Homophobia on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin McCann

First off, I should point out that I'm NOT actually THE Martin McCann, singer from the fantastic Dublin-based band 'Sack', nor am I any of the other users, past and present, I have been accused of being.
I say this because recently I was compelled to challenge homophobic remarks made by several of the regular posters here, and had to do so in a forceful and abrasive fashion, after my initial objections were greeted by more strident and blatant homophobia, and I don't want my posts to be attributed to the real Martin, therefore I won't be posting again with this screen name.
It never ceases to amaze me that so-called Morrissey fans can also be homophobes, who feel it necessary to pollute Morrissey fan forums with their despicable views, however 'subtle' or guarded they attempt to be.
Isn't it time that this site stopped upsetting and embarrassing Morrissey with such hateful attacks on gay people, as well as the stream of abuse directed at poor Julia, and, most astonishing of all, the never ending personal attacks against, and criticisms of, Morrissey himself!

Last edited:
we dont need this facist groove thang

agreed. any kind of discrimination and prejudice is bang out of order - basically either ignorance of a high kind or reading too much of the Daily Mail.
agree also of the abuse directed at Morrissey and also at Julia but disagree with the comment about criticism of Morrissey. I dont recall criticising him myself, but some others have felt justified in doing so. as long as it is a balanced judgement and factual (ie not rumour) then I have no problem with that (for example, the palaver over the Isle of Wight festival last year, cancelling it with 2 weeks to go when surely someone in the camp knew tickets were being sold four months before......)

The Goat

Re: we dont need this facist groove thang

Don't let them scare you off, Martin.
This is a wonderful site with hundreds apon hundreds of users.

It's just a shame that a dozen or so disruptive people find their way in and make such a dreadful mark on the site.
We'll weed them out eventually, I promise.

The only way to combat them is to continue posting in the valiant and constructive way you have been doing.

Edit by Mada: No need, dazzak. No need.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pure insecurities on their part if you ask me. I have yet to meet anyone who can truly justify to me why the needs these people who hate gay people is, its absurd and utterly uncalled for. Sadly, they are everywhere one turns but as the saying says, what goes around comes around and people like these get what's coming to them to them sooner or later for their ignorance and intolarance.

Here here Martin Mc Cann!
Thanks for starting this thread. Couldn't agree more.
Unfortunately there are always a few loose cannons out there with their small minded opinions.
Viva Morrissey and the music.

According to Martin, I'm a homophobe.

Wow, never knew that.
Martin is an idiot, and much too touchy.

Homophobia is indeed wrong, but I'm not sure he understands what it means.
I know what real homophobia is, I've worked in the gay district of my city for 2 years now.
I've seen real injustice, attacks, and pure hate.
What Martin considers homophobia, I'd have to label everyone one of my coworkers and friends, including those who are gay, homophobes.

(and jeeze, we can't criticise Morrissey on this site? so much for freedom of expression)

dallow_bg said:

Wow, never knew that.

I know what real homophobia is, I've worked in the gay district of my city for 2 years now.
What Martin considers homophobia, I'd have to label everyone one of my coworkers and friends, including those who are gay, homophobes.

(and jeeze, we can't criticise Morrissey on this site? so much for freedom of expression)
Conversely, Dallow, homophobia isn't just being called a fag or being beaten up. Homophobia can simply be an intolerance towards gay people. Doesn't take a pitchfork. I know what you mean, though.

dazzak said:
Conversely, Dallow, homophobia isn't just being called a fag or being beaten up. Homophobia can simply be an intolerance towards gay people. Doesn't take a pitchfork. I know what you mean, though.

Ah yes. I've seen plenty of intolerance as well. Sadly.
There was one individual who I had a bit of a confrontation with...
He wasn't mean, or hateful, towards homosexuals, but yes, his attitude, or how he regarded them, was quite disturbing.
After pointing out to him his own insecurities I stopped talking to him.

Good thing he was a lousy worker, and got fired soon after.

dallow_bg said:

Wow, never knew that.

So you're a liar as well as a fool.
I didn't say you were a homophobe, I merely questioned why you would support 'codreanu' so enthusiastically, who IS homophobic, as well as being a racist and a generally unpleasant character.
The fact that you used the example given below to support his/your argument was, in my view, clumsy and insensitive.

"Most of my straight friends think the idea of homosexual sex is pretty gross.
And some of my gay friends think heterosexual sex is gross.
It's the butt (no pun intended) of many jokes."

I called you to account for this, but I didn't accuse you of being homophobic, although, why you would associate with the neanderthals you alluded to in your post is puzzling, if you really are the sensitive and compassionate liberal you claim to be.

In conclusion, I consider you to be a person of dubious character and I have no further interest in you.

The Goat said:
agreed. any kind of discrimination and prejudice is bang out of order - basically either ignorance of a high kind or reading too much of the Daily Mail.
agree also of the abuse directed at Morrissey and also at Julia but disagree with the comment about criticism of Morrissey. I dont recall criticising him myself, but some others have felt justified in doing so. as long as it is a balanced judgement and factual (ie not rumour) then I have no problem with that (for example, the palaver over the Isle of Wight festival last year, cancelling it with 2 weeks to go when surely someone in the camp knew tickets were being sold four months before......)

The Goat

When I decried the amount of criticism aimed at Morrissey on this site, I was thinking of the constant stream of criticism for it's own sake, from the incessant moaning about set lists/length of sets, to the flood of virulent posts proclaiming ROTT to be "crap", the singles to be "crap", the b-sides to be "crap", along with posts from those bitter about Morrissey's decision to not play in Canada or that he hasn't announced any further US dates, and the usual glut of posts attacking him for "neglecting" this site in favour of true-to-you.net.
It never stops and it's not what most of us signed up for here.
The whole idea that Morrissey "owes" his fans is utter nonsense. On the contrary, we owe HIM a massive debt of gratitude for all he's done to enhance our lives.

I totally agree there Martin. I have no problems with anyone who makes criticism but it must be constructive and respectful. Morrissey owes us no explanations about any aspect of his work or life. And to be fair, I can see why Morrissey favours true to you - which is a real shame, as it is a minority that spoils it for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Martin McCann said:
When I decried the amount of criticism aimed at Morrissey on this site, I was thinking of the constant stream of criticism for it's own sake, from the incessant moaning about set lists/length of sets, to the flood of virulent posts proclaiming ROTT to be "crap", the singles to be "crap", the b-sides to be "crap", along with posts from those bitter about Morrissey's decision to not play in Canada or that he hasn't announced any further US dates, and the usual glut of posts attacking him for "neglecting" this site in favour of true-to-you.net.
It never stops and it's not what most of us signed up for here.
The whole idea that Morrissey "owes" his fans is utter nonsense. On the contrary, we owe HIM a massive debt of gratitude for all he's done to enhance our lives.

lol, funny, nice one freeyourself/Martin, good to see you got your IP issues sorted out!

By the way, did I ever say I think you smell? and your postings exude dog poo from my pc monitor whenever you post here, no matter from what name or IP address.

Keep on rockin' fatty! ;) :)

although, why you would associate with the neanderthals you alluded to in your post is puzzling, if you really are the sensitive and compassionate liberal you claim to be.

I guess I'm just more open-minded about people.
Eesh! And don't call me a liberal! Don't call me anything.

Is it really freeyourself? I should have guessed.

So basically, if you don't agree that it's obvious that Morrissey is 100% percent gay that makes you homophobic and you deserve to get called a bigot plus any other names that the "outraged" can think of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom