Morrissey Central "HELLO HELL" (April 19, 2021)

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

Morrissey_Band_G013_copy_2_vq4iws.jpg

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, some of you made the news

(they're using actual quotes from this thread (or another), if I'm not mistaken.)

he's not being mocked for simply "speaking out" like he wants to portray. Nor is he being mocked and ignored by record labels or whatever else he's crying about because he dares to have an opinion and all this other hilarious strawman rubbish. The Simpsons made fun of him, big deal lol

He is being being mocked & shunned for speaking out. He hasn't done anything else.

Any links?

You mean besides the link I posted that links to a tweet linking to the article, that links to a plethora of articles...?

No, sorry.

The Trump analogy is not a good one as he has been accused of many credible instances of pedophilia. Google it.

The Simpsons satire is over the top. that is the realm of cartoons.You can depict crazy things like Quilloughby shooting sausages at his audience. No one would think Morrissey would really do that. Would they?
People that do not know Morrissey other than "That depressing guy" could easily be led to believe he was being hypocritical about meat.

I think for every Trump is a pedo post you can find one for Bill Clinton.
Since neither people are worth actually talking about I will take your word that my analogy was not very good.

(...)

-"The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge.

-Oh, boohoo. Look in your pocket!

- (...) My own credit card!! ....Did you put it there?!?

-Nmgngnmynoaybe."

One thing is to make fun about someone and another thing is to be mean while laughing at someone. This is obviously offensive. There was a time when The Simpsons was a good show, but that ended long time ago in the middle of the 90s. I don't agree with everything that Morrissey has said in the past (with exceptions), but I agree with him on this one.
(Johnny Marr and Mike Joyce don't look as bad!)
screen-shot-2021-04-19-at-12-09-10-pm-1618849032.png

I wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if a belligerent audience member at one of the future concerts shouted "Quilloughbyyyyyy!!!" or "Hamburger is Homicide" between songs.
This is bound to happen in the future when all’s well.

BtBB 🇬🇧 :knife:

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

View attachment 71275

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Related item:
I Don't know what Morrissey means when he says, "and even with the impossible to imagine legal artillary, (and I don't mean the spelling mistake). Also the line at the end, "you know I couldn't last".
What do these lines mean, in context to the sentences they are part of.
I asked someone here and they seemed puzzled too.

I Don't know what Morrissey means when he says, "and even with the impossible to imagine legal artillary, (and I don't mean the spelling mistake). Also the line at the end, "you know I couldn't last".

He means that even if he won a libel case it wouldn't mend his broken heart.

You know I couldn't last is (nearly) the title of this song about how tough the music industry is.

I thought about that artille(a)ry sentence a lot yesterday. I came to the conclusion that he probably means legal (as in the opposite of 'illegal') "artillery fire". So in context: "...even [if you're under an unimaginable amount of fire and can't do anything about it, because it's not illegal what they're doing,] everything can be repaired... except the human heart"

The "You know I couldn't last" line makes a lot of sense when you look at the rest of the lyrics of the song, because it deals with the topic of being under attack by the press, critics etc.

The whispering
May hurt you
But the printed word
Might kill you

I was surprised he didn't include this one in live sets in recent years, because it seems so spot on...

I took the last lines as a sign of resignation and also of unwillingness to pursue the issue further, which is also indicated in the opening line "This is my first comment (and hopefully my last)".

Last edited:
He means that even if he won a libel case it wouldn't mend his broken heart.

That's what I thought at first too, but it makes no sense if you look at the structure of the sentence.

It was satire the way the portrayed him as a super exaggerated caricature of his personality and they did a pretty good job of that but they did use a lot of tired methods that one just comes to expect at this point.

For someone who knows of Morrissey but doesn't really know him the take-away would be that he actually now eats meat. That's not satire.. that's a deliberate misrepresentation of who he is.

If you use satire to make fun of Trump but it suddenly has him a pedophile that's flat out being dishonest about the things you dislike about him.
I think you misunderstand the satire.

I don't think anyone is supposed to think he is a meat eater. It was more to do with contradiction between the meat eating and the dislike of foreigners.

From the definition of satire:

"Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often social criticism, using humour to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society."

I think the "purpose" in this sketch in relation to your points was to draw attention to his dislike of immigration and other such views.

There are different forms of satire and one is called reversal in which an author subverts a situation to present an inversion of how things really are back to the reader. It usually involves a story which presents the opposite of normalcy in order to make a satirical point about it.

That is clearly being used in that sketch.

It isn't unusual for people to be ridiculed in satire and has been done for decades against many people.

Obviously the famous incidents related to the cartoons created in the Charlie Hebdo magazine that clearly depicted Muhammad in scenarios that would never be reality including running around naked etc etc caused great offence and terrorist attacks on the back of them. But do you believe that shouldn't have been depicted too?

if i thought someone was an arse and his views abhorrent then i wouldnt be anywhere near a website dedicated to that person.the trouble with people who absolutely hate M is that M sits in the back of their mind 24 hours a day,for me its a very unhealthy way of life.
You may speak for yourself on that.

Many people involve themselves in things to speak up against views etc. The role of an activist for example.

Some people, like yourself, would prefer to remove yourself from any such environment but many people believe that to be apathy and would prefer to express their own views.

Suggesting that every person who feels they want to speak up or be active against something is an unhealthy way to live is a little short sighted and personal to you.

People that do not know Morrissey other than "That depressing guy" could easily be led to believe he was being hypocritical about meat.

I think for every Trump is a pedo post you can find one for Bill Clinton.
Since neither people are worth actually talking about I will take your word that my analogy was not very good.
Do you think people who do not know Morrissey other than "That depressing guy" actually give a sh*t whether he eats meat or not?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom