Irvine, CA - Bren Events Center (Nov. 4, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / All You Need Is Me / Speedway / Istanbul / Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice / Because Of My Poor Education / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / All The Lazy Dykes / What She Said / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Jack The Ripper / Good Looking Man About Town / Oboe Concerto // Judy Is A Punk

setlist provided by setlist.fm.

Last edited:
Just an opinion, I will go to all UK shows, might not have a choice in the matter anyhow. Sure people will agree that Morrissey does have off nights, also some venues are better than others.
Yeah it's definitely possible for any artist to have a bad show, even Morrissey. I just haven't seen one yet and hope I don't. The venue is a huge factor and spectacular venues are few and far between.

This show was in stark contrast to Newcastle. The venue was seated and people were in their seats but as soon as Morrissey came out everyone stood up and that was the last of theirs seats usefulness. I could tell most people were unfamiliar with the recent songs but they seemed to still enjoy them immensely. No one was eating. Who eats food during a gig?

Right? I had to sit next to nauseating liquid faux-cheese and beer breath fumes in the air. Snacks at a concert is just bizarre.

Some of the comments on here are really terrible and it's sad. As fans, we know a few things: a) Moz has off nights from time to time b) Moz performs the songs of his choosing, and it is very easy to find out what the setlist was likely to be based on previous shows of late; and c) Moz has his passionate political views and isn't afraid to share them. I think all of that is not unexpected.

This thread is interesting. There have plenty of shows where the set list was either perceived as dull or people were upset that it was stagnant. And those threads got no where near the action this one has gotten.

You people are on fire. RELAX. It's a concert. Performed by a human being. Where have all you contributors to this thread, that have the hate, been for the last decade???

Even if the set list could have been better, maybe Moz just had a bad night. It's his occupation. Have you never had a bad day at work? It happens. It's called life.

That being said, since there seems to be some Swords material creeping in the set lists lately, how fitting would it be if he played 'If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me' at your next Irvine gig.

Your Arsenal didn't do so well commercially? Not sure about that.

Morrissey lost fans with Kill Uncle and Grunge was on the rise. MTV didnt play much of Kill Uncle, but they did play ignore and tomorrow in a sporadic rotation for a bit. Even NME had turned against Morrissey and was bashing him regularly. Having said that... It was and is my favorite album. Maybe it was different where you live...but here...many people I knew had turned away from Morrissey before Arsenal came out and Grunge was in.

This thread is interesting. There have plenty of shows where the set list was either perceived as dull or people were upset that it was stagnant. And those threads got no where near the action this one has gotten.

You people are on fire. RELAX. It's a concert. Performed by a human being. Where have all you contributors to this thread, that have the hate, been for the last decade???

Even if the set list could have been better, maybe Moz just had a bad night. It's his occupation. Have you never had a bad day at work? It happens. It's called life.

That being said, since there seems to be some Swords material creeping in the set lists lately, how fitting would it be if he played 'If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me' at your next Irvine gig.

Might also just be a few people very pissed off. From the videos I posted I wouldn't have noticed a dead crowd. Cheering and people shouting out to with morrissey responding to a couple. One guy clearly singing along to daddy's voice

You miss the point - crowd was dead because they didn't know his music. If you know the music you sing along, you associate it to a good time. If you don't, then the show sucks. One or two unknown songs are usually tolerated, but if you greatest hits seeking fans only know 5 of the 21 songs he played, well yes it's going to suck. And you can't use the excuse that it's new music since, it's not.

They could have played songs like, unloveable, reel around the fountain, asleep, and kept the tempo low and people would sing along. Then it would have been a great show for all of you who haven't seem to be bothered to give his new music a chance.
Be honest - do you even own Swords? I would have killed for songs like Drag the River from World Peace or Friday Mourning from Swords.

I was only going to catch one show, but now I will grab tickets for the 9th, hopefully at a discount.

As far as who he's playing to, that's his choice! He doesn't owe me anything - I paid to see Morrissey do what he does.

Even if you never heard Suedehead before in your life, you can dance to it. There are about 10 songs in the middle there that you can enjoy and sing along to.....but like I said....they dont promote gyrating or celebration or concert atmosphere. It is stand and listen music. An average slow song doesnt do much energy wise. An average energy song you can still dance to or jump to or tap your foot.

Yes I own swords, and every album and compilation album and maybe 7 concert cd's, and maybe 95%+ of his singles...making swords unnecessary because I buy the singles. Call me casual and ask if I own a compilation album. Do you own all the singles with those B-sides???? (or do you just download them?) If you don't own them does that make you the casual fan? DO you own all his back albums and singles? Do you own all the Smiths singles. I have Work is a four letter word that I bought like 30 years ago....and I see "true fans" asking what the heck that even is. Does a "true fan" love every single thing about Morrissey and think he does no wrong...ever? Face it...the set list might be good Morrissey songs (or average or bad)...but many of them are bad concert songs. Did it irritate you when he played what she said and Meat is Murder? and Suedehead? and Speedway? Because c'mon...us true fans only want new stuff that you can stand still and listen to. Either one person is wrong or several thousand are wrong.

Morrissey lost fans with Kill Uncle and Grunge was on the rise. MTV didnt play much of Kill Uncle, but they did play ignore and tomorrow in a sporadic rotation for a bit. Even NME had turned against Morrissey and was bashing him regularly. Having said that... It was and is my favorite album. Maybe it was different where you live...but here...many people I knew had turned away from Morrissey before Arsenal came out and Grunge was in.

Your Arsenal sold very well in both the U.K. and America. The Grammy nomination helped of course. Them's the facts.

Obviously sounds like an off night for Moz, but he is hit and miss, for anyone who has seen him 10 times or over, their will be below par performances, or cancellations. I was at Liverpool for the 6 minute gig, real disappointment, his fault, dunno? Also the Manchester show in 2012 was not too good, but two days later in Edinburgh he was fantastic. Ive said I am not going again, but I always end up going, expect the next show to be a blinder!

This shows how subjective it can be . The Manchester show was brilliant , it was the Edinburgh show that was bad .
Last night however was just terrible by anyones standards . He started well , was in good voice but he just lost interest . Lots of us long term fans who do know the new songs were still disappointed. No moz magic was present it was like a soundcheck .
I understand he is hit and miss but this was just one of his worse performances . His mistake was the venue it was soulless , the crowd the venue and setlist just didn't gel .
The choice of set list was bad . It just didn't flow By the way why should people have to check to see what his set list is ? He should play interesting gigs .
If moz wants to sing boring setlists in a school gymnasium it's up to him, but it's no wonder , in general, the world has lost interest

I just read positive stuff on social media regarding this show. These people apparently don't post here to share their opinion. I assume the negativity in this thread comes from the same 2 people :crazy:

This shows how subjective it can be . The Manchester show was brilliant , it was the Edinburgh show that was bad .
Last night however was just terrible by anyones standards . He started well , was in good voice but he just lost interest . Lots of us long term fans who do know the new songs were still disappointed. No moz magic was present it was like a soundcheck .
I understand he is hit and miss but this was just one of his worse performances . His mistake was the venue it was soulless , the crowd the venue and setlist just didn't gel .
The choice of set list was bad . It just didn't flow By the way why should people have to check to see what his set list is ? He should play interesting gigs .
If moz wants to sing boring setlists in a school gymnasium it's up to him, but it's no wonder , in general, the world has lost interest

" By the way why should people have to check to see what his set list is ? He should play interesting gigs ."

You don't have to check but interesting gigs consists of songs.
Songs you might like or not. So you have a reasonable impression of what to expect.
It could be you want to be surprised and exited by something that is not possible at the moment,
That unconsciously, your expectations were so high that they could not be satisfied. He is just a human being, you know.

There are all different kind of fans.
I would be delighted if he did more of the b-sides and relative more obscure songs. And I would be delighted if he has some new songs and doing them live for the first time.
But I know there are many fans wanting him to do his most well-known songs and more Smiths songs.
He knows that too. But as he said, I do whatever the hell I want to do.

I think the point is, that there is no excuse really at this stage for some people assuming (as they did earlier in this thread) that he would be mostly playing songs from 1991 and earlier. He has now been touring solo for 25 years and it has never been a nostalgia show.

You're speaking for the whole world now? Count me out then.

So you reckon the Edinburgh Usher Hall gig in 2012 was bad, Ive gotta disagree with that, did you actually go?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom