Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

'Who would I like to say sorry to? Myself. I put myself through torture': Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

The Daily Fail with an 'interview' with Morrissey - zero indication of where or when. With him being very low key, it would have been nice for a bit of background.
Article by Olivia Buxton. 20th, May, 2017.

For those not wanting to give the rag any 'clicks':

Born Steven Patrick Morrissey in Lancashire in 1959, the frequently outspoken former Smiths frontman, singer and author turns 58 tomorrow. His bookish song lyrics were hailed as the finest in rock music, yet his novel ‘List Of The Lost’ won the ‘Bad Sex In Fiction’ award in 2015.

What is your earliest memory?

Being carried on my mother’s shoulders… up and down the living room… nothing’s changed since then.

What sort of child were you?

Perfect in every way.

What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?

A journalist told me that my audience is identical to Barry Manilow’s. This was bone-chilling to hear. I left the room.

Who would like to say sorry to and why?

Myself. I put myself through torture. One cancelled show and I lower my face on to a hot stove for six weeks.

Last row you had?

I once sat on the next table to Judge Judy, and for three solid hours she would not stop talking. The woman sitting with her contributed one or two umms, but Judge Rude-y could not shut up. I was ready to ram her face into her own spaghetti.

Tell us a secret about yourself

I have never had a cup of coffee in my entire life. That’s exciting, isn’t it?

What one law would you change?

All meat products should have a MEAT KILLS government health warning because meat production kills the consumer, kills the planet, kills animals. So why is it legal? Since meat causes more damage than tobacco, why only a health warning on tobacco?

Which words or phrases do you overuse?

Finishing a sentence with ‘and so on’ when in fact there’s nothing else to add.

Have you ever cheated death?

Four times.

Who would play you in a film of your life?

I cannot be replicated.

What is the worst job you’ve done?

I was a filing clerk for the Inland Revenue for a few weeks. I ought to have been put to death for that.

What is your worst habit?

I side with anyone who takes the most cynical view.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?

I know every episode of The Big Valley (1965-69) line by line. It isn’t helpful.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?

London’s East End of 1888. The anonymity fascinates me, the rolling fog, the narrow turnings, the prospect of sudden death, a knees-up at The Old King’s Vomit…

When was the last time you cried?

The election of Predicament Trump. He’s a child impersonating an adult, isn’t he? And I can’t forgive him for the sugar-capped teeth and slippery smile of Kellyanne Conway.

What’s the one thing every man should know about women?

Whether male or female, there is always a flaw in the manufacturing.

Who would your dream dinner date be?

I’ve never been on a date, so I’m not even sure what one is.

What’s one skill everyone should have?

The ability to listen. Judge Judy does not have this… which is why she’s a judge.

What’s the worst pain you’ve experienced?

Being a teenager in Seventies Manchester.

Have you ever had a nickname?

I wasn’t ever popular enough to have a nickname.

What song do you want at your funeral?

Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone by Ethel Waters.

What’s the best kiss you’ve had?

None ever.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?

‘You don’t project very well as a TV interview.’ I knew it was true.

Regards,
FWD.

Song mentioned:

UPDATE: 10:10 AM PT:

An anonymous person posted a scan of the print edition version:

40078_dailymail_20170521.jpg

UPDATE May 23:

Additional question posted on Jesse's Twitter (link posted by Famous When Dead) and Mando's wife's Instagram, (link posted by an anonymous person):

Stop the press!
Jesse Tobias tweeted:
View attachment 41586
Regards,
FWD.

Jesse is not the only one. Mando's wife has the same message on her instagram

A message from #Morrissey... Although the Daily Mail in London printed a q&a with Morrissey yesterday they refused to print the following response: Mail: Which person do you most dislike? Morrissey: Theresa May for saying "I fully support fox-hunting." She doesn't realize that foxes are mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everything will be alright, dear Quando!

I will, however, send you a message with an idea quite soon.

Thanks Oh my!
Interested in your idea!

Hi QQQ, I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. I'm sending love and the very best healing thoughts I know to you and also hoping that you will get the best and easiest care and treatment and be on your way to feeling great again very soon!!!

You just did the only thing I needed most and that was having a laugh, by mentioning my boney, long feet.
I forgot about them, mentioning them to you! You have such a remarkable eye for detail and a very good memory! And you are funny, at least to me.

Can I please hold on to my fantasy about nurse Rifke giving my boney feet a firm massage with your strong hands? :p
aw of course, gare bear. love you!

is this idea something you found in some obscure 17th century book?! :p

It is possible to mislead Sherlock Holmes and Dupin, but it's not possible to mislead a woman.
I'll take it as a rhetorical question, tricky lady.

This thread went off topic 4 pages ago.

You are right and I am feeling responsible for it.
Maybe people are now hesitant to post about the subject matter of the thread as they don’t want to seem rude or unkind.
So, please mods, move the posts concerning my health to another thread or forum, I would completely understand.

Hi QQQ, I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. I'm sending love and the very best healing thoughts I know to you and also hoping that you will get the best and easiest care and treatment and be on your way to feeling great again very soon!!!

Thank you so much, “me on a drab day”.
It warms my heart to receive so many kindness and generosity and it surely has a positive influence on my emotional well-being. :thumb:

You are right and I am feeling responsible for it.
Maybe people are now hesitant to post about the subject matter of the thread as they don’t want to seem rude or unkind.
So, please mods, move the posts concerning my health to another thread or forum, I would completely understand.
It's an old thread anyway, Q. I don't think anybody was interested in it any more. Anyway, real people are always more important than the emailed, vodka-fuelled ramblings of an ageing singer :)

It's an old thread anyway, Q. I don't think anybody was interested in it any more. Anyway, real people are always more important than the emailed, vodka-fuelled ramblings of an ageing singer :)

Maybe important is a too strong word for it but “interesting” would cover it for me.
I guess the aging is not really so much the issue for you as there are more aging singers whose voice sounds great and with Moz you could say it has been getting better and better with age.

Maybe it is the wodka bothering you?
Whatever outrageous things he seems to be saying, not all of it, by the way, it is all secondary to the music, the product but I guess you don’t like it as much as I do.
It’s okay.

Maybe important is a too strong word for it but “interesting” would cover it for me.
I guess the aging is not really so much the issue for you as there are more aging singers whose voice sounds great and with Moz you could say it has been getting better and better with age.

Maybe it is the wodka bothering you?
Whatever outrageous things he seems to be saying, not all of it, by the way, it is all secondary to the music, the product but I guess you don’t like it as much as I do.
It’s okay.

Ah, always with the interesting philosophical meanderings, Q! The age is not a problem. I could hardly say it was as I am almost as old as he is :eek: And I do agree the voice is sounding very good. The wodka? Haha, well, he can drink as much as he likes but booze can be very destructive, both to the body and the cognitive function. This bothers me.

To me, Morrissey in 2018 is different to 20, or even 10 years ago. Less witty, less surprising. Less (dare I say it) brilliant. I have no idea whether that's due to booze, but there's plenty of anecdotes out there from people who say he drinks a lot. Some of his statements in recent years make you think he must be either pissed or mentally marinaded. And that makes me depressed, because it's like leaving something really precious out in the rain, and you're slowly watching it disintegrate.

I do know you (and others) take a much more, I would say, generous view. But you are one of the few on here who tolerate all views, and I like that. I joined here wanting to sit on the fence: having the freedom to criticise or praise the man. I didn't want to belong to either camp, but I sometimes wonder if that's possible. It's pretty tribal, here, isn't it?

You may have spent years researching, but you have no idea what you are talking about. What I posted above is stone-cold scientific fact, and what you posted are lies, pure and simple. And dangerous lies at that. But then, who am I - just someone who spent the past few years looking at the antimicrobial effect of additives like Ascorbic Acid in a microbiology lab. What do I know, eh?

Oh, and your Doctor Myhill is talking utter bollocks. Pure unadulterated lies. As I have stated before, Vitamin C has ZERO antimicrobial effect. You can tell her I told you to say that. And I'll bring an armful of lab reports too.

I take it you mean 'looking at the antimicrobial effect of additives like Ascorbic Acid" on babushkas. LOL :crazy:
from rags to microbiology, then giving up microbiology for Moz moderating.:laughing:

You may hold different views, but please don't call me under-educated. I've spent years researching this kind of stuff, through having a serious chronic illness for which so-called 'conventional medicine' has been useless. I freely admit I don't know everything but I do have some knowledge.

Dr Sarah Myhill:
"Vitamin C is the most powerful, broad spectrum anti-microbial which we have available to us. It is completely safe to human cells with no known toxicity. It should be available for routine use in all infectious disease. It is not, simply because it cannot be patented by a drug company, no money can be made from its sales and since the pharmaceuticals now control medical education, it has been written out of the curriculum."

Dr Frederick Robert Klenner, B.S., M.S., M.D., F.C.C.P., F.A.A.F.P. 1907 - 1984:
“The patient should get large doses of Vitamin C in all pathological conditions while the physician ponders the diagnosis.”

Klenner used high dose vitamin C by mouth and by intravenous injection to cure hundreds of cases of infection including polio, Rocky Mountain fever, pneumonia and other such. He also stated:
"We've used massive doses of vitamins on over 10,000 people over a period of 30 years, and we’ve never seen any ill effects from them. The only effects we've seen have been beneficial.”

WTF is wrong with you?? Were you not informed that Skinny is a microbe expert and that he has determined Vitamin C - Ascorbic Acid - is in no way antimicrobial, whether antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-algal - anything you choose. Don't you know this??? Don't you know that VITAMIN C has NO FUNGAL qualities? That if you have fungus in your toe you cant put Vit C on it??

Or that wool and acrylic blow each other up??? What type of education do yo have? LOL:squiffy:

Ah, always with the interesting philosophical meanderings, Q! The age is not a problem. I could hardly say it was as I am almost as old as he is :eek: And I do agree the voice is sounding very good. The wodka? Haha, well, he can drink as much as he likes but booze can be very destructive, both to the body and the cognitive function. This bothers me.

To me, Morrissey in 2018 is different to 20, or even 10 years ago. Less witty, less surprising. Less (dare I say it) brilliant. I have no idea whether that's due to booze, but there's plenty of anecdotes out there from people who say he drinks a lot. Some of his statements in recent years make you think he must be either pissed or mentally marinaded. And that makes me depressed, because it's like leaving something really precious out in the rain, and you're slowly watching it disintegrate.

I do know you (and others) take a much more, I would say, generous view. But you are one of the few on here who tolerate all views, and I like that. I joined here wanting to sit on the fence: having the freedom to criticise or praise the man. I didn't want to belong to either camp, but I sometimes wonder if that's possible. It's pretty tribal, here, isn't it?

Yes, it is pretty tribal.
I have to say I can understand people really feeling disappointed and not liking his music from a certain point on.
Why exactly I still like him and his music is maybe a bit mysterious to me as well or at least to be argumentative about it is not convincing enough.

I loved and still love The Smiths and I don’t know why I just like all

Yes, it is pretty tribal.
I have to say I can understand people really feeling disappointed and not liking his music from a certain point on.
Why exactly I still like him and his music is maybe a bit mysterious to me as well or at least to be argumentative about it is not convincing enough.

I loved and still love The Smiths and I don’t know why I just like all Moz solo stuff and am not at all disappointed with his music after The Sniths.

I never saw The Smiths live so maybe I missed some of “that” magic and couldn’t be disappointed at all.

Viva Hate was and is as good imho as anything from The Smiths which convinced me more or less that Moz was the integral part of The Smiths which doesn’t say anything denigrating about Johnny Marr, (f***ing great guitarist!) or the other members.
All great musicians!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom