...I'm surprised someone hasn't made a thread abot this yet...

...about the tragedy in Finland yesterday when eight teachers and pupils were killed at Jokela High School.

My deepest condolences to the victims and their families!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokela_school_shooting

How horrible. I don't think that the news here in the US has mentioned it at all; of course, it doesn't help that we couldn't identify Finland on the map anyway.

My condolences also. A terrifying story, but one we keep hearing more and more often.

that and this sort of stuff seems to be happening in the US every month or so...
so are guns illegal in finland? everyone's always saying we have gun probs becuse they arent illegal but then i see gun related problems going down all over the world anyway... ah, politics.

that and this sort of stuff seems to be happening in the US every month or so...
so are guns illegal in finland? everyone's always saying we have gun probs becuse they arent illegal but then i see gun related problems going down all over the world anyway... ah, politics.

You're right, but for the sake of perspective: in 2004 there were 144 homicides in Finland. In 2004 there were 278 murders in Baltimore alone.

Actually Finland got really liberal gun laws, amongst the most liberal in Europe. You can apply for weapon license at the age of 15 and gun sports are quite common, plus Finland is a neighbour to the ex-Sovjet Union.

You're right, but for the sake of perspective: in 2004 there were 144 homicides in Finland. In 2004 there were 278 murders in Baltimore alone.

Thats all? wow we did GOOD that year!!!! you know, we gotta protect our herrin stash.

how many people are in finland vs baltimore, i think they count balto county in that but most of the shizzit goes down in the city. what an unsafe place. we are just like detroit, we're getting there.

Actually Finland got really liberal gun laws, amongst the most liberal in Europe. You can apply for weapon license at the age of 15 and gun sports are quite common, plus Finland is a neighbour to the ex-Sovjet Union.

oooooh! Thanks!

In all seriousness i do see what guns do to people far too much here in baltimore. I dont think making them illegal is going to help, i think its too late for that, but it does make me sad when i see people in comas that just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

Last edited:
That's awful. We probably haven't heard about it because it's happened so often here. My condolences as well.

I was following this story yesterday so it made it on the news. Very sad. Finland has high handgun ownership but it's probably like Germany where there's a very through investigation before you can get one (almost like getting a security clearance here in US). Need to email my friends in Helskini to see how they are holding up.

Thats all? wow we did GOOD that year!!!! you know, we gotta protect our herrin stash.

how many people are in finland vs baltimore, i think they count balto county in that but most of the shizzit goes down in the city. what an unsafe place. we are just like detroit, we're getting there.

Greater Baltimore has about half the population of all of Finland.

So sad.Only a few months ago a 11 year old was shot dead in liverpool.If i had my way guns would be banned outside of military circles

Greater Baltimore has about half the population of all of Finland.

that is what i figured. people think one country must have millions upon millions of people, but one city-county area here in the NE can have half the population of a country. its how those darn statistics convince people of things.
its probably too cold in finland to go out and bust caps in people's asses all year long. heh.

meat is murder 19, it is a nice thought, but making something illegal doesnt make things go away and sometimes makes things worse. Drugs are illegal, but you wouldn't know it walking around downtown baltimore.

Last edited:
This is terrible, i saw in the news his youtube profile and he had unabomber videos and others as favorites, i wish so much this things could be seen in advance.

Hmm, 144 murders on one year in Finland (ca 5 million inhabitants) is still pretty much compared to Sweden (average 70 murders a year on a 9 million population). Denmark nearly has as many murders as Finland but Finland has since long been the most murderous country in the North.

Finland has the third highest armed civilian population in the World, 56 weapons per 100 civilians. Only the US and Yemen has higher.

Last edited:
that is what i figured. people think one country must have millions upon millions of people, but one city-county area here in the NE can have half the population of a country. its how those darn statistics convince people of things.

Indeed. DC has more than Finland, and it's not even close to being the biggest city on the East Coast.

its probably too cold in finland to go out and bust caps in people's asses all year long. heh.

And people accuse me of having no empathy...

...Sweden (average 70 murders a year on a 9 million population).

That's amazing. What's in the water there? Estrogen?

Last edited:
And people accuse me of having no empathy...

Dude! I live in BALTIMORE! LOL

funny story to show how i've changed since moving here. i was at disney world with the family, and we were at the hotel's cafeteria. we were all sitting there and there was a loud crack like a bullet. I was halfway under the table before anyone even noticed it, hahahaha, of course it wasn't a bullet it was some kid toy or something, but that just goes to show you!

i wonder how many ghettos they have. sweden, that is. is everyone white and wealthy, that's the picture i have in my mind of swedes hee hee
they have a totally different way of running their gov't i believe. arent the taxes insane but everyone goes to school and has healthcare or something? no stratification? if only we could apply that to 300 million people. if US only had 9 it may have been doable.

I remember a news report several years ago about Finland having a lot of depressed people, something to do with the lack of sunlight. I haven't been there (yet) but I would imagine they'd have summers similar to Scandinavia. If money were no object, I'd have a summer home in Denmark. :cool:

I'd also like to express my condolences...It's truly tragic...On a par with Dunblane over here...
Making guns illegal wouldn't help at all...We have gun murders in England even though they're illegal...It's a terrible thing
Apparently he said no-one was to blame apart from himself, he didn't want anyone to blame games, music or television...I'm suprised it wasn't picked up on youtube earlier, because his video was on it
Awful...Truly awful

arent the taxes insane but everyone goes to school and has healthcare or something?
I got into this discussion with some Danish friends. They do have high taxes but when I figured out that I'm in the highest tax bracket then add what I pay for health insurance and deductibles it's all about the same. Heck, it was the mid-90s before my health insurance started covering birth control! However, their public education is far superior. I worked for a very large corporation and all of out eBusiness technology came from Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom