I want to make a live Smiths cd

Alex Hughes

Hi everyone,
So I want to make a batch of cds from a Smiths show to sell at local record stores. I know there has to be some sort of copyrights around the smiths live performances. Is there anyway to get around that? Should I just go for it and make them? What could some consequences be?
Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex.

I don't think there is any way around the issue of copyright unless you are selling discs to record stores in Somalia or somewhere where there is no copyright law. What the exact risk is will depend on where you live, but it's five years maximum for a first offence under US federal law.

I'd speak the the stores you are interested in selling to first. I would expect that it isn't going to be all that easy to sell bootley CDs these days, unless you have a very good product.

(think I went completely off topic so decided 2 edit !)

Last edited:
You know the kids mowadays are really into this Taylor Swift and New Direction stuff. Record some of their songs off of the youtube and add some crowd noise. Call it "One Night Only" or something and sell it at boot sales.
Profit!

I think you've missed the boat when it comes to making bootleg CDs and trying to make money from them. That was a big deal in the '90's, but these days anyone with a computer (eg 99% of the population) can download whatever bootlegged Morrissey/Smiths shows they want, for free. The only recent physical bootlegs I can think of were those LPs with previously unreleased tracks a few years ago - at the time they were offering something exclusive (though obviously they were ripped and posted to the internet within a few days of being made).

Collecting/trading bootlegs is a fine hobby, if you are into that kind of thing, but if you are looking to make money I would recommend you get a job, or find something more commercial that you can sell (drugs, perhaps?)

glad to see he CHANGED HIS PLEA TO GUILTY.the barras in Glasgow is legendery for selling everything and anything counterfeit.one chancer used to do the top forty albums on three discs for a fiver,bargain.then again I bought my first mozz bootleg at the barras,barrolands 2002 I think,the one where someone threw a pint of lager at the stage and mozz says if he does that again will you wopp him,crowd yessssss.

Tags
bootlegs cd cds live smiths
Back
Top Bottom