in need of a good gritty tv drama

libby

I have just finished watching The Shield with i enjoyed hugely and before that had my teeth firmly into The Wire. Can anybody suggest a good series to follow these with. Thank you

I have just finished watching The Shield with i enjoyed hugely and before that had my teeth firmly into The Wire. Can anybody suggest a good series to follow these with. Thank you

I'm not sure anything can follow The Wire, that show is a masterpiece, but...

Generation Kill - Written by the same guy as The Wire, Iraq War drama about a group of US Marines.

Homicide: Life On The Street - Based on the book by David Simon. Bleak drama about a homicide unit in Baltimore. Great.

Deadwood - Brutal Western with Ian McShane particularly good as the amoral villain.

The Corner - 6 part mini-series with many of the same actors from the wire also set in the same neighborhood.

Carnivale - Offbeat drama about a travelling freak show during the depression.

Oz - Harsh prison drama that ran for quite a few series'.

I think a lot of it would depend what country you live in and whether you are after crime-esque drama or not. I'm not sure whether these shows are 'gritty" but I have found them to be good tv dramas...

(UK)
Teachers
Party Animals

(Australia)
Underbelly
Blue Murder

I wouldn't call Teachers "gritty drama", but it is well worth checking out, especially the first 3 series', which are brilliant viewing.

While not too gritty, Burn Notice is a great show. I watch with my pants off. So should you.

"Deadwood" is easily one of the three or four best TV dramas ever.

deadwood_l.jpg

Have you caught any of McShane's new show Kings at all? I'm in two minds whether to download it.

I haven't. I've been re-watching "Deadwood" recently.

I love Ian MacShane and do want to see "Kings" though. At some point I will. Looks a little silly, but I will watch anything with MacShane in it with an open mind.

I haven't. I've been re-watching "Deadwood" recently.

I love Ian MacShane and do want to see "Kings" though. At some point I will. Looks a little silly, but I will watch anything with MacShane in it with an open mind.

If you like Lovejoy, you're in common with Terry Hall.

Terry Hall actually likes McShane's musical output as well. :eek:

Thanks for the feedback there are certainly a few for me to check out am thinking generation kill & underbelly to start. Thanks people:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks good, it's certainly good to have plenty of stuff to watch because tv is generally so appalling
I don't think you'd regret buying the 'Our Friends In The North' series, compelling and excellent.
The Smiths on the soundtrack too, always a winner.

Aye TV is cacky bobbins (for the most)

Mind you, the History Channels/Discovery Channels have some decent stuff.

Cant wait for the new Big Brother though...:lbf:

Reality TV is the arsehole of the world.

I will recommend Six Feet Under. My boyfriend and I just finished watching all five series. It took us about 7 months and it is probably the best TV-drama I have ever watched. It just has everything.

We are now watching The Sopranos which I will also recommend. I suppose it has more of the "grittiness" that you're after, but so far, I don't like it as much as Six Feet Under.

This Life is one of the best British TV dramas in 90s.

Pity Channel 4 didn't commission second series of Ghost Squad.

I loved this life and adored egg, was very disappointed by the reunion episode a few years ago though.

Back
Top Bottom