I really don't consider

T

Tickety-boo

myself to be a racist but I agree with vast parts of this article that I have read on the internet. Just want a little feedback really, do I have to alter my self perception and think of myself as racist to some degree or is the article just common sense, as I see it?

July 14, 2005
This lethal moral madness

Our worst fears have now been realised. Four young British Muslim men, born and raised in peaceful, tension-free suburban Leeds where they played cricket and helped disabled children, travelled to London a week ago today to turn themselves into human bombs in order to murder as many of their fellow citizens as possible.

No-one in the Muslim or wider community in Leeds apparently had the slightest suspicion that any of them would ever have done such a terrible thing. They appeared to be utterly normal, regular young men. Their fanaticism was utterly invisible.

A truly appalling vista has now opened up before us. For if these four were able to hide their religious extremism so completely, fooling everyone who came into contact with them, how many more such young men may be harbouring similar feelings in total secrecy and may commit further such atrocities against their fellow Britons?

This is not just the first instance of suicide bombings in Europe. It is virtually the only time suicide bombers have targeted their own fellow citizens. Even in Israel, where suicide bombings have become so frequent, there has only been one example of an Israeli Arab citizen turning into a human bomb to murder fellow Israelis. Yet we now have to face the fact that some of our own citizens harbour an overwhelming murderous rage against their own country that makes them want to destroy it.

This terrible development poses the most acute, difficult and urgent questions about how this can have happened. For the usual alibis for suicide bombings now stand exposed as bogus. These terrorists were not foreign imports from some far distant conflict. They had not been dispossessed of any land; they did not live in the squalour of refugee camps. They were not destitute or despairing.

These were suburban boys who had been educated at British schools and had degrees, jobs, comfortable families. Yet unlike other British boys, their hopes and aspirations did not centre around the lives they were to live. They aspired instead to die, to turn themselves into human bombs in order to commit murder on a grand scale.

Above all, this poses the most urgent questions about the Muslim community from which this monstrous act has sprung. It is absolutely essential that we all find the answer to such questions if we are to have any hope at all of preventing further such atrocities.

Yet since last Thursday’s outrage, this crucial debate has been thwarted by a culture of denial in which it has been all but impossible to discuss freely and properly the questions in everyone’s mind. Since the bombings, many of the leading voices of British society have given the impression that they are less concerned about the atrocity that claimed the lives of more than 52 innocent people than the need to protect the Muslim community from any backlash.

Obviously, it is important to prevent any retribution against ordinary Muslims, the vast majority of whom are utterly appalled at what has happened and who themselves live blameless, law-abiding lives. But what has happened has gone much further than that. The impression has been sedulously created that this act of Islamic terrorism by four Muslim boys from Leeds had nothing to do with nothing to do with the Muslim community or indeed Islam.

Thus Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick made the astounding comment that ‘Islam and terrorists are two words that do not go together’. Thus the parish priest of the church near where the number 30 bus was blown up said in his sermon last Sunday: 'We must name the people who did these things as criminals or terrorists. We must not name them as Muslims.’

As for the BBC, it has seemed determined to wrench the spotlight away from the role of Islam in these bombings and instead displayed an obsession with avoiding ‘Islamophobia’. Item after item on radio and television has dwelt upon the need to avoid blaming Muslims for what happened, rather than addressing the hard questions to the community that cry out to be asked.

In doing so, it has been taking its cue from the Muslim community itself which seems to be in the deepest denial. Yes, it has certainly condemned the atrocity in the strongest terms. But in the very next breath, its leaders have effectively washed their hands of it by repeating like a mantra that anyone claiming to be a Muslim who commits such an act is not a proper Muslim, because Islam is a religion of peace.

This is the line being taken, for example, by Sir Iqbal Sacranie, general secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain. In an interview yesterday on BBC Radio Four’s Today programme, Zaher Birawi of the Leeds Grand Mosque said he agreed with this view — and then immediately started talking about Islamophobia.

On BBC TV’s Newsnight on Tuesday, Irshad Chaudhury, a leader of the Leeds Muslim community said the four bombers were ‘not Muslims at all’, that people had to be taught that Islam was a religion of peace and that the term ‘jihad’ had been coined by the media and was not even known in Islam. Yet jihad — or holy war — is a central tenet of Islamic theology and law.

Thus four Muslim boys who committed an act of terrorism as part of a religious war against all who challenge the supremacy of Islam are presented by the Muslim community in Britain as nothing to do with them — and indeed, not even Muslims at all, on the basis that since Islam is ‘a religion of peace’, anyone who commits murder in its name cannot be a Muslim.

This reasoning turns both logic and morality on their heads. It also masks some deeply alarming statistics. Far from being adherents of a ‘religion of peace’, huge numbers of Muslims world-wide support al Qaeda — 65 per cent in Pakistan, 45 per cent in Morocco. And in Britain, where the vast majority of Muslims are opposed to terrorism, according to an ICM poll carried out for the Guardian some 13 per cent of a Muslim community of 1.6 million support it.

These numbers are horrific. And yet in the debate which has been going on for the past week, Muslims have been presented not as the community which must take responsibility for this horror, but as its principal victims.

This moral inversion is the result of the cultural brainwashing that has been going on in Britain for years in the pursuit of the disastrous doctrine of multiculturalism. This has refused to teach Muslims — along with other minorities — the core of British culture and values. Instead, it has promoted a lethally divisive culture of separateness, in which minority cultures are held to be equal if not superior to the values and traditions of the indigenous majority.

Even worse, multiculturalism causes the moral paralysis of ‘victim culture’, whereby to say an ethnic minority is at fault is to invite immediate accusations of racism. When Lord Ouseley reported on the 1999 race riots in Bradford, he concluded that many local people did not dare challenge wrongdoing among young ethnic minority people because they feared being labelled 'racist'.

When Ray Honeyford, the Bradford headmaster, warned strongly against multiculturalism in the schools in the eighties, he was branded a racist and hounded from his job. Now those Yorkshire chickens have lethally come home to roost.

The moral bankruptcy of this victim culture is all around us. Thus the BBC instructed its journalists not to refer to the London bombings as ‘terrorism’ because this was a subjective value judgment. And yet it allowed John Simpson, its World Affairs editor, to call these terrorists ‘misguided criminals’ an astounding value judgment which diminished the nature of the atrocity.

The problem is that this inversion of morality can be lethal. Such is the ethos of political correctness in our public services that librarians who want to complain about the potential danger of young Muslims logging onto websites instructing them in making bombs or nerve gas are told to say nothing for fear of being accused of prejudice.

All this prevents us from acknowledging the principal reason why otherwise ordinary young men turn themselves into human bombs — religious fanaticism.

The British find this difficult to grasp because of its fundamental irrationality. Yet contrary to what we are being told, this terrorism is all about religion.

It derives from a cult of hatred and death within Islam — albeit one that moderate Muslims privately abhor — whose explicit aim is to destroy the power of the west and any expression of freedom by Muslims or others which prevents the imposition of the most repressive interpretation of Islam.

Whether this represents a hijacking of the religion is matter for theological dispute. But the fact is that it has not been challenged by any leading Islamic religious authority; indeed, they have endorsed it.

This hatred is further incited and inflamed by lies and distortions about the history and present actions of the west and above all about the Jews and about Israel — a world-view based on a wholesale denial and inversion of the truth which has poisoned the minds of millions.

Even moderate Muslims believe many if not most of these untruths, thus reinforcing the lethal grievance culture which is the sea in which terrorism swims.

Yet even to say such things is to risk accusations of ‘Islamophobia’. And now the government is bringing in a law against incitement to religious hatred, all in order to appease the Muslim community which seeks to outlaw altogether the drawing of any association between Islam and terror. Ironically, this law is definitely not designed to prevent extremist British imams — who, yes, are only a minority — from disseminating their bigoted hatred of the west.

This madness has simply got to stop. Our society has now been attacked in a way that means it will never be the same again, and may well be subjected to more such attacks. And yet the very irrationality and moral perversion that lie at the core of this onslaught are being used to prevent us from addressing it.

Such lethal equivocation cannot be allowed to continue. We have to tackle all the sources of this poison. London must no longer be Europe’s terror factory — the ‘Londonistan’ in which terrorists wanted in other countries are allowed to walk freely in our streets. Publications advocating violence should be banned. Charities funding terror should be proscribed and their assets seized.

Imams preaching violence should be prosecuted or removed from the country. Extremist Islamic websites should be shut down and those who log onto sites providing blueprints for bomb-making should be arrested. Extremist groups should be banned and their leaders locked up or deported. We should have special judge-only courts for cases where evidence is too sensitive to bring to a normal trial. The Human Rights Act which has made it all but impossible to protect this country should be repealed.

But above all, the responsible Muslim community and its leaders — who are the majority — must come out of denial and unequivocally condemn the extreme interpretation of Islam that is twisting the minds of the minority of zealots in its midst.

This war for civilisation won’t be won by practical action alone. What we are up against is a death cult which recruits its foot-soldiers through propaganda based on lies and distortions which inflame grievance into murderous rage. These lies emanating from extremists in the Muslim world have been further inflated by support from those in the wider community in Britain — mainly on the left — whose obsessive repetition of such falsehoods and disproportionate attention to the misdeeds of the west while ignoring Muslim atrocities have helped turn grievance into hysteria.

We have already paid a terrible price for multiculturalism and this cancer of moral inversion and irresponsibility. These are tough measures — but we must take them if our society is to be defended against this horror that threatens us all.

Posted by melanie at July 14, 2005 10:46 AM

I find it extraordinary that Muslims are allowed their own "Parliament" in the UK.

Re: It makes perfect sense ...

to oust the radical sections of Muslim society from all communities in the UK. I don't think you can be accused of racism for agreeing with this article, because people have to acknowledge that Islam is exactly the same as other religions, in that its doctrine is one of peace for believers mixed with extreme violence for sinners.
Not to make any excuses for terrorism, but what stirkes me is that, in terms of history, Islam is one of the youngest religions and at the same point in the history of Christianity, the West was trying to impose its views upon the rest of the world, using similar methods of terror: eg: the inquisition, burning witches, torturing infidels etc. When you think that the leaders of organisations like al-Qaeda desire a return to the middle ages, not to mention that most Islamic countries look and operate like that anyway, it's unsurprising that the culture breeds religious zealots.
Admittedly, it's difficult to explain how men who'd grown up here, with every privilege, can be so fanatical. Then again, just think how passionate people can get about a chosen cause, especially when they might feel their community is already ostracised by the rest of Britain. For some reason, racism against the asian community hasn't been stamped out as succesfully as it has against black people. Maybe that's where we need to start, because these are young Muslims that no longer feel a part of their own community, but don't fit in with the rest of Britain either. Religious fanaticism offers them a chance to belong.

IOW, Theo van Gogh was right

> myself to be a racist but I agree with vast parts of this article that I
> have read on the internet. Just want a little feedback really, do I have
> to alter my self perception and think of myself as racist to some degree
> or is the article just common sense, as I see it?

Why would you think of yourself as a racist when Islam is not a race but a belief system? **confused**

> No-one in the Muslim or wider community in Leeds apparently had the
> slightest suspicion that any of them would ever have done such a terrible
> thing. They appeared to be utterly normal, regular young men. Their
> fanaticism was utterly invisible.

Do you really buy this?

One of the early reports about the bombers told the story of the family members becoming concerned when of their family went missing on the day of the bombing. The story quoted a family member as saying he joked that he hoped so-and-so hadn't gone to London.

A story I saw yesterday claimed that one of the bomber's names had come up to authorities in the past, but they decided he checked out as okay. I believe this was the older of the bombers.

A television report last week interviewed a neighbor who knew one of the bombers well, and he said he was shocked that the person was capable of blowing people up, and now he's concerned about his own children getting caught up with that radicalism. If you're not sure if your own children are potential suicide/homicide bombers, I'd say you've got problems.

If you have a British-born son who is getting up at 4AM every day to pray to Allah, and travels to Pakistan to study the Koran in some wacko school, I'd say it's not entirely "out of the blue" that someone may be f***ing with your kid's head and teaching him some nutty ideas. Here's a clue: Your son wants to study the Koran in Pakistan...oh sure it may all be so very innocent...but don't act "shocked" when it turns out not to be.

I don't believe the fanaticism, or the fact that in European countries there is a fifth column of jihadists who want to destroy the demcoracies they reside in, was "utterly invisible." But then I didn't select my Theo van Gogh screenname for nothing. It's an interesting coincidence that the trial of Theo's murderer took place right after the London bombings. Call it vindication of someone who was murdered for trying to say the truth in the faces of the PC police.

> This terrible development poses the most acute, difficult and urgent
> questions about how this can have happened. For the usual alibis for
> suicide bombings now stand exposed as bogus. These terrorists were not
> foreign imports from some far distant conflict. They had not been
> dispossessed of any land; they did not live in the squalour of refugee
> camps. They were not destitute or despairing.

Yup.

> Obviously, it is important to prevent any retribution against ordinary
> Muslims, the vast majority of whom are utterly appalled at what has
> happened and who themselves live blameless, law-abiding lives. But what
> has happened has gone much further than that. The impression has been
> sedulously created that this act of Islamic terrorism by four Muslim boys
> from Leeds had nothing to do with nothing to do with the Muslim community
> or indeed Islam.

It has everything to do with Islam, the most dangerous belief system on the planet for many decades now. However, I do take the view that Islam has been hijacked, and obviously millions of Muslims have nothing to do with this stuff. I just wish they cared as much about condemning jihad as they do about people sneezing on a Koran, and if they love Islam so much they ought to examine how it got so deranged and fix it. Did people not notice when it was British Muslims who urged the Ayatollah in Iran to issue a fatwa on Salman Rushdie? Am I not supposed to notice that the head of the largest Mosque in my state of Ohio was found to be involved in funding terrorists through charities and calling Jews "pigs" in speeches?

> As for the BBC, it has seemed determined to wrench the spotlight away from
> the role of Islam in these bombings and instead displayed an obsession
> with avoiding ‘Islamophobia’. Item after item on radio and television has
> dwelt upon the need to avoid blaming Muslims for what happened, rather
> than addressing the hard questions to the community that cry out to be
> asked.

They're right to keep reminding people that you can't lump every Muslim in with the fascist jihadists, but pointing out that Islam is infected with a sickness that needs to be cured is not the same as saying all Mulims are bad. There's a civil war within Islam and its spilled out to the rest of the world. I'd say you'd have to be the idiot of the millenium to not see Islam is currently the most f***ed up belief system on earth.

> This reasoning turns both logic and morality on their heads. It also masks
> some deeply alarming statistics. Far from being adherents of a ‘religion
> of peace’, huge numbers of Muslims world-wide support al Qaeda — 65 per
> cent in Pakistan, 45 per cent in Morocco. And in Britain, where the vast
> majority of Muslims are opposed to terrorism, according to an ICM poll
> carried out for the Guardian some 13 per cent of a Muslim community of 1.6
> million support it.

Actually, if you check the latest poll (from last week I believe) support for al Qaeda and bin Laden in the Muslim world has significantly dropped in the past year. Quite the contrary of what those who opposed the foreign policy of Bush and Blair predicted, I might add.

The below paragraphs seem to hit the nail on the head.

> This moral inversion is the result of the cultural brainwashing that has
> been going on in Britain for years in the pursuit of the disastrous
> doctrine of multiculturalism. This has refused to teach Muslims — along
> with other minorities — the core of British culture and values. Instead,
> it has promoted a lethally divisive culture of separateness, in which
> minority cultures are held to be equal if not superior to the values and
> traditions of the indigenous majority.

> Even worse, multiculturalism causes the moral paralysis of ‘victim
> culture’, whereby to say an ethnic minority is at fault is to invite
> immediate accusations of racism. When Lord Ouseley reported on the 1999
> race riots in Bradford, he concluded that many local people did not dare
> challenge wrongdoing among young ethnic minority people because they
> feared being labelled 'racist'.

> When Ray Honeyford, the Bradford headmaster, warned strongly against
> multiculturalism in the schools in the eighties, he was branded a racist
> and hounded from his job. Now those Yorkshire chickens have lethally come
> home to roost.

> The moral bankruptcy of this victim culture is all around us. Thus the BBC
> instructed its journalists not to refer to the London bombings as
> ‘terrorism’ because this was a subjective value judgment. And yet it
> allowed John Simpson, its World Affairs editor, to call these terrorists
> ‘misguided criminals’ an astounding value judgment which diminished the
> nature of the atrocity.

> The problem is that this inversion of morality can be lethal. Such is the
> ethos of political correctness in our public services that librarians who
> want to complain about the potential danger of young Muslims logging onto
> websites instructing them in making bombs or nerve gas are told to say
> nothing for fear of being accused of prejudice.

> All this prevents us from acknowledging the principal reason why otherwise
> ordinary young men turn themselves into human bombs — religious
> fanaticism.

> The British find this difficult to grasp because of its fundamental
> irrationality. Yet contrary to what we are being told, this terrorism is
> all about religion.

> It derives from a cult of hatred and death within Islam — albeit one that
> moderate Muslims privately abhor — whose explicit aim is to destroy the
> power of the west and any expression of freedom by Muslims or others which
> prevents the imposition of the most repressive interpretation of Islam.

> Whether this represents a hijacking of the religion is matter for
> theological dispute. But the fact is that it has not been challenged by
> any leading Islamic religious authority; indeed, they have endorsed it.

> This hatred is further incited and inflamed by lies and distortions about
> the history and present actions of the west and above all about the Jews
> and about Israel — a world-view based on a wholesale denial and inversion
> of the truth which has poisoned the minds of millions.

> Even moderate Muslims believe many if not most of these untruths, thus
> reinforcing the lethal grievance culture which is the sea in which
> terrorism swims.

> Yet even to say such things is to risk accusations of ‘Islamophobia’. And
> now the government is bringing in a law against incitement to religious
> hatred, all in order to appease the Muslim community which seeks to outlaw
> altogether the drawing of any association between Islam and terror.
> Ironically, this law is definitely not designed to prevent extremist
> British imams — who, yes, are only a minority — from disseminating their
> bigoted hatred of the west.

> This madness has simply got to stop. Our society has now been attacked in
> a way that means it will never be the same again, and may well be
> subjected to more such attacks. And yet the very irrationality and moral
> perversion that lie at the core of this onslaught are being used to
> prevent us from addressing it.

> Such lethal equivocation cannot be allowed to continue. We have to tackle
> all the sources of this poison. London must no longer be Europe’s terror
> factory — the ‘Londonistan’ in which terrorists wanted in other countries
> are allowed to walk freely in our streets. Publications advocating
> violence should be banned. Charities funding terror should be proscribed
> and their assets seized.

> But above all, the responsible Muslim community and its leaders — who are
> the majority — must come out of denial and unequivocally condemn the
> extreme interpretation of Islam that is twisting the minds of the minority
> of zealots in its midst.

> myself to be a racist but I agree with vast parts of this article that I
> have read on the internet. Just want a little feedback really, do I have
> to alter my self perception and think of myself as racist to some degree
> or is the article just common sense, as I see it?

Check out the NY Times article below on the 19 year old mass murderering terrorist piece of shit. Born in Jamaica to a Christian family, the stupid idiot converted to Islam at 15 and, like many converts, became more gung-ho than most people born into the religion. So, as you can see, it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the demented religious circles and ideas he got sucked into.

When you notice a teenager radically changing his personality, listening to Islamic rubbish on his Walkman all day long, spending 10 nights at a mosque for Ramadan, etc etc...it's a classic case of someone's brain becoming infected by a cult. Instead of people seeing the blatantly obvious red flags, they appear to have thought it was beautiful that he became a convert to Islam to such a hardcore and mentally ill degree. Someone should've done an intervention on the stupid f***er a long time ago.

==========

New Muslim at 15, Terror Suspect at 19
By LIZETTE ALVAREZ
LONDON, July 17 - When Germaine Lindsay, the 19-year-old man suspected of blowing up a subway train at Russell Square, took hold of Islam four years ago, he did so zealously, his friends say.

Over time, Mr. Lindsay, who was born in Jamaica, changed his name to Abdullah Shaheed Jamal - Jamal is Arabic for beauty - grew a beard, asked for permission to pray at school and swapped his jeans for Muslim dress. He even persuaded his mother, Mary McLeod, the daughter of an evangelical Christian, to embrace Islam.

Three years ago, he closed the family loop by marrying another Muslim convert, a young British woman named Samantha Lewthwaite. The two had a baby, Abdullah, who is now 15 months old. A second baby is on the way.

Mr. Lindsay, whose name has been given in various ways in different reports, including as Lindsey Germaine, became well known at the Leeds Grand Mosque for his robust recitation of the Koran in Arabic.

His religious intensity was hard to ignore, friends say. Mr. Lindsay was affable, bright and one of the cool kids at Rawthorpe High School, friends from there say. "He was a very happy person," said Antoinette Crook, 20, who was a year ahead of him in school, "always telling jokes, always smiling."

But after his conversion, his personality changed strikingly. He rejected some of his old friends and stopped smoking, listening to music and playing soccer. He "shut himself away," Ms. Crook said.

Other friends told reporters that he sometimes sat in class listening to Islamic tapes on his personal stereo.

He also tried to make Muslim converts out of his friends, something that did not endear him to his schoolmates, they said. He had "confrontations" with others, though not actual fights, as he tried to persuade them to reject Western vices and amusements, Ms. Crook said.

"He was really passionate about his religion and it seemed like he wanted to pass it on to other people," noted Ms. Crook, who said she saw him on a bus in February wearing "all Muslim clothes."

"Really, he just became a different person," she added.

His mother, Ms. McLeod, who is now in Jamaica, was quoted in The Mail on Sunday as saying friends had encouraged Mr. Lindsay to embrace Islam when he was 15. He did, and she quickly followed suit.

Ms. McLeod said she was stunned that her son was suspected of carrying a bomb on to the Piccadilly subway line. The explosion was the deadliest of the four, killing at least 26 people. The police found explosives in the trunk of his Fiat, which was parked at the Luton station.

"I haven't stopped crying for all the people who died," Ms. McLeod said. "And I cried for my son. I have to deal not only with his death but with the fact that he may have killed all those people."

Ms. McLeod added that his suspected role in the bombings was incomprehensible because, "after Sept. 11, I was devastated, and so was Germaine," and she added, "We cried for all the people who died and wondered how Muslims could do this."

Mr. Lindsay left Jamaica for Britain with his mother as a 5-month-old, according to the Jamaican government. Like the other suspected bombers, whose Pakistani parents were also immigrants, he grew up with a sort of dual identity: Britain under his feet, Jamaica in his blood.

He spent his childhood on the outskirts of Leeds, with his mother and two younger sisters in a working-class neighborhood, near Beeston, where the other suspects lived. Most of his neighbors were white. One person from the block said she remembered someone had once smashed all the windows of his house.

A natural athlete who played soccer, ran and did the long jump, Mr. Lindsay was a regular at the gym and took up boxing.

Three years ago, he met Ms. Lewthwaite, who is now 22, at a college in Luton. Despite the objections of her parents, Ms. Lewthwaite married Mr. Lindsay in an Islamic ceremony shortly after they met, but the couple never registered the union with the civil authorities. A few months ago, they moved from the Leeds area to Aylesbury, where Ms. Lewthwaite, who changed her name to Sherafiyah, grew up.

In an interview published Sunday by The Sun, Ms. Lewthwaite, who is eight months pregnant and in protective custody, said she could not believe that her husband was involved. "I won't believe it until they show me the proof," she said. "I'm not going to accept it until they have his DNA."

Mr. Lindsay frequently attended prayers, first at the Omar Masjid, across the street from the apartment in Huddersfield where he and his wife lived before moving to Aylesbury. The imam there, Nazeeb Albi, told reporters that Mr. Lindsay often worked at the neighborhood open-air market selling cellphone covers.

Later, Mr. Lindsay frequented the Leeds Grand Mosque. Worshipers said he was an enthusiast of Arabic recitation of the Koran and prayed loudly and fervently. Whenever he could, he helped others perfect their pronunciation, said a man who would give his name only as Ahmad. "Everyone knew him by his voice," Ahmad said.

Last Ramadan, he spent close to 10 nights in the mosque, praying and helping to serve food. Ahmad said that just three weeks ago, he saw Mr. Lindsay, who told him he was planning to move back to Leeds.

A former roommate of Magdy Mahmoud Mustafa el-Nashar, a biochemist who is now under arrest in Egypt and being questioned in the case, said Mr. Nashar and Mr. Lindsay knew each other. On Saturday, the roommate, who would speak only on the condition of anonymity, said, "I know for sure that he met him the first time during last Ramadan in the Leeds Grand Mosque, because I also met him there the first time."

Amy Waldman contributed reporting from Huddersfield for this article, Souad Mekhennet from Leeds and Hassan M. Fattah from Aylesbury.

> Check out the NY Times article below on the 19 year old mass murderering
> terrorist piece of shit. Born in Jamaica to a Christian family, the stupid
> idiot converted to Islam at 15 and, like many converts, became more
> gung-ho than most people born into the religion. So, as you can see, it
> has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the demented
> religious circles and ideas he got sucked into.

> When you notice a teenager radically changing his personality, listening
> to Islamic rubbish on his Walkman all day long, spending 10 nights at a
> mosque for Ramadan, etc etc...it's a classic case of someone's brain
> becoming infected by a cult. Instead of people seeing the blatantly
> obvious red flags, they appear to have thought it was beautiful that he
> became a convert to Islam to such a hardcore and mentally ill degree.
> Someone should've done an intervention on the stupid f***er a long time
> ago.

> ==========

> New Muslim at 15, Terror Suspect at 19
> By LIZETTE ALVAREZ
> LONDON, July 17 - When Germaine Lindsay, the 19-year-old man suspected of
> blowing up a subway train at Russell Square, took hold of Islam four years
> ago, he did so zealously, his friends say.

> Over time, Mr. Lindsay, who was born in Jamaica, changed his name to
> Abdullah Shaheed Jamal - Jamal is Arabic for beauty - grew a beard, asked
> for permission to pray at school and swapped his jeans for Muslim dress.
> He even persuaded his mother, Mary McLeod, the daughter of an evangelical
> Christian, to embrace Islam.

> Three years ago, he closed the family loop by marrying another Muslim
> convert, a young British woman named Samantha Lewthwaite. The two had a
> baby, Abdullah, who is now 15 months old. A second baby is on the way.

> Mr. Lindsay, whose name has been given in various ways in different
> reports, including as Lindsey Germaine, became well known at the Leeds
> Grand Mosque for his robust recitation of the Koran in Arabic.

> His religious intensity was hard to ignore, friends say. Mr. Lindsay was
> affable, bright and one of the cool kids at Rawthorpe High School, friends
> from there say. "He was a very happy person," said Antoinette
> Crook, 20, who was a year ahead of him in school, "always telling
> jokes, always smiling."

> But after his conversion, his personality changed strikingly. He rejected
> some of his old friends and stopped smoking, listening to music and
> playing soccer. He "shut himself away," Ms. Crook said.

> Other friends told reporters that he sometimes sat in class listening to
> Islamic tapes on his personal stereo.

> He also tried to make Muslim converts out of his friends, something that
> did not endear him to his schoolmates, they said. He had
> "confrontations" with others, though not actual fights, as he
> tried to persuade them to reject Western vices and amusements, Ms. Crook
> said.

> "He was really passionate about his religion and it seemed like he
> wanted to pass it on to other people," noted Ms. Crook, who said she
> saw him on a bus in February wearing "all Muslim clothes."

> "Really, he just became a different person," she added.

> His mother, Ms. McLeod, who is now in Jamaica, was quoted in The Mail on
> Sunday as saying friends had encouraged Mr. Lindsay to embrace Islam when
> he was 15. He did, and she quickly followed suit.

> Ms. McLeod said she was stunned that her son was suspected of carrying a
> bomb on to the Piccadilly subway line. The explosion was the deadliest of
> the four, killing at least 26 people. The police found explosives in the
> trunk of his Fiat, which was parked at the Luton station.

> "I haven't stopped crying for all the people who died," Ms.
> McLeod said. "And I cried for my son. I have to deal not only with
> his death but with the fact that he may have killed all those
> people."

> Ms. McLeod added that his suspected role in the bombings was
> incomprehensible because, "after Sept. 11, I was devastated, and so
> was Germaine," and she added, "We cried for all the people who
> died and wondered how Muslims could do this."

> Mr. Lindsay left Jamaica for Britain with his mother as a 5-month-old,
> according to the Jamaican government. Like the other suspected bombers,
> whose Pakistani parents were also immigrants, he grew up with a sort of
> dual identity: Britain under his feet, Jamaica in his blood.

> He spent his childhood on the outskirts of Leeds, with his mother and two
> younger sisters in a working-class neighborhood, near Beeston, where the
> other suspects lived. Most of his neighbors were white. One person from
> the block said she remembered someone had once smashed all the windows of
> his house.

> A natural athlete who played soccer, ran and did the long jump, Mr.
> Lindsay was a regular at the gym and took up boxing.

> Three years ago, he met Ms. Lewthwaite, who is now 22, at a college in
> Luton. Despite the objections of her parents, Ms. Lewthwaite married Mr.
> Lindsay in an Islamic ceremony shortly after they met, but the couple
> never registered the union with the civil authorities. A few months ago,
> they moved from the Leeds area to Aylesbury, where Ms. Lewthwaite, who
> changed her name to Sherafiyah, grew up.

> In an interview published Sunday by The Sun, Ms. Lewthwaite, who is eight
> months pregnant and in protective custody, said she could not believe that
> her husband was involved. "I won't believe it until they show me the
> proof," she said. "I'm not going to accept it until they have
> his DNA."

> Mr. Lindsay frequently attended prayers, first at the Omar Masjid, across
> the street from the apartment in Huddersfield where he and his wife lived
> before moving to Aylesbury. The imam there, Nazeeb Albi, told reporters
> that Mr. Lindsay often worked at the neighborhood open-air market selling
> cellphone covers.

> Later, Mr. Lindsay frequented the Leeds Grand Mosque. Worshipers said he
> was an enthusiast of Arabic recitation of the Koran and prayed loudly and
> fervently. Whenever he could, he helped others perfect their
> pronunciation, said a man who would give his name only as Ahmad.
> "Everyone knew him by his voice," Ahmad said.

> Last Ramadan, he spent close to 10 nights in the mosque, praying and
> helping to serve food. Ahmad said that just three weeks ago, he saw Mr.
> Lindsay, who told him he was planning to move back to Leeds.

> A former roommate of Magdy Mahmoud Mustafa el-Nashar, a biochemist who is
> now under arrest in Egypt and being questioned in the case, said Mr.
> Nashar and Mr. Lindsay knew each other. On Saturday, the roommate, who
> would speak only on the condition of anonymity, said, "I know for
> sure that he met him the first time during last Ramadan in the Leeds Grand
> Mosque, because I also met him there the first time."

> Amy Waldman contributed reporting from Huddersfield for this article,
> Souad Mekhennet from Leeds and Hassan M. Fattah from Aylesbury.

When you notice a teenager radically changing his personality, listening to Islamic rubbish on his Walkman all day long, spending 10 nights at a mosque for Ramadan, etc etc...it's a classic case of someone's brain becoming infected by a cult.

Ring any bells?

How long do you spend here?

Re: IOW, Theo van Gogh was right

> Why would you think of yourself as a racist when Islam is not a race but a
> belief system? **confused**

I don't consider myself a racist and I know that Islam is not a race but I'
m pretty sure that if I showed that article to the middle class liberal intelligent do dooding yoghurt knitting chattering classes and said I agreed with most of it, then they'd say I was racist.