Irvine, CA - Bren Events Center (Nov. 4, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / All You Need Is Me / Speedway / Istanbul / Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice / Because Of My Poor Education / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / All The Lazy Dykes / What She Said / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Jack The Ripper / Good Looking Man About Town / Oboe Concerto // Judy Is A Punk

setlist provided by setlist.fm.

Last edited:
This is the 33rd time I have seen Morrissey and I must say with utter sadness that this is by far the worst show I have ever seen. I honestly feel ripped off by what I saw and heard. The set list was atrocious. My 11 year old son was with me and I felt so ashamed he had to sit through this setlist. I had hope that Morrissey's offerings would improve however I was greatly mistaken. Seriously, "Judy is a Punk" as the encore. What kind of rubbish is that? We sat for over 3/4 of the show. Truly disappointed. Truly, truly, truly.
f*** off then. I think it's time Morrissey stopped playing to all you spoiled Californians and entered the long-neglected territory - Canada. There are people here who are aching to see and hear him. What I can see from the few clips posted here he sung with passion, but the crowd could not be bothered. When you see that kind of response, wouldn't you want to get the f*** out of there and get your beer instead? Good looking man would have me want to plow through the crowd and invade the stage in maddened frenzy. The man gives his all to ungrateful fans. Pity.
My love and respect to Morrissey.

The setlist was identical to New Castle. Next time look closer. I'm sure tonight Boz - who actually writes up the setlist - will add HSIN and maybe Sunday. Those songs have all been played before. I went to all the palladium shows just so I can hear death of a disco dancer and it was only played twice of the five shows if I remember. That's typical - give the other songs a chance or not.
Judy is a Punk is the gem here, it's a cover and it's only been played a handful of times.
And all the songs you listed are, IMHO, the often played, overplayed symphonies.

I was quite aware of the setlist. HSIN, Fatty, Sunday, Alma, Killed me, and Oujia all omitted. I do not blame the crowd one bit for being bored. How in the world can you get into a show with Oboe, Bores, Ganglord, Education, Istanbul, World Peace, Kiss me, Judy, Murder. I knew what he's playing this tour and the omission of the above songs combined with what he sang was a receipe for a bad show. Moz took the energy completely out of the crowd. Everyone around me was asking what the he'll just happened with this show. I have two tickets to the Wednesday show for sale.

From the threads it seems that there was NO opening act? My wife and I strategic showed up at 9ish as the show started, planning on there being an opener. Can any of you devout Moz fans confirm? After reading so many critical reviews, I have my own, especially since I have seen him around 20 times over the years. The set list was definitely not that high energy, but the few "rockers" he played were fantastic, like Suedehead (nice opener!) and "What She Said"! My wife put things into perspective for me when I was expressing how bewildered I was about the setlist when she said, "I loved the songs he played because his voice sounded so good". This helped me realize that this selection of songs did really showcase his vocal talents, much more than a more "rocking" set could. With less noise, there was more voice! Some of my faves from the set, besides the ones mentioned above were "Paris", "Daddy's Voice", "Bullfighter", and "Far Off Places". The Ramones cover ("Judy is a Punk"?) for the encore was good, but even though it was a high energy song, that performance lacked dynamics and teeth in my opinion. I guess I fit in well here with my "critical" MOZ family! LOL. Venue was great and the sound quality on the floor was really good. As my wife said (She's 38 and new to our MOZ cult btw!), "it's great that he's so old, has such a big following without a record contract, and still has such a wonderful voice!" What else needs to be said? Croon on Moz! WE ADORE YOU!

Good looking man about town. Seems like he's bantering with the crowd just fine. Song sounds great

From the threads it seems that there was NO opening act? My wife and I strategic showed up at 9ish as the show started, planning on there being an opener. Can any of you devout Moz fans confirm? After reading so many critical reviews, I have my own, especially since I have seen him around 20 times over the years. The set list was definitely not that high energy, but the few "rockers" he played were fantastic, like Suedehead (nice opener!) and "What She Said"! My wife put things into perspective for me when I was expressing how bewildered I was about the setlist when she said, "I loved the songs he played because his voice sounded so good". This helped me realize that this selection of songs did really showcase his vocal talents, much more than a more "rocking" set could. With less noise, there was more voice! Some of my faves from the set, besides the ones mentioned above were "Paris", "Daddy's Voice", "Bullfighter", and "Far Off Places". The Ramones cover ("Judy is a Punk"?) for the encore was good, but even though it was a high energy song, that performance lacked dynamics and teeth in my opinion. I guess I fit in well here with my "critical" MOZ family! LOL. Venue was great and the sound quality on the floor was really good. As my wife said (She's 38 and new to our MOZ cult btw!), "it's great that he's so old, has such a big following without a record contract, and still has such a wonderful voice!" What else needs to be said? Croon on Moz! WE ADORE YOU!
I don't think he would like to hear HE IS THAT OLD. Nobody would.

All you missed were the bits in between the songs where people are pissing and moaning about the songs he played.

I was in the upper area to the left, everyone was standing for a long while, but after several slower songs, I saw the complaining begin. People began to sit and stay seated until a song they liked came on. Saw several bewildered looks. I think they were unfamiliar with a lot of the more recent songs. That, and they were too busy eating shitty nachos and popcorn from the concession stand like they were at an AMC movie theater.

COLIN N.

I have been to hundreds concert in my life and this is by far the worst concert I've ever seen!! Morrisey is extremely talented and has a ton of really good songs that his fans would love to hear.
So he opens with Suedehead and you think this is going to be great, then he proceeds to play one obscure song after another. All to get his political views across to everyone. Not to mention we had to endure the extremely graphic videos of animal and police brutality. What a selfish bastard, we pay are hard earned money to be entertained and he comes out on stage like he's running for office and puts all his fans through that shit!!!

Not to mention the 30 minute video prior to him coming out on stage was just a bunch of bullshit. He was probably backstage laughing while we had to put up with that ridiculous crap.

This is coming from a big fan of The Smiths and Morrisey. If you haven't bought tickets to this concert yet save your money as even the biggest fans will be disappointed with this debacle!

It truly seemed like Morrisey was just trying to purposely trying to put on the worst show he possibly could. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Complete waste of time and money, Morrisey you should be ashamed of yourself. You are a severely depressed human being who just wants to bring everyone else down with you.

You could have just as easily played 15 to 20 of you great songs and made everyone happy but you would rather play videos of animal cruelty and police brutality instead. I was at this concert with my buddy who is an LAPD officer who's risks his life daily to keep murderers off the streets of LA and make our streets safer to walk down. He was so offended by your video that he walked out of the concert during that video. I hope you read these comments Morrisey, so you can realize how offensive your political agenda is.

You should keep politics and entertainment separate, your fans want to hear your music period!

I'll never listen to one of your songs again! You should refund everyone's money because you ripped us all off!

I guess that somes up the worst concert of my life.

I was so excited to see Morrissey. Boy do I feel dumb because I HATED it tonight. I wanted to hear the songs we all remember and put j on the map. Tonight I dont know what the hell that was. We actually ended up leaving because we were so over his political view narcissistic attitude. Geez thank you for disappointing fans. Why else do you think the crowd wasn't into it. The beer line had more action. I understand he has views and opinions but I wasn't paying to have his shoved down my throat. Lastly buy a watch and respect your fans by being ON TIME.
So glad I didn't waste my money for floor level
Casual "FAN" alert!! What real fan cares about fetching beer while MOZ is on stage.

This show SUCKED. He has nothing new to say and his music SUCKED. He still has a good voice especially for his advanced age. He is not relevant today. He is the artist formerly known as Morrissey. If you are a Smiths fan or a fan of his first two albums stay away his new music will turn your stomach and change the way you feel about him as a person. I want my money and time back. I really want him to do well but its obvious why he has no record contract. The audience at the show was not enthusiastic because the show was bad and it reflected in the audience.

Whoops and sorry. Here's the video I intended to post. Must still have had the photos I posted earlier copied. My bad.

This show SUCKED. He has nothing new to say and his music SUCKED. He still has a good voice especially for his advanced age. He is not relevant today. He is the artist formerly known as Morrissey. If you are a Smiths fan or a fan of his first two albums stay away his new music will turn your stomach and change the way you feel about him as a person. I want my money and time back. I really want him to do well but its obvious why he has no record contract. The audience at the show was not enthusiastic because the show was bad and it reflected in the audience.

:lbf:

So you haven't listened to anything since Kill Uncle then?

The truth hurts. The only people who thought this show was even OK were the fanatics that are in love with an image time is showing through. Soon no one will show up to his shows if he keeps this up.

I can understand the complaining about the set list by those who wanted a career spanning "greatest-hits" setlist. I love those old songs I rushed to the record store , especially to hear the B-sides!

I also understand the sentiment towards casual fans from the die-hards. Morrissey has made some great records this century, too. I was amazed to realize that You Have Killed Me is already 10 years old!

Here's the thing though...If Morrissey plays too obscure of a set list, and the word gets around, the casual crowd won't come. If they don't come, then he doesn't play shows. I doubt Morrissey builds a tour around 500 seat venues, unless he sticks to just LA area shows.

So, the two groups, the casuals and the die-hards, need to push for a balanced setlist of Smiths/pre-2004 (Quarry) Morrissey/Current Morrissey. Otherwise, the shows are going to go away.

As abhorrent as it will seem to some on this board, U2 gets this correct. Their recent tour's setlist was front loaded with a mix of current songs and the real oldies. Then the 2nd half contained the greatest hits. Morrissey could do the same, mixing six oldies with eight new songs, take a short break, and come back with six solid songs everyone knows. Then, if he ends with "Judy Is a Punk" it's a great cover to end it all; not the expense of leaving out "First of the Gang..." or "Tomorrow."

(I started to make a mock setlist ...damn he has a lot of songs! Even a "just b-sides" setlist would be pretty great.)

So as an example (leaving out equipment issues for the band - Alas, I can't do all of Morrissey's work for him.):

Suedehead (or I Don't Mind If You Forget Me)
All You Need Is Me
Speedway (or Hold Onto Friends)
Istanbul
What She Said (or Is It Really So Strange-type era)
Throwing My Arms
Because of My Poor Education
There's a Place In Hell...
Oboe Concerto (or World Peace Is None of Your...)
Cosmic Dancer (or some other B-side/cover)
Good-Looking Man About Town
My Love Life
World Is Full of Crashing Bores
Headmaster Ritual (or some up tempo Smith's song)

-- break --
Meat Is Murder
You're the One For Me...(or some Arsenal classic)
You Have Killed Me
Irish Blood, English Heart
First of the Gang to Die (or More You Ignore Me)
Now My Heart Is Full (definitely end on a big Morrissey ballad)

-- break--
Judy Is a Punk

I think it's a direction a Morrissey setlist could go that would be balanced for those who like the new songs, while also letting the casual fan enjoy the show, too. With enough switching, there'd be reason to see two, maybe three shows in a big city (LA, NY, SF, SD, Chicago, Boston), and that would mean bigger venue$ for Morrissey. And that means more shows for us, the fans, both casual and die hard.

I am also aware it won't happen. A boy can dream...

The setlist was identical to New Castle. Next time look closer. I'm sure tonight Boz - who actually writes up the setlist - will add HSIN and maybe Sunday. Those songs have all been played before. I went to all the palladium shows just so I can hear death of a disco dancer and it was only played twice of the five shows if I remember. That's typical - give the other songs a chance or not.
Judy is a Punk is the gem here, it's a cover and it's only been played a handful of times.
And all the songs you listed are, IMHO, the often played, overplayed symphonies.

Would like to hear " The Overplayed Symphonies.
With lyric change.

Dead crowd quite. Morrissey was awesome. Except he changed his shirt sang Judy is punk said "chow" and walked off stage?!???! No shirt throw?????

"Chow" would intimate that he's on his way to a late dinner.

"Ciao" would mean he's saying "bye!"

This is coming from a big fan of The Smiths and Morrisey

If this is the case then why are the songs in the set obscure to you? Funny how that guy in Newcastle enjoyed the show even though he knew not a single song. I guess the attitude of the listener plays a big part too.

Does any one know the poem that was iterated in the pre-show ? The only thing I remember about it is it said
"my hope die in slow will not adore my hopes lying quite will not carry your name to a abdomen shore." Please help, I'm looking everywhere ,I can't find it .

Anne Sexton. xxx

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom