How many of you dont like Roxy Music anymore?

How can anyone decide not to like a band anymore? You mean, what used to happen in your heart and mind when you heard the chords of "Virginia Plain" doesn't happen anymore because you know something new about the lead singer? You can of course decide that something Bryan Ferry does is more important than the music, but you still can't simply decide not to like the music......

How can anyone decide not to like a band anymore? You mean, what used to happen in your heart and mind when you heard the chords of "Virginia Plain" doesn't happen anymore because you know something new about the lead singer? You can of course decide that something Bryan Ferry does is more important than the music, but you still can't simply decide not to like the music......

But they don't, they let Morrissey make their decisions for them!

But they don't, they let Morrissey make their decisions for them!

Yes I agree there are people like that. Pete Burns wears fur but just because he wears fur doesn't mean I'm gonna like him any less. I like him because he's an interesting and entertaining person and his music is good.

What's the fact that he wears fur got to do with anything that's just as silly as not liking someone because they might drink wine and you don't like it.

I do remember a few posters here decided a short while ago that no one has the right to be as unreasonable as Morrissey: Moz and Moz alone has earned the right to be completely, belligerently irrational. The rest of us should know better. :thumb:

I still like Roxy, how could I not? I have not much interest in ever seeing them live and to be honest I have never been a big Brian Ferry fan, it's the way he moves his shoulders- yuke!
But I could never not like the music just because of what Morrissey has said.
It made me giggle when people started bitching about Bowie on here just because Morrissey had started being nasty about him- he doesn't even mean half the things he says.

What strikes me as odd is the fact that Morrissey was so surprised to find out that this man is Conservative. I wasn't surprised really. Look at his band's album covers, talk about style over substance. I like decadence as an aesthetic sometimes and not a way of life. Poor Bryan Ferry took it too literally. Hunting for sport is the hallmark of decadence. His son Otis (or "Odious" as Morrissey put it) probably didn't do much in his life in order for father Ferret to be proud of. So Bryan covers his shame by claiming to be proud of his son Otis. If he supports hunting fine, but they are other critical flaws that we can base judgement of him on, other than his apparent lack of concern for animal rights. Morrissey may seem narrow-minded but at least he is consistent and I would say, rather dubiously, that he has 'integrity'.

Early Roxy Music is unbelievable, musically and lyrically. Pulp and Suede had some great moments but you go back and listen to those tracks -- they're unmatched. Bowie, T-Rex and Roxy Music -- must have been an incredible time.
I like some of the later Ferry solo stuff.

There's a newspaper photo of Ferry taken on a plane that all aboard thought was going to go down. It's the face of a man who believes he's about to die. After that Ferry decided to start doing Roxy Music gigs again. Why he got into fox hunting I have no idea. It was a fairly well known fact, which made it surprising that Morrissey hadn't heard about it.

On Morrissey's instructions I am no longer going to see them on tour.

And I have stopped reading the Michael Bracewell's (good mate of Morrisseys) book "Roxy Music"

His narrative ends as Roxy Music proper begins. Instead, Roxy is the story of Sixties Britain; from the fashion and hairstyles to the key players in the artistic and academic milieu that contributed to the formation of a band rooted in the artifice of the era. This sometimes over-extensive cultural commentary is interspersed with the author's interviews with the band. Roxy is, however, not merely the gushing of a star-struck Bryan Ferry fan, but a demanding thesis that intertwines biographies with social history in a style that mimics the author's account of the band's own creation, ultimately transcending the genre of music biography.

And I've also deleted the 6 Roxy Music albums I have on my I-pod.

That should do it Odious and Mr Ferret. Now off to the Boxing Day hunt with you both, whatto

No one can dictate what i will listen to....i love the old Roxy Music records...and there are things i just don't like about Moz himself...his horrible posh style of clothes that not fit him at all.....made by Chinese hardworking people...

I do lots of things Morrissey would disagree with. Listen to Roxy Music, eat meat, enjoy leather shoes, vote Conservative, despise Jobriath, have intercourse with people of the opposite gender. Just because he deplores the above doesn't mean I should feel any remorse for doing it.

Well, each to their own.

Which is a phrase I wish Morrissey would really embrace.

Actually, I think that's "to each his own", unless of course you mean to say that everyone should stay with their own kind. ;)

Got a live DVD from the Manifesto tour for Christmas. Made me really want to go see them on the upcoming tour!

There is a thread on "All You Need is Morrissey" where Je Suis Julie has noticed that True to You has edited Morrissey's list of favourite albums - out goes Ferret and in comes Henryk Gorecki Symphony Number 3

I guess that Morrissey really doesn't like him anymore...

Dave

There is a thread on "All You Need is Morrissey" where Je Suis Julie has noticed that True to You has edited Morrissey's list of favourite albums - out goes Ferret and in comes Henryk Gorecki Symphony Number 3

I guess that Morrissey really doesn't like him anymore...

Dave

I'm not surprised to hear about it.

Morrissey broke his friendship with Pete Burns because Pete wears fur.

Back
Top Bottom