How Soon is Now on Top of the Pops?

I've been going through the Passions Just Like Mine website, and according to them, the Smiths performed How Soon is Now? on TOTP. this is exactly what it says;
"14 February 1985 - Top Of The Pops (UK, BBC1)
How Soon Is Now?
Morrissey mock-machine guns the audience for Valentine's Day. "
does anyone know anything else or perhaps even have the video? thanks!

Thank you very much for finding this. I'd never seen it before. (I've also never seen their debut with 'This Charming Man')
I now have it on my iPod :)
I reckon this is probably the definitive Smiths (ie Morrissey) TOTP performance. Every move he makes is perfect, even the awkward ones. I read someone somewhere recently make the case that his TOTP appearances were the definitive visual expression of The Smiths (what with no promo videos and no prescence on the sleeves) and I reckon that is true. This is probably the K2 of their TOTP history.

Another performance I've never seen is "Everyday is Like Sunbday" on TOTP - which is on Sunday ECD.
Then, when my single arrived the first thing I did was to watch this video.

Thank you very much for finding this. I'd never seen it before. (I've also never seen their debut with 'This Charming Man')
I now have it on my iPod :)
I reckon this is probably the definitive Smiths (ie Morrissey) TOTP performance. Every move he makes is perfect, even the awkward ones. I read someone somewhere recently make the case that his TOTP appearances were the definitive visual expression of The Smiths (what with no promo videos and no prescence on the sleeves) and I reckon that is true. This is probably the K2 of their TOTP history.

I agree, but it's hard to choose between this one and This charming man. I have childhood memories of both, they just stuck in my mind one day and never left me!

I guess these performances had helped to create Morrissey's stereotype,,, holding flowers... dancing with his hands up then down...

I guess these performances had helped to create Morrissey's stereotype,,, holding flowers... dancing with his hands up then down...

Stereotype? Maybe, but there are moments in my life when I just close my eyes and think about Morrissey swinging those gladioli. And I smile :). The beauty...

*sighs*

Last edited by a moderator:
Stereotype? Maybe, but there are moments in my life when I just close my eyes and think about Morrissey swinging those gladioli. And I smile :). The beauty...

Stereotype as way of Morrissey dance and behave onstage since Smiths early years.
Look up the video Sister Sheila posted right now and you'll see 'bout I'm talking.

So come on,who dances like Morrissey....in the privacy of their own homes...In front of the mirror...especially after too much cheap wine?

I dont.

So come on,who dances like Morrissey....in the privacy of their own homes...In front of the mirror...especially after too much cheap wine?

I dont.

I do, and I don't even have to be drunk.

Ohh that's a wonderful video. I'm very happy now seeing it. Morrissey looks very relaxed and that oversized blouse he is wearing is true Smiths fashion.

Tags
how soon is now top of the pops totp
Back
Top Bottom