Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

'Who would I like to say sorry to? Myself. I put myself through torture': Inside the head of... Morrissey - Daily Mail

The Daily Fail with an 'interview' with Morrissey - zero indication of where or when. With him being very low key, it would have been nice for a bit of background.
Article by Olivia Buxton. 20th, May, 2017.

For those not wanting to give the rag any 'clicks':

Born Steven Patrick Morrissey in Lancashire in 1959, the frequently outspoken former Smiths frontman, singer and author turns 58 tomorrow. His bookish song lyrics were hailed as the finest in rock music, yet his novel ‘List Of The Lost’ won the ‘Bad Sex In Fiction’ award in 2015.

What is your earliest memory?

Being carried on my mother’s shoulders… up and down the living room… nothing’s changed since then.

What sort of child were you?

Perfect in every way.

What is the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?

A journalist told me that my audience is identical to Barry Manilow’s. This was bone-chilling to hear. I left the room.

Who would like to say sorry to and why?

Myself. I put myself through torture. One cancelled show and I lower my face on to a hot stove for six weeks.

Last row you had?

I once sat on the next table to Judge Judy, and for three solid hours she would not stop talking. The woman sitting with her contributed one or two umms, but Judge Rude-y could not shut up. I was ready to ram her face into her own spaghetti.

Tell us a secret about yourself

I have never had a cup of coffee in my entire life. That’s exciting, isn’t it?

What one law would you change?

All meat products should have a MEAT KILLS government health warning because meat production kills the consumer, kills the planet, kills animals. So why is it legal? Since meat causes more damage than tobacco, why only a health warning on tobacco?

Which words or phrases do you overuse?

Finishing a sentence with ‘and so on’ when in fact there’s nothing else to add.

Have you ever cheated death?

Four times.

Who would play you in a film of your life?

I cannot be replicated.

What is the worst job you’ve done?

I was a filing clerk for the Inland Revenue for a few weeks. I ought to have been put to death for that.

What is your worst habit?

I side with anyone who takes the most cynical view.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?

I know every episode of The Big Valley (1965-69) line by line. It isn’t helpful.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?

London’s East End of 1888. The anonymity fascinates me, the rolling fog, the narrow turnings, the prospect of sudden death, a knees-up at The Old King’s Vomit…

When was the last time you cried?

The election of Predicament Trump. He’s a child impersonating an adult, isn’t he? And I can’t forgive him for the sugar-capped teeth and slippery smile of Kellyanne Conway.

What’s the one thing every man should know about women?

Whether male or female, there is always a flaw in the manufacturing.

Who would your dream dinner date be?

I’ve never been on a date, so I’m not even sure what one is.

What’s one skill everyone should have?

The ability to listen. Judge Judy does not have this… which is why she’s a judge.

What’s the worst pain you’ve experienced?

Being a teenager in Seventies Manchester.

Have you ever had a nickname?

I wasn’t ever popular enough to have a nickname.

What song do you want at your funeral?

Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone by Ethel Waters.

What’s the best kiss you’ve had?

None ever.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had?

‘You don’t project very well as a TV interview.’ I knew it was true.

Regards,
FWD.

Song mentioned:

UPDATE: 10:10 AM PT:

An anonymous person posted a scan of the print edition version:

40078_dailymail_20170521.jpg

UPDATE May 23:

Additional question posted on Jesse's Twitter (link posted by Famous When Dead) and Mando's wife's Instagram, (link posted by an anonymous person):

Stop the press!
Jesse Tobias tweeted:
View attachment 41586
Regards,
FWD.

Jesse is not the only one. Mando's wife has the same message on her instagram

A message from #Morrissey... Although the Daily Mail in London printed a q&a with Morrissey yesterday they refused to print the following response: Mail: Which person do you most dislike? Morrissey: Theresa May for saying "I fully support fox-hunting." She doesn't realize that foxes are mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too depressed to be weird.

Don’t feel bad for me Urbie.
I still have some hope.
And, you should not get your pants in a twist over something that you personally cannot do anything about.
I believe there is a place under the sun (or maybe in your case in the snow as I know you do prefer that!) for anyone who has the will to chase one, so you should be okay!

Don’t feel bad for me Urbie.
I still have some hope.
And, you should not get your pants in a twist over something that you personally cannot do anything about.
I believe there is a place under the sun (or maybe in your case in the snow as I know you do prefer that!) for anyone who has the will to chase one, so you should be okay!

Thanks Gerrit, and it's often the people who know the one who is ill that feel the worst. This whole thing just dragged me down but I will keep my hopes up just like you do. If anything my weird Solo persona has been exposed and I don't mind it at all.

Maybe it is time even for someone like me to grow up?

Acid reflux is a scary thing and I had it overnight so I put some baking soda in water and drank some like I did when I had the throat issue. My basaliom cancer on the neck fell off today after the same treatment I used on Pilla. Had a look at the inside of it and it was full of spongey fungus like goo.

Like a rotten raisin, nice huh?

Yes, it is pretty tribal.
I have to say I can understand people really feeling disappointed and not liking his music from a certain point on.
Why exactly I still like him and his music is maybe a bit mysterious to me as well or at least to be argumentative about it is not convincing enough.

I loved and still love The Smiths and I don’t know why I just like all

Yes, it is pretty tribal.
I have to say I can understand people really feeling disappointed and not liking his music from a certain point on.
Why exactly I still like him and his music is maybe a bit mysterious to me as well or at least to be argumentative about it is not convincing enough.

I loved and still love The Smiths and I don’t know why I just like all Moz solo stuff and am not at all disappointed with his music after The Sniths.

I never saw The Smiths live so maybe I missed some of “that” magic and couldn’t be disappointed at all.

Viva Hate was and is as good imho as anything from The Smiths which convinced me more or less that Moz was the integral part of The Smiths which doesn’t say anything denigrating about Johnny Marr, (f***ing great guitarist!) or the other members.
All great musicians!

I think he is fascinating when he's brilliant and fascinating when he's rubbish. I can't think of any other artist like that.

I too missed The Smiths live (even though I'm well old enough to have seen them). Like you I feel a bit more detached from it all because of that. I'm not invested in the mythology.

And I do agree with you, Q; Johnny had extraordinary talent, but Moz had pixie-dust.

I think he is fascinating when he's brilliant and fascinating when he's rubbish. I can't think of any other artist like that.

I too missed The Smiths live (even though I'm well old enough to have seen them). Like you I feel a bit more detached from it all because of that. I'm not invested in the mythology.

And I do agree with you, Q; Johnny had extraordinary talent, but Moz had pixie-dust.
If I may contribute something here.
There are people here, and I dare not mention them by name lest I attract their ire, for whom Morrissey being a great artist (as I believe him to be) is not enough.
He has to be saint also.
I can see no problem in recognizing his genius and knowing he is a tosser.
Off the top of my head I can think of Miles Davis, Captain Beefheart and Frank Sinatra who were shits of the first water but greats none the less.

There are people here, and I dare not mention them by name lest I attract their ire, for whom Morrissey being a great artist (as I believe him to be) is not enough.
He has to be saint also.
Off the top of my head I can think of Miles Davis, Captain Beefheart and Frank Sinatra who were shits of the first water but greats none the less.

Haha, yes, well put Peter. I do wonder about the state of mind of people who cannot bear to contemplate that he might be an arse. Or might have written some crap songs. But I'm not here to pick fights with people, so each to their own, and all that.

There does seem to be a recurring link between utter shittiness of human character and genius. I do wonder if it's a sort of neurological re-distribution thing: they are exceptionally gifted in one area, which makes them deficient in another.

He has to be saint also.

I agree, some like to put him up on a pedestal, like some kinda 'saint' or 'hero', laughable. But in fact, he's shit, you're shit, I'm shit, WE'RE ALL SHIT. but some are shittier than others. :thumb:

I agree, some like to put him up on a pedestal, like some kinda 'saint' or 'hero', laughable. But in fact, he's shit, you're shit, I'm shit, WE'RE ALL SHIT. but some are shittier than others. :thumb:

Ketamine Sun won't you come and wash Solo away, Ketamine Sun won't you come won't you come (won't you come).

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
The world is holy! The soul is holy! The skin is holy! The nose is holy! The tongue and cock and hand and asshole holy!
Everything is holy! everybody’s holy! everywhere is holy! everyday is in eternity! Everyman’s an angel!
The bum’s as holy as the seraphim! the madman is holy as you my soul are holy!
The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!
Holy Peter holy Allen holy Solomon holy Lucien holy Kerouac holy Huncke holy Burroughs holy Cassady holy the unknown buggered and suffering beggars holy the hideous human angels!
Holy my mother in the insane asylum! Holy the cocks of the grandfathers of Kansas!
Holy the groaning saxophone! Holy the bop apocalypse! Holy the jazzbands marijuana hipsters peace peyote pipes & drums!
Holy the solitudes of skyscrapers and pavements! Holy the cafeterias filled with the millions! Holy the mysterious rivers of tears under the streets!
Holy the lone juggernaut! Holy the vast lamb of the middleclass! Holy the crazy shepherds of rebellion! Who digs Los Angeles IS Los Angeles!
Holy New York Holy San Francisco Holy Peoria & Seattle Holy Paris Holy Tangiers Holy Moscow Holy Istanbul!
Holy time in eternity holy eternity in time holy the clocks in space holy the fourth dimension holy the fifth International holy the Angel in Moloch!
Holy the sea holy the desert holy the railroad holy the locomotive holy the visions holy the hallucinations holy the miracles holy the eyeball holy the abyss!
Holy forgiveness! mercy! charity! faith! Holy! Ours! bodies! suffering! magnanimity!
Holy the supernatural extra brilliant intelligent kindness of the soul!

... Mr. Ginsberg told me such thing and leaded me to believe him.
So Holy Morrissey.
And Holy PeterB, and Holy Ketamine. :sweatdrops::anchor:

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
The world is holy! The soul is holy! The skin is holy! The nose is holy! The tongue and cock and hand and asshole holy!
Everything is holy! everybody’s holy! everywhere is holy! everyday is in eternity! Everyman’s an angel!
The bum’s as holy as the seraphim! the madman is holy as you my soul are holy!
The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!
Holy Peter holy Allen holy Solomon holy Lucien holy Kerouac holy Huncke holy Burroughs holy Cassady holy the unknown buggered and suffering beggars holy the hideous human angels!
Holy my mother in the insane asylum! Holy the cocks of the grandfathers of Kansas!
Holy the groaning saxophone! Holy the bop apocalypse! Holy the jazzbands marijuana hipsters peace peyote pipes & drums!
Holy the solitudes of skyscrapers and pavements! Holy the cafeterias filled with the millions! Holy the mysterious rivers of tears under the streets!
Holy the lone juggernaut! Holy the vast lamb of the middleclass! Holy the crazy shepherds of rebellion! Who digs Los Angeles IS Los Angeles!
Holy New York Holy San Francisco Holy Peoria & Seattle Holy Paris Holy Tangiers Holy Moscow Holy Istanbul!
Holy time in eternity holy eternity in time holy the clocks in space holy the fourth dimension holy the fifth International holy the Angel in Moloch!
Holy the sea holy the desert holy the railroad holy the locomotive holy the visions holy the hallucinations holy the miracles holy the eyeball holy the abyss!
Holy forgiveness! mercy! charity! faith! Holy! Ours! bodies! suffering! magnanimity!
Holy the supernatural extra brilliant intelligent kindness of the soul!

... Mr. Ginsberg told me such thing and leaded me to believe him.
So Holy Morrissey.
And Holy PeterB, and Holy Ketamine. :sweatdrops::anchor:

K-HOLY MOUNTAIN OF BABEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Quite a flurry of activity seemingly ignited by my use of the word 'saint'.
How very entertaining.

Last edited:
Quite a flurry of activity seemingly ignited by my use of the word 'saint'.
How very entertaining.

A proper ignition can turn a Saint into Shit and Shit into Holy Shit and Holy Shit into Holy Saint.
It's simply a matter of finding the right catalyst, as you seemingly did.

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." :babyangel:

A proper ignition can turn a Saint into Shit and Shit into Holy Shit and Holy Shit into Holy Saint.

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." :babyangel:

Oh My, you are on fire my friend.
Your latest posts make excellent reading and keep this site alive and interesting.
By the way, is that a Ginsberg poem you quoted with all the 'holy' s? Was it from 'Howl'?

Last edited:
There's no reason to assume you are. Unfortunately I am massively so.

Thanks Pablo Honey!
I know you never meant anything mean about the thread getting of topic.
Don’t ask me how I knew, I just sensed it.
Yes Quando, you're right. It was nothing more than just a simple statement. I am glad that you took it that way, as there are far too many people around that are ready to pounce at the slightest misstep. I always appreciated your level-headed views but most of all your kindness. Life is just too precious to be wasted fighting. The negativity it brings to your life is simply not worth the energy. I come here to read news about my hero, yet, I am met with people who are just the opposite of him. It really bogs me down and I have no intention to ruin any part of my day with gloom.

Be good to yourself.

Yes Quando, you're right. It was nothing more than just a simple statement. I am glad that you took it that way, as there are far too many people around that are ready to pounce at the slightest misstep. I always appreciated your level-headed views but most of all your kindness. Life is just too precious to be wasted fighting. The negativity it brings to your life is simply not worth the energy. I come here to read news about my hero, yet, I am met with people who are just the opposite of him. It really bogs me down and I have no intention to ruin any part of my day with gloom.

Be good to yourself.

Thank you so much Pablo!
I guess the word hero irritates a lot of people but I know what you mean.
As if when you like him as an artist or person, (is that even possible when you don’t know him personally?) you are deluded, insane and idolising him to much for their taste.

Forget it all, just enjoy the music.
He still is one of a kind. :thumb:

'...and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

"'till there was rock, you only had god" - Bowie

Not as dynamic and powerful as that A Lad Insane version/out take, but I also like the possibly weirder version which was originally a single as A-side. a little Threepenny Kurt Weill influence in the verses there... or not.

'...and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

"'till there was rock, you only had god" - Bowie

Not as dynamic and powerful as that A Lad Insane version/out take, but I also like the possibly weirder version which was originally a single as A-side. a little Threepenny Kurt Weill influence in the verses there... or not.

That Pirate Jean Genie!
How do you make me travel from Lotte Lenya to William Bennett and from Bennett to Brion Gysin? :bow:
Yes, the music of this other version sounds a lot like Weill... They must have caught the same spirit and Bowie made it become a a bit more like a rock version.

Oh, show me the way to the Ketamine Sun... and do not even ask why!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom