cope with life because they're just a bit fed up I have little sympathy for them.

Do you not think that a life time suffering with depression is a terminal illness I think it is a bit deeper than being a little fed up. Where i do agree with you that it is selfish but only because depression is a very selfish condition but the sufferer has no control over this I certainly do not agree that it is childish or cowardly.

Back
Top Bottom