How successful is Morrissey?

I don't think that Kill Uncle is that bad as it's made out to be, but I don't think it's fantastic either, and I don't think it's a good start for a newbie.

you just need some
bev_tiz_head.gif

tizer
myunk.jpg

I'm from Canada, we're basically America Jr. I completely agree with you on the whole billboard thing. I think the nicest thing ever was when I landed in Belgrade, Serbia last summer...the first thing when we left the airport was a HUGE Morrissey billboard by the highway announcing his concert. I nearly cried. And then I wept after I found out I couldn't go.

America is too insensitive and affraid of honest feelings, which is why the mainstream/majority does not accept Morrissey. It is so sad!
Morrissey is not a mainstream artist. But in the world of indie/alternative rock, he is one of the biggest icons, if not THE biggest icon.

When it comes to my country, mainstream = turbo folk, r'n'b, dance pop; anyone who listens to rock music and despises folk-pop is not mainstream here. Most of the population (those who are into turbo folk and similar stuff) have certainly never heard of Morrissey. I suppose that there is a certain middle ground - people who listen to hip hop, techno, mainstream rock like RHCP (the most popular rock group according to a recent poll). But in the Serbian 'indie-rock' circles, The Smiths have been one of the most popular bands for decades, if not the most popular, and Morrissey is the number 1 icon (maybe Nick Cave comes close). I know lots of people who adore Morrissey; his songs, solo and with The Smiths, are regularly played in clubs I go to; he is always being discussed on the forums I regularly visit, so much that Moz-haters are always complaining that there is too much talk about him and whining as if they're some kind of oppressed minority. :D But, you have to keep in mind that the circles I move in - the few places I go to, the forums I visit, the people I always meet there - are in fact a small minority in this country on the whole. I suppose it's a little world in itself, very different from the mainstream Serbia, but most of the time I have very little contact with mainstream Serbia.

Morrissey is not a mainstream artist. But in the world of indie/alternative rock, he is one of the biggest icons, if not THE biggest icon.

When it comes to my country, mainstream = turbo folk, r'n'b, dance pop; anyone who listens to rock music and despises folk-pop is not mainstream here. Most of the population (those who are into turbo folk and similar stuff) have certainly never heard of Morrissey. I suppose that there is a certain middle ground - people who listen to hip hop, techno, mainstream rock like RHCP (the most popular rock group according to a recent poll). But in the Serbian 'indie-rock' circles, The Smiths have been one of the most popular bands for decades, if not the most popular, and Morrissey is the number 1 icon (maybe Nick Cave comes close). I know lots of people who adore Morrissey; his songs, solo and with The Smiths, are regularly played in clubs I go to; he is always being discussed on the forums I regularly visit, so much that Moz-haters are always complaining that there is too much talk about him and whining as if they're some kind of oppressed minority. :D But, you have to keep in mind that the circles I move in - the few places I go to, the forums I visit, the people I always meet there - are in fact a small minority in this country on the whole. I suppose it's a little world in itself, very different from the mainstream Serbia, but most of the time I have very little contact with mainstream Serbia.
turbo folk!
what is that?
&
btw
the Bolsheviks started out as a 'minority' :)

I think Andrew Denton is probably one of the few people who could pull off a successful interview with Morrissey. I have no faith in any other television presenters or journalists, off the top of my head.

They played Ask during the interval at Little Britain Live tonight. I was very pleased, even if no one else seemed to recognise it.

I agree with you. Anyone else would be not up to the job.
How was Little Britain Live? Lucky you!
I saw David Walliams on the car show Top Gear last night.

Back
Top Bottom