I like Johnny Marr

I totally agree. And first and foremost: To be touched by the man. Nothing beats that. I still remeber my first time. He was singing, and I was singing along to, "I am human and I need to be loved". Pure bliss. Sure, I only managed to get hold of his fingertips but nonetheless.

And I actually like Morrissey solo more than The Smiths.[/QUOTE]

:sick: No way!!! You did not say that horrible sentance! Your saying Morrissey is a better writer and has better songs and musicians solo?? Better songs??? Try and beat ANY Smiths song...It's impossible, has Morrissey solo managed to make another or at least try to beat "I Know It's Over" or "Meat Is Murder"? I doubt that

Every one who has been in an important band always has to carry around the weight of the past, they are always judged unfairly.
Just at random, I would say the following are as good as some Smiths records.

Will Never Marry
Such A Little Thing
Piccadilly Palare
Lifeguard sleeping, girl..
Now My Heart.
Life is a pigsty
Break up the Family
Last night on
Wide to receive
Trouble loves me
Maladjusted
Lost

Last edited:
Yes, but on some of those songs you mentioned for starters....Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke and Craig Gannon from The Smiths played on some those tracks you mentioned, they are all early Morrissey. Most of the rest are B-sides off singles (which I also like) and there aren't many album tracks apart from the ones I've already commented on.

Yes, but the Smiths without Johnny Marr isn't the same as the Smiths. It really could have been anyone who played with him. And actually NSAM is the only song, that I mentioned, on which they played. And there are actually many more. I could easily name 30-40 songs or more.

Every one who has been in an important band always has to carry around the weight of the past, they are always judged unfairly.
Just at random, I would say the following are as good as a Smiths records.

Will Never Marry
Such A Little Thing
Piccadilly Palare
Lifeguard sleeping, girl..
Now My Heart.
Life is a pigsty
Break up the Family
Last night on
Wide to receive
Trouble loves me
Maladjusted
Lost

Even some of those are early Morrissey, b sides and a few album tracks

Well f*** this convo...my views are staying the same.
Johnny Marr beat any other Moz solo guitarist hands down
Andy Rourke beats any other Moz solo Bassist hands down
Mike Joyce beats any other Moz solo drummer hands down

The Smiths 1 - Morrissey solo 0

Last edited by a moderator:
To me Morrissey sings much better as a solo artist than he did in The Smiths. That is a major reason to prefer his solo work to The Smiths.

Even some of those are early Morrissey, b sides and a few album tracks

yes but that was a quick pick from the top of a tired mind, surely that shows he has done work solo that stands alongside the smiths.

To be honest Please,Please, Please is so so boring. All of the songs I have chosen are better than that, In my mind.
It's not the song as such that gets on my wick its the fact it's the song that is always chosen on films and it's always used in a wimpy moment.
It's easy to say the smiths are better because they were first and came with power,youth and credibility but it doesn't mean any song that followed is inferrer.
I would also say All you need is me and Something is squeezing my soul are just as good pop songs as Sheila take.

Some of the Smiths best work were LP tracks and bsides.

The language of writing has changed but the talent remains

Last edited:
yes but that was a quick pick from the top of a tired mind, surely that shows he has done work solo that stands alongside the smiths.

To be hones Please,Please, Please is so so boring. All of the songs I have chosen are better than that, In my mind.
To be honest though it's not the song as such that gets on my wick its the fact it's the song that is always chosen on films and it's always used in a wimpy moment.
It's easy to say the smiths are better because they were first and came with power,youth and credibility but it doesn't mean any song that followed is inferrer.
I would also say All you need is me and Something is squeezing my soul are just as good pop songs as Sheila take.

The language of writing has changed but the talent remains

Never! "Please Please Please..." is the most heart felt song ever and you should listen to the song on any of the 1986 bootlegs on the USA tour, it's played beautiful...I disagree on all those songs as they are on one of the worst Morrissey albums ever and they are nothing compared to a masterpiece as "Sheila Take A Bow".

Never! "Please Please Please..." is the most heart felt song ever and you should listen to the song on any of the 1986 bootlegs on the USA tour, it's played beautiful...I disagree on all those songs as they are on one of the worst Morrissey albums ever and they are nothing compared to a masterpiece as "Sheila Take A Bow".

Ha! I knew that would give you one last flurry of passion before bed.
To be faire I said it's not so much the song it's the way it has been used. I really love sheila and I love the other songs the connection is seem less. The Smiths had better music but it doesn't mean Morrissey hasn't equaled his singing and words.
The same can never be said of johnny

Last edited:
Never! "Please Please Please..." is the most heart felt song ever and you should listen to the song on any of the 1986 bootlegs on the USA tour, it's played beautiful...

On this I actually agree. Please is a fave. And the live vesion is really great. That guitar playing can melt hearts. And I don't find that Something Is Squeezing and All You Need are particuarly good songs.

On this I actually agree. Please is a fave. And the live vesion is really great. That guitar playing can melt hearts. And I don't find that Something Is Squeezing and All You Need are particuarly good songs.

The point I am making is Morrisseys, contribution remains as was, the music may lack but talent remains.

As I say, I said with please its not the song its the way it has been used- not The Smiths fault.
I didn't compare All you need or something with Pleas,please.
I was thinking more Last night, life is a pigsty. Maybe I am becoming vague, its getting late

Last edited:
The point I am making is Morrisseys, contribution remains as was, the music may lack but his remains as talented.

As I say, I said with please its not the songs its the way it has been used- not The Smiths fault.
I didn't compare All you need or something with Pleas,please.
I was thinking more Last night, life is a pigsty. Maybe I am becoming vague, its getting late

Oh no, I didn't mean that you were comparing them. But nothing can destroy Please to me. And SISMS and AYNIM I do find to be quite weak songs. The former is ok but the latter...

Oh no, I didn't mean that you were comparing them. But nothing can destroy Please to me. And SISMS and AYNIM I do find to be quite weak songs. The former is ok but the latter...

I don't know, I just think he uses a different language now.
I like please,please and YES the live version is better still. But as a song I skip it these days, unless it's the live version.
Its never been my fave Smiths songs though, I have a feeling it's most peoples fave (oh well).
Of around that era I would much rather listen to, This night, Suffer little, Wonderful women, Stretch out and wait, Well I wonder.
Anyway, we are straying from the point.

I don't know, I just think he uses a different language now.
I like please,please and YES the live version is better still. But as a song I skip it these days, unless it's the live version.
Its never been my fave Smiths songs though, I have a feeling it's most peoples fave (oh well).
Of around that era I would much rather listen to, This night, Suffer little, Wonderful women, Stretch out and wait, Well I wonder.
Anyway, we are straying from the point.

What I don't like so much about SISMS and AYIM is rather the music than the words.

And This Night truly is wonderful. Please save your life because you've only got one.

On Johnny Marr:
I love Johnny Marr. He has made some great songs and played great guitar, and he seems to be really interested in music and to care about the quality of his music. He also seems to care about his fans. All of this combined makes him one of the greatest guitarist to me. A bunch of musicians seem to think they are so awesome and don't care about there fans, and there are a bunch of musicians that seem to not care anymore about the quality of the music. Johnny Marr is down to earth, really cares about the music, and has made some awesome songs.:guitar:

On Morrissey:
I love Morrissey. He has written wonderful lyrics, he has one of the best voices, he is funny and witty, he cares about the music, he cares about the fans, and it seems he has stayed true to himself throughout his whole music career. I could go on forever, but I will just end it with, Morrissey is awesome and I love him.:p

On Andy Rourke:
I like Andy Rourke too. (I like him music wise, at least. I haven't watched any of his interviews, so I am not sure what he is like.) He was actually playing in bands with Johnny Marr before the smiths formed, and he played some great bass, in the smiths and Morrissey. :guitar:

I don't have anything to say about Mike Joyce. I have just started discovering Andy Rourke, Mike will come next.

On the Smiths now:
As for what they are doing now, in my opinion, none of them can beat the smiths. The smiths was when they were all at there peak, and even if they reformed the smiths, they wouldn't be as good as they were. That being said, I would like to see Morrissey and Johnny Marr work together again.

On Johnny Marr:
I love Johnny Marr. He has made some great songs and played great guitar, and he seems to be really interested in music and to care about the quality of his music. He also seems to care about his fans. All of this combined makes him one of the greatest guitarist to me. A bunch of musicians seem to think they are so awesome and don't care about there fans, and there are a bunch of musicians that seem to not care anymore about the quality of the music. Johnny Marr is down to earth, really cares about the music, and has made some awesome songs.:guitar:

On Morrissey:
I love Morrissey. He has written wonderful lyrics, he has one of the best voices, he is funny and witty, he cares about the music, he cares about the fans, and it seems he has stayed true to himself throughout his whole music career. I could go on forever, but I will just end it with, Morrissey is awesome and I love him.:p

On Andy Rourke:
I like Andy Rourke too. (I like him music wise, at least. I haven't watched any of his interviews, so I am not sure what he is like.) He was actually playing in bands with Johnny Marr before the smiths formed, and he played some great bass, in the smiths and Morrissey. :guitar:

I don't have anything to say about Mike Joyce. I have just started discovering Andy Rourke, Mike will come next.

On the Smiths now:
As for what they are doing now, in my opinion, none of them can beat the smiths. The smiths was when they were all at there peak, and even if they reformed the smiths, they wouldn't be as good as they were. That being said, I would like to see Morrissey and Johnny Marr work together again.

Well said my friend!

Mike Joyce
Underated Smiths Member...Reel around the fountain, The Queen Is Dead, What She Said/Rubber Ring, there are so many songs that is rememberal also due to Joyce's drumming style. He did well for Morrissey and he did well in the Buzzocks line up, he's done great with other musicians such as Vinny Peculiar.

Craig Gannon
OK, he may not be an "official" member in some people's eyes, but like it or not...he was in The Smiths and did contribute to some Smiths songs....He did amazingly great with Early Morrissey solo, he's did great in Adult Net and also alongside Terry Hall and he's even wrote some good soundtracks.

If The Smiths ever did reunite, I think they should have at least have 3 out of 4 Smiths and add Andy Rourke on Bass....If they played Barbarism Begins At Home, without Andy Rourke...it would be disgrace

Back
Top Bottom