History will not be kind to Johnny Marr

butley

He split The Smiths under false pretenses. The songs he has been involved with since are mostly rubbish and his latest stuff is the worse. The guitars start and all is glistening and good and VERY like The Smiths and then his god awful singing, vocal melodies and lyrics begin.
He has said time and time again he needed to do different stuff than with The Smiths and so he left but he has actually ended up plying(sic) below par Smiths songs. Nobody mention Electronic-they turned out to be a waste of space and it was years ago...

Re: butley's opinion is unkind to Johnny Marr

He split The Smiths under false pretenses. The songs he has been involved with since are mostly rubbish and his latest stuff is the worse. The guitars start and all is glistening and good and VERY like The Smiths and then his god awful singing, vocal melodies and lyrics begin.
He has said time and time again he needed to do different stuff than with The Smiths and so he left but he has actually ended up plying(sic) below par Smiths songs. Nobody mention Electronic-they turned out to be a waste of space and it was years ago...

Some people only come here to complain / vent things they don't like.

Hopefully vBulletin will add thread ignore function for next upgrade.

Last edited:
Nobody mention Electronic-they turned out to be a waste of space and it was years ago...

Well, Bernard has just texted me that they're going to reform. So there! :)

And Johnny Marr is only human, of flesh, and bone, (and Raybans) he's maaaade.

butley you waste of space, you are a disgrace to the human race. Go get a life you loser.
Trying to sound clever? Does that make you feel important? YOU FAIL.
Do one.
Don't bother replying, I am not wasting any more time on you.

Pop music's a young man's game so nobody's going to be hanging around for the next big musical movement to come from people in their 50's. If they're still making anything good it's a bonus. Most "great" bands maybe made one or two good albums, Marr gave us at least six. Not bad history really.

History will be very kind to Johnny Marr. He's one of the five greatest songwriters of all-time. A lot of his new material is superb. Shining examples of this are songs such as "The Messenger," "The It-Switch," "European Me," and of course "New Town Velocity." I personally like Johnny's voice, and I'm not just saying that. I enjoy his singing. Even if history agrees with you, about his work after The Smiths, it will still highly regard the tremendous songs he wrote for the band. That alone assures that history will remember Johnny Marr fondly.

Johnny f***in Marr.jpg

Johnny's still the f***in' man.

Johnny could go on a murder spree and never put out anything good again and he'd still be a guitar god and my favorite guitar player of all time. Followed by Bernard Butler and John Squire. I mean The Smiths were only around for 5 years...5 years.. and the out put and the quality is only paralleled by The Beatles. And don't forget all the guest studio stuff he's done and the other bands he has been in, Electronic, The The, Cribs.. Basically, he has nothing to prove, he's the greatest.

What a strange proposition.
If history can be arsed at all to recall a pop artist it will reflect on his greatest period, ie, The Smiths.
Why would it concentrate on anything else?
The story of Paul McCartney will not be C-moon or The Frog song.

This thread title might have been relevant in 1988 but a big chunk of history has now passed, and clearly it has been very kind to Marr, despite his patchy post-Smiths output.
Marr is still held in almost universal acclaim as a brilliant guitarist and songwriter, and an all round top bloke.
Morrissey, on the other hand, is increasingly seen as a foolish, unpleasant bigot who has struggled to produce hardly anything of note without the songwriting skills of Marr. I'm not saying this is the correct viewpoint. It's just the wider consensus.

I just meant it is clear now he had big ideas when he left The Smiths that practically came to nothing. I think he wanted a little of the attention Morrissey was getting but he could not achieve that. His work in The Smiths is exemplary of course but he seemed to get ideas above his station,none of which really came to fruition. A lot of Morrissey's solo work is as good as The Smiths, none of Johnny Marr's is.

I just meant it is clear now he had big ideas when he left The Smiths that practically came to nothing. I think he wanted a little of the attention Morrissey was getting but he could not achieve that. His work in The Smiths is exemplary of course but he seemed to get ideas above his station,none of which really came to fruition. A lot of Morrissey's solo work is as good as The Smiths, none of Johnny Marr's is.
Yeah, I love the solo work.
(Whispers) In fact I prefer it to the Smiths.

Some Marr facts:

He split up the Smiths because he believed:

1) he would have more success elsewhere
2) he was the best thing about the band
2) being in the Smiths was restricting his creativity
3) Morrissey was holding him back

When he left the Smiths he:

1) Slagged off Morrissey publicly
2) befriended people who publicly slagged off Morrissey
3) Slagged of Morrissey's solo out-put publicly
4) Contacted Morrissey and asked for a reunion but kept it quiet

Since the Smiths Morrissey has toured the world released hit albums and singles and become a culturally important world-wide icon.

Since the Smiths Marr has worked with loads of people here and there to little effect including Modest Mouse, the Cribs, Bernard Sumner, Matt Johnson and has had largely 2 unsuccessful solo albums

Some strange revisionist ideas here that Johnny somehow thought he was going to leave the Smiths and have huge success on his own as an artist. Did he launch into a solo career? Form his own band to trouch the memory of the Smiths? No, he laregly kept his head down, and had fun playing with people he liked. Hardly a bid for stadom.

He's said on more than one occasion that when he left the Smiths, if it meant going back on the dole and being unemployed, he would have preferred it to the situation at the time. All the evidence points to Johnny leaving due to a combination of huge amounts of stress and pressure, complicated by mind-games from a jealous Morrissey who wanted to keep him all to himself (even Morrissey's autobiography makes his jealousy and sense of ownership over Johnny perfectly clear).

But why he left is ultimately immaterial. He doesn't owe you, or 'history' anything.

Some strange revisionist ideas here that Johnny somehow thought he was going to leave the Smiths and have huge success on his own as an artist. Did he launch into a solo career? Form his own band to trouch the memory of the Smiths? No, he laregly kept his head down, and had fun playing with people he liked. Hardly a bid for stadom.

He's said on more than one occasion that when he left the Smiths, if it meant going back on the dole and being unemployed, he would have preferred it to the situation at the time. All the evidence points to Johnny leaving due to a combination of huge amounts of stress and pressure, complicated by mind-games from a jealous Morrissey who wanted to keep him all to himself (even Morrissey's autobiography makes his jealousy and sense of ownership over Johnny perfectly clear).

But why he left is ultimately immaterial. He doesn't owe you, or 'history' anything.

not true he left and pretty soon after (1988) he recorded and toured with The The (2 albums) and at the same time Electronic (4 albums) - he wasn't doing it for laughs quietly he was after immediate success and numerous hits that didn't arrive.

He didn't leave because he was stressed. He left because he listened to all those jealous front men and insiders, the movers and shakers who were whispering "Morrissey holding you back" "You're the real talent" "Morrissey's unreliable" "Morrissey doesn't have mainstream appeal" "Morrissey's too much of a diva" "Morrisey's only famous because of you" "Your music is a gift anyone can sing anything over the top and make those tracks a hit".................

numerous hits that didn't arrive.

Electronic's debut album charted at #2. 'Get the Message' and 'Dissappointed' were both top 10 singles, whilst 'Getting Away With It' slightly missed out at #12.

I bet Johnny was close to slashing his wrists with depression at his chart faliure.

not true he left and pretty soon after (1988) he recorded and toured with The The (2 albums) and at the same time Electronic (4 albums) - he wasn't doing it for laughs quietly he was after immediate success and numerous hits that didn't arrive.

He didn't leave because he was stressed. He left because he listened to all those jealous front men and insiders, the movers and shakers who were whispering "Morrissey holding you back" "You're the real talent" "Morrissey's unreliable" "Morrissey doesn't have mainstream appeal" "Morrissey's too much of a diva" "Morrisey's only famous because of you" "Your music is a gift anyone can sing anything over the top and make those tracks a hit".................

*shakes head*
Johnny was 23 years of age when the band split up - same age as I was.
And while I was driving a delivery van for Progressive Print Services in Sale, Johnny had spent the previous 4 years writing music for 4 albums, non stop touring and promotional commitments on top of co producing albums and then the added pressure of the band not having a manager. So as the rest of the band slept at night, Johnny was tweaking the recordings here and there at the mixing deck. And then he has to go off and deal with Salford Van Hire who are threatening action because a bill hasn't been paid...... and you say he wasn't stressed?

Jukebox ''Johnny Is A City Fan'' Jury

Back
Top Bottom