If you could resurrect any feature of the Old Solo - what would it be ?

If you could bring back any feature of the Old Solo - what would it be ?

• main page polls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • guestbook

• all of the above

• something that pre-dates even 1, 2, and 3 above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Damn you, so-low! Damn you!!!

"the above pre-dates my time here so I really could not say", but a chatroom featuring some of the regulars here would definitely be... something else.

I second this. I mean how could the thumbs up thing be a useful function, but not chat. I'd love for the chat room to return.

Re:

I remember around 2009 there weren't many people in the chatroom.
People who used to be in there moved to other medium such as facebook.
It costs money to have chatroom option which was also an economical decision to remove it.
Chatroom was rather redundant feature for some notorious trolls. Good riddance indeed.

Mainpage poll had been disabled because it makes too slow to load.
Since then anonymous users are able to vote all the polls posted in the forums.

Personally I really hope software upgrade will bring back thread ignore function.
It helps the forums look tidy and I simply don't like to see too many redundant threads (especially poll threads) in general discussion.

Last edited:
Re:

Kewpie said "Mainpage poll had been disabled because it makes too slow to load.
Since then anonymous users are able to vote all the polls posted in the forums."

Mainpage polls got *thousands* of votes. Forum polls don't. "Too slow to load" is not a valid justification to remove that wonderful feature of this site.

Re:

Mainpage polls got *thousands* of votes. Forum polls don't. "Too slow to load" is not a valid justification to remove that wonderful feature of this site.

And yet main page load time is one of the more important metrics when dealing with a site. Things that slow load times down get moved to other areas, it's just the way it's done.

Re:

I think we heard the magic word, money, it costs.

Re:

And yet main page load time is one of the more important metrics when dealing with a site. Things that slow load times down get moved to other areas, it's just the way it's done.

Thanks for dismissing both a person and a site feature that pre-dates your time. You know where you can shove your metrics, right?

Re:

Thanks for dismissing both a person and a site feature that pre-dates your time. You know where you can shove your metrics, right?

That's simply how it works. I could give a f*** whether you like it or not.

Re:

After the major site redesign in 2009, both chatroom and polls on the main page were included. While the chat was technically more advanced, not that many people used it so it was eventually disabled after a year without hardly anyone noticing. The polls don't work as well technically for the main page as it did for the previous slash system. Also, after 12 years of doing polls, most topics had been covered and if someone wants to create a poll now they are free to do it in the forums.

The chatroom hardcore members still chat to this day elsewhere, or trolls as they are called around here.

I added a chatroom for free to my website so the cost bit goes out the window. However, the need to moderate it was more an issue here at Solo I guess.

I'd resurrect that emoticon that was a cross between :rolleyes: and :straightface:. It was like a guy shrugging. A few of them were lost in an update a few years ago.

Re:

After the major site redesign in 2009, both chatroom and polls on the main page were included. While the chat was technically more advanced, not that many people used it so it was eventually disabled after a year without hardly anyone noticing. The polls don't work as well technically for the main page as it did for the previous slash system. Also, after 12 years of doing polls, most topics had been covered and if someone wants to create a poll now they are free to do it in the forums.

David, will you take into account the outcome of the poll and maybe add a chatroom again?

If you do then you really need to have some sort of disclaimer saying you and this website take no responsibility of what goes on in there making it easier to actually have one up. Another option would be to let someone keen enough to chat and who voted for a chatroom to put one up and administrate it for himself or herself. It doesn't even need to be a chatroom on this website but you could just have a link to it.

Just an idea....

I think those against it prefer the forum but in the past chatters used the chat and maybe not the forum as much where as forumistas rarely ventured into the chatroom. Maybe those preferring the forum fear a mass exodus from it should a chatroom make a comeback.

^^^^^
I would take all responsibility for a Chatroom, legal and otherwise, if David could point me in the right direction and bless it. I am willing to pay for site design, etc., etc. I don't want a piece of s**t chatroom and am willing to pay someone to design a really cool one. It does not have to say "sponsored by Moz-Solo" if David would just link to it, like he does TTY, I am game to at least explore the possibility.

Respectfully,

- Ghoul

^^^^^
I would take all responsibility for a Chatroom, legal and otherwise, if David could point me in the right direction and bless it. I am willing to pay for site design, etc., etc. I don't want a piece of s**t chatroom and am willing to pay someone to design a really cool one. It does not have to say "sponsored by Moz-Solo" if David would just link to it, like he does TTY, I am game to at least explore the possibility.

Respectfully,

- Ghoul

Wow man, you really miss the place that much?

Didn't the old chatroom bring out the worst in you and even made you depressed on more than one occasion?

The new java based chat which was working for a year was working great and had a lot of features and can be implemented pretty quickly with a cost of $125 / year (addonchat). I did not want to make it a priority to spend time dealing with the issues it so anonymous accounts weren't allowed, the side effect is that few people actually used it as most people that use the site are not logged in (which is another proof why allowing anonymous comments should be allowed). Also I think people use other sites or programs to chat now and it's really not a necessary feature.

^^^^^

Respectfully,

- Ghoul

Appreciate the info, David! :)

I did as well!

That is very cheap for a whole year and the monthly cost is laughable. BG should set up a Paypal donation scheme and get the chatroom up again, on this site or elsewhere with the promise of at least a link to it on this website.

Back
Top Bottom