Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

'Who would I like to say sorry to? Myself. I put myself through torture': Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

The Daily Fail with an 'interview' with Morrissey - zero indication of where or when. With him being very low key, it would have been nice for a bit of background.
Article by Olivia Buxton. 20th, May, 2017.

For those not wanting to give the rag any 'clicks':

Born Steven Patrick Morrissey in Lancashire in 1959, the frequently outspoken former Smiths frontman, singer and author turns 58 tomorrow. His bookish song lyrics were hailed as the finest in rock music, yet his novel ‘List Of The Lost’ won the ‘Bad Sex In Fiction’ award in 2015.

What is your earliest memory?

Being carried on my mother’s shoulders… up and down the living room… nothing’s changed since then.

What sort of child were you?

Perfect in every way.

What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?

A journalist told me that my audience is identical to Barry Manilow’s. This was bone-chilling to hear. I left the room.

Who would like to say sorry to and why?

Myself. I put myself through torture. One cancelled show and I lower my face on to a hot stove for six weeks.

Last row you had?

I once sat on the next table to Judge Judy, and for three solid hours she would not stop talking. The woman sitting with her contributed one or two umms, but Judge Rude-y could not shut up. I was ready to ram her face into her own spaghetti.

Tell us a secret about yourself

I have never had a cup of coffee in my entire life. That’s exciting, isn’t it?

What one law would you change?

All meat products should have a MEAT KILLS government health warning because meat production kills the consumer, kills the planet, kills animals. So why is it legal? Since meat causes more damage than tobacco, why only a health warning on tobacco?

Which words or phrases do you overuse?

Finishing a sentence with ‘and so on’ when in fact there’s nothing else to add.

Have you ever cheated death?

Four times.

Who would play you in a film of your life?

I cannot be replicated.

What is the worst job you’ve done?

I was a filing clerk for the Inland Revenue for a few weeks. I ought to have been put to death for that.

What is your worst habit?

I side with anyone who takes the most cynical view.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?

I know every episode of The Big Valley (1965-69) line by line. It isn’t helpful.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?

London’s East End of 1888. The anonymity fascinates me, the rolling fog, the narrow turnings, the prospect of sudden death, a knees-up at The Old King’s Vomit…

When was the last time you cried?

The election of Predicament Trump. He’s a child impersonating an adult, isn’t he? And I can’t forgive him for the sugar-capped teeth and slippery smile of Kellyanne Conway.

What’s the one thing every man should know about women?

Whether male or female, there is always a flaw in the manufacturing.

Who would your dream dinner date be?

I’ve never been on a date, so I’m not even sure what one is.

What’s one skill everyone should have?

The ability to listen. Judge Judy does not have this… which is why she’s a judge.

What’s the worst pain you’ve experienced?

Being a teenager in Seventies Manchester.

Have you ever had a nickname?

I wasn’t ever popular enough to have a nickname.

What song do you want at your funeral?

Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone by Ethel Waters.

What’s the best kiss you’ve had?

None ever.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?

‘You don’t project very well as a TV interview.’ I knew it was true.

Regards,
FWD.

Song mentioned:

UPDATE: 10:10 AM PT:

An anonymous person posted a scan of the print edition version:

40078_dailymail_20170521.jpg

UPDATE May 23:

Additional question posted on Jesse's Twitter (link posted by Famous When Dead) and Mando's wife's Instagram, (link posted by an anonymous person):

Stop the press!
Jesse Tobias tweeted:
View attachment 41586
Regards,
FWD.

Jesse is not the only one. Mando's wife has the same message on her instagram

A message from #Morrissey... Although the Daily Mail in London printed a q&a with Morrissey yesterday they refused to print the following response: Mail: Which person do you most dislike? Morrissey: Theresa May for saying "I fully support fox-hunting." She doesn't realize that foxes are mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my girlfriend have watched too many episodes of Judge Judy simply because it is always on when nothing worth watching is on around the time we have dinner. It is daytime tv for retired people like myself.

I am a big fan of the court guard and the way he walks and I have said that in another thread way back. That is a seriously chilled out dude.
maybe you should, like, turn the television off during dinner? i'd rather have silence than that horrible noise.

At last. A newspaper piece about Moz where the interviewer doesnt waste half the ink talking about themselves or how depressing The Smiths were. Great interview/Q&A

- Almost being kidnapped for ransom in Mexico
- Deadly tomato pasta (resulting double pneumonia)
- Barretts's Esophagus
- Car accident reference in That's How People Grow Up ("I crashed and broke my spine") and another one in 2013

There may be others earlier in his life that usurp these.
'Being born' would probably top his list.:)

I reckon me find this a bit tossey inn in it? He throws in a "Judge Judy" reference. Would anyone outside of the USA know who "Judge Judy" is. Mayor of Malibu Steve Morrissey is more American than apple pie and baseball. Crykey, will someone finally ask Steve what he orders at Orange Julius

Crikey, I didn't see this coming from you, Aztec!
I thought you were gonna comment on the spaghetti of judge Judy.
Could it be Moz smelled and decided it was meh, comparing it to the delicious pasta marinara of auntie Nancy?

It's entirely appropriate that Moz should speak to the Daily Mail - the most right-wing, anti-immigrant newspaper in the UK. He'll feel right at home. :sick:

Ah yes, all the right wing brigade over here want to hand back The Falklands and see the fox hunting ban continued.

Steven did have a nickname but I suppose he doesn't want to broadcast it so I will.
He was known as PANSIE PETE.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Stop the press!
Jesse Tobias tweeted:
20170522_211639.png

Regards,
FWD.

what's the old king's vomit reference all about?

It's a silly British joke. British pubs often have extremely strange names, some going back many hundreds of years. This is his own made up version of a name that might exist, but does not.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/...mes-in-britain?utm_term=.vudddL2Lg#.psWooegej

Sadly, these days, now the larger companies are more involved in the trade some pubs are refurbished and given ludicrous new names not because of some historical reason unique to the property or area, but because some wet behind the ears marketing tossers made it up on a Friday afternoon, before, yes, that's right, going to the pub.

A pub near to me was for many, many years known as the Jack of Both Sides, as it was/is located at a junction. It's sign was a playing card, and I'll leave you to guess which one. A new brewery took it over and renamed it "The Upin Arms". Yes, hilarious, eh? It's now been refurbished again and is called the Abbott Cook, which although lacking the charm of the original, historic name in my opinion, at least references a long dead local character.

A google of the history British pubs can be an enjoyable distraction if history is your thing. For example, Ye Olde Mitre pub in Holborn, east London was for many centuries in Cambridgeshire. But in London. But in Cambridgeshire. Until the seventies the Metropolitan [London] Police didn't really have legal jurisdiction there, and if there was any trouble the landlord should really have called the Cambridgeshire Police, sixty-five miles away.

Down the years I must have been in three of four pubs which claim to be the oldest in England, more than a couple which claim to have been the place (the fictional) Sweeney Todd committed his crimes, and God alone knows how many which claim Dick Turpin stayed there.

This is my third post! Why won't you bots stomach my truths?? :thumb:

Too hard to understand? :crazy: here's your messiah talking crap again!

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I am now completely convinced that Moz needs to marry someone rich.

He would change into a bright ray of sunshine. Wishing everyone a 'pleasant day'. Bluhh

I am now completely convinced that Moz needs to marry someone rich.

He would change into a bright ray of sunshine. Wishing everyone a 'pleasant day'. Bluhh

He's already married secretly to aunt Nancy. Rich enough, I guess.
At the Malibu beach house.
Aztec was there. He was a witness.
Ask him.

It's a silly British joke. British pubs often have extremely strange names, some going back many hundreds of years. This is his own made up version of a name that might exist, but does not.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/...mes-in-britain?utm_term=.vudddL2Lg#.psWooegej

Sadly, these days, now the larger companies are more involved in the trade some pubs are refurbished and given ludicrous new names not because of some historical reason unique to the property or area, but because some wet behind the ears marketing tossers made it up on a Friday afternoon, before, yes, that's right, going to the pub.

A pub near to me was for many, many years known as the Jack of Both Sides, as it was/is located at a junction. It's sign was a playing card, and I'll leave you to guess which one. A new brewery took it over and renamed it "The Upin Arms". Yes, hilarious, eh? It's now been refurbished again and is called the Abbott Cook, which although lacking the charm of the original, historic name in my opinion, at least references a long dead local character.

A google of the history British pubs can be an enjoyable distraction if history is your thing. For example, Ye Olde Mitre pub in Holborn, east London was for many centuries in Cambridgeshire. But in London. But in Cambridgeshire. Until the seventies the Metropolitan [London] Police didn't really have legal jurisdiction there, and if there was any trouble the landlord should really have called the Cambridgeshire Police, sixty-five miles away.

Down the years I must have been in three of four pubs which claim to be the oldest in England, more than a couple which claim to have been the place (the fictional) Sweeney Todd committed his crimes, and God alone knows how many which claim Dick Turpin stayed there.

Renaming a pub sounds like bad luck, similar to renaming a boat. Interesting post. There is a Pet Shop Boys song called :"The Resurrectionist" that mentions several old London locations including King of Denmark pub. I do like reading about this kind of history.

what's the old king's vomit reference all about?

its a term of English pub endearment, in the Uk if a pub is rough and full of undesirables its often known/referred to as a "spit and sawdust" pub. harking back to the old days. in essence??? A shit hole of a pub!

Obviously, the interview was conducted in the usual manner (via email), otherwise, there would be follow up questions. Like the one about being close to death 4 times. Now we will never know. Too bad.

Four albums with the Smiths.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom