I like Johnny Marr

I like Mr Marr. I think with out him the Smiths would have been a lot less "street", for want of a better term and his talent must have been like air for Moz
The fact he was so young when he did all he did in The Smiths is remarkable, not only did he create music of such depth but he ran the band really.

I do feel he wasted himself for ages after the Smiths, I can't stand Electronic or the other stuff he did around that time- apart from a couple of songs with The The.

As I person Marr seems like a good man, he has raised his kids well (from what I can tell) and he seems like an intelligent chap, in a traditional sense I would say he is the brightest one out of all The Smiths.

Shame two men who had such a connection can't get together and make music again.
When I saw a youtube vid of Marr playing TCM it made me almost weep, for what was and what could have been.
Marr plays with such ease,skill and beauty that you can't help but feel that moz's back up band are a bunch of goons next to him.

Agreed...he also did crap in the Healers, his Modest Mouse contributions were also quite crap. The Cribs stuff seems the only thing he has actually tried in lately, his soundtrack for that recent Channel 4 show seemed pretty good and had a "Smiths" feel though. I doubt we will ever know why Marr and Morrissey cannot ever reunite. There is more than just media stories of why they have never at least tried to reunite...

Agreed...he also did crap in the Healers, his Modest Mouse contributions were also quite crap. The Cribs stuff seems the only thing he has actually tried in lately, his soundtrack for that recent Channel 4 show seemed pretty good and had a "Smiths" feel though. I doubt we will ever know why Marr and Morrissey cannot ever reunite. There is more than just media stories of why they have never at least tried to reunite...

Yeah I know, though you seem to be more in the know than me- pm me any crumbs.
It does seem like most of the blame fell at Morrisseys door though.
He must of been a nightmare to work with, it reminds me of what my mum once said to me " you blame the world but the world and your mates have been good to you but you just keep pushing, you make life so hard for yourself".

They both work best together, though I would say Morrissey has done much better than Marr.
Marrs Manchester loyalty lets him down sometimes, all that Manchester lad rubbish- I can't stand Bernard Summer.
I am just sick of hearing Pub rock versions of Smiths songs when Morrissey plays live. I can see why Butler didn't play with Moz during the "vegas" years.

Haha, so basically Morrissey's a dick to work with and Johnny ran for his life!

Haha, so basically Morrissey's a dick to work with and Johnny ran for his life!

Erm..............
working with Morrissey and his "moods" isn't going to be easy, especially when you are only 21 and writing songs and arranging gigs etc.
Also, Morrissey put a lot of pressure on Marr in other ways from what I understand

Erm..............
working with Morrissey and his "moods" isn't going to be easy, especially when you are only 21 and writing songs and arranging gigs etc.
Also, Morrissey put a lot of pressure on Marr in other ways from what I understand

Sexually :lbf:

Marrs Manchester loyalty lets him down sometimes, all that Manchester lad rubbish- I can't stand Bernard Summer.

Oh god, yeah. I don't mind a couple of Electronic songs, but Bernard Sumner is a fat, pompous, overhyped waste of space - nearly as bad as Shaun Ryder, and you only need to switch the TV on to see how far he's fallen. That laddish crap was just Johnny trying to toughen his image up in my opinion, shake off his past and all the 'fey' Smiths stuff, flowers, eyeliner, sexual 'ambiguity' and the like. Simple logic really - cut your hair, start looking and dressing like a homeless person, and hang around making 'dance' music with beer-monster has-beens. Shudder. Thank God Marr grew up after a few years of that.

You know it's true! :horny: :D

I have indeed haha! There's many funny people on here, trust me!

Edit: I know it's true Amy :D ;) :lbf:

Oh god, yeah. I don't mind a couple of Electronic songs, but Bernard Sumner is a fat, pompous, overhyped waste of space - nearly as bad as Shaun Ryder, and you only need to switch the TV on to see how far he's fallen. That laddish crap was just Johnny trying to toughen his image up in my opinion, shake off his past and all the 'fey' Smiths stuff, flowers, eyeliner, sexual 'ambiguity' and the like. Simple logic really - cut your hair, start looking and dressing like a homeless person, and hang around making 'dance' music with beer-monster has-beens. Shudder. Thank God Marr grew up after a few years of that.

You know it's true! :horny: :D

Well Marr always had the lad thing in him and still does (no giggling at the back class ) , one can't help but feel Marr would have rather been in the Stones Roses some times.
Still what saves Marr is a good brain.

I don't mind Shaun the Mondays did have a few good songs at the start (I think).
Shaun is who he is, Summer is a bitchy little twit who can't sing.
Plus he is blond. Blond men are rubbish (FACT)

Well Marr always had the lad thing in him and still does (no giggling at the back class ) , one can't help but feel Marr would have rather been in the Stones Roses some times.

I don't mind Shaun the Mondays did have a few good songs at the start (I think).
Shaun is who he is, Summer is a bitchy little twit who can't sing.
Plus he is blond. Blond men are rubbish (FACT)

That guy who always sleeps in "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here..."

Fan or rival of The Sex Pistols eh?

I always thought Marr should have stayed with The Pretenders and actually tried...disappointment

I loved Johnny until he teamed up with The Cribs. :(

Why can't him and Moz just kiss and make up? Emphasis on the kiss.

Hm, I'm not sure. I think when the Smiths first started and got their 'fey' image, Marr might have thought "Oh, God" and wished they were more of a lad-band - but in the last ten years, I'd say he realised that the Smiths' image was vital to their appeal, and was what separated them from the Stone Roses and all the other generic 'Manchester' bands.

I also think Johnny is a bit of a chameleon in terms of personality - he tends to emphasise/minimise certain aspects of himself, depending on who he is with and what they are like. I'm not sure Johnny Marr of 1992 would have liked Johnny Marr of 1985, for example - but who are we to say which was really him? I think he is easily influenced by others.

I loved Johnny until he teamed up with The Cribs. :(

Why can't him and Moz just kiss and make up? Emphasis on the kiss.

Well at least that 'project' seems to be over for now. No doubt he'll have another one very soon. As for the kiss... :horny: :D

Back
Top Bottom