Is Coronavirus as serious as they say?

Tesco too. I have a disabling illness so I'm reliant on it at the best of times. At the moment I've been able to get something for 3 out of the next 4 weeks, but the 1st week in April there is nothing. If this keeps up, I'm a bit screwed. Think they need to find some way of prioritising people in genuine need, rather than people who'd just rather not go to the store. I have a gut feeling the people who are buying up all the slots are related to the people buying 17 packets of toilet roll, and sod the rest of you.

Peppy mint :(

I think we're going to be moving towards a time where people in your situation will be prioritised soon, I hope we get on with it for your sake. Some of the shops are making a move in the right direction, I hope it won't be too long until they start limiting the majority of deliveries to the right people.

Don't you have anyone (family) who can get you stuff from Tesco's? Or have you thought about joining another store delivery scheme such as ASDA, Morrison's or whatever's available near you? Might be a way around your dilemma, but I suspect they may have similar issues.
Actually, that's a great idea, Mozmar. I have just managed to bag a delivery slot for the week I'm missing. :thumb: Didn't think of Asda as we don't have one in the immediate neighbourhood. I tend to stick with Tesco as I have a Delivery Saver thing with them that works out really cheap, but if I can fill in the gaps with Asda I might just manage. They seemed to have quite a few more slots still available, compared to Tesco.

Actually, that's a great idea, Mozmar. I have just managed to bag a delivery slot for the week I'm missing. :thumb: Didn't think of Asda as we don't have one in the immediate neighbourhood. I tend to stick with Tesco as I have a Delivery Saver thing with them that works out really cheap, but if I can fill in the gaps with Asda I might just manage. They seemed to have quite a few more slots still available, compared to Tesco.

Sorted. :thumb:

Peppy mint :(

I think we're going to be moving towards a time where people in your situation will be prioritised soon, I hope we get on with it for your sake. Some of the shops are making a move in the right direction, I hope it won't be too long until they start limiting the majority of deliveries to the right people.
Thanks Lionsy, I hope so. I get the prioritising of the elderly, which I totally agree with, and obviously the people who are infected/ill, but there are others out there too! I think all the big chains are urgently recruiting more drivers, so perhaps there will be a few more slots freed up.

Did you have to sign up to an asda delivery pass type of thing, or can you just do one-offs?

Did you have to sign up to an asda delivery pass type of thing, or can you just do one-offs?
I'm just doing a one-off. I'm guessing that's okay, I didn't see anything saying I couldn't. I don't want to commit to another store's scheme because I'm already paying a monthly charge to Tesco.

I'm just doing a one-off. I'm guessing that's okay, I didn't see anything saying I couldn't. I don't want to commit to another store's scheme because I'm already paying a monthly charge to Tesco.

I'll take a look...however, just had a laugh to myself, here we are on a music legend's (supposed) fan-site, discussing effing shopping strategies...couldn't get any more bizarre...waifs & strays.

Had a check, no delivery slots at local Asda until April. Grim state of affairs. Some click & collects though.

Tesco too. I have a disabling illness so I'm reliant on it at the best of times. At the moment I've been able to get something for 3 out of the next 4 weeks, but the 1st week in April there is nothing. If this keeps up, I'm a bit screwed. Think they need to find some way of prioritising people in genuine need, rather than people who'd just rather not go to the store. I have a gut feeling the people who are buying up all the slots are related to the people buying 17 packets of toilet roll, and sod the rest of you.
if i was there i'd shop for you, pep pep!!

Found this painful to watch, but a nurse in tears in her car as she finds food shelves are stripped of food...after her 48 hour hospital shift.
Sad reflection of the selfish "me me me" society we live in. Supermarkets have got to manage & control things much better than they are.
Nurses despair & plea to others

XXI century. Different worlds. We hide in homes to limit the virus that has killed 10,000 people worldwide since the beginning of the epidemic. We buy food for a month, we have pasta and toilet paper for a rainy day. And ten thousand kilometers away, 25,000 people die of hunger every day...

So in the UK, National Trust closing down its parks etc, MacDonald's et al closing all outlets, certain age groups getting letters/texts instructing them to self-isolate, major shopping queuing in the likes of Tesco's (people still not observing social distancing), shortage of loo roll/kitchen roll, stocks of alcohol in short supply (owing to pub closures) and limitations on the number of items you can buy, pubs/cafe's/restaurants closed, home delivery schemes & JIT in tatters, and people needing to go to stores, & rumours of full lock downs being imminent.

Yet at this time, some schools have opened to allow children of key workers to attend school; delivered & handed over to school by their parents, some of whom may well be NHS staff, who work in hospitals, & who, based on information in the news, & from a senior NHS consultant (featured on the Marr show yesterday, & contrary to government information), have little, or inadequate, effective protection from the public, some of whom are in hospital being treated for corona virus.

This therefore results in putting teachers in the front line effectively & at risk...some school staff off work already & in self-isolation. Schools have no effective protection measures in place at all, apart from 'hand-washing'. At the end of the day the teachers go home to their own families, therefore putting those people at risk. Rinse & repeat the next day.

Does the idea make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
So in the UK, National Trust closing down its parks etc, MacDonald's et al closing all outlets (UK), certain age groups getting letters/texts instructing them to self-isolate, major shopping queuing in the likes of Tesco's (people still not observing social distancing), shortage of loo roll/kitchen roll, stocks of alcohol in short supply (owing to pub closures) and limitations on the number of items you can buy, pubs/cafe's/restaurants closed, home delivery schemes & JIT in tatters, and people needing to go to stores, & rumours of full lock downs being imminent.

Yet at this time, some schools have opened to allow children of key workers to attend school; delivered & handed over to school by their parents, some of whom may well be NHS staff, who work in hospitals, & who, based on information in the news, & from a senior NHS consultant (featured on the Marr show yesterday, & contrary to government information), have little, or inadequate, effective protection from the public, some of whom are in hospital being treated for corona virus.

This therefore results in putting teachers in the front line effectively & at risk...some school staff off work already & in self-isolation. Schools have no effective protection measures in place at all, apart from 'hand-washing'. At the end of the day the teachers go home to their own families, therefore putting those people at risk. Rinse & repeat the next day.

It's a real conundrum though, if the kids of key workers don't go to school, we end up with fewer nurses/doctors in hospitals, fewer delivery drivers for re stocking supermarkets etc. My wife's a teacher and she is working today but there are only 80 kids in, when there are normally over a 1000.

So in the UK, National Trust closing down its parks etc, MacDonald's et al closing all outlets, certain age groups getting letters/texts instructing them to self-isolate, major shopping queuing in the likes of Tesco's (people still not observing social distancing), shortage of loo roll/kitchen roll, stocks of alcohol in short supply (owing to pub closures) and limitations on the number of items you can buy, pubs/cafe's/restaurants closed, home delivery schemes & JIT in tatters, and people needing to go to stores, & rumours of full lock downs being imminent.

Yeah, I'm with @Surface on that, Mozmar. There are no easy answers - if there is no provision made, many of those kids are going to be dumped on grandparents, putting even more vulnerable people at risk of hospitalisation.

I think the 'me first' culture needs to be stamped on hard, though. Those locusts stripping the supermarket shelves during times meant for the NHS and elderly should hang their heads. I don't like draconian 'nanny state' interventions but something needs to be put in place if they can't behave. My lovely Tesco delivery driver - who phoned me yesterday to alert me before dropping all my shopping in bags outside the front door - said there may be some freed up delivery slots appearing, because they've become aware that some people are booking with more than one supermarket at a time to cover themselves. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom