Is Coronavirus as serious as they say?

At the moment, I'm finding the British publics general shrugging of shoulders at each new shifting of the goalposts really scary and offensive. More scary than covid, is the way the relationship between state and populous has changed. As Ian Duncan Smith said 'The thing about the loss of freedom is that you don't realise you've lost it until that day when you need to exercise it'

@Radis Noir

This is the best article about GB News.

There’s a moment during the first Monday night of GB News’s programming when its chairman, the former BBC broadcaster Andrew Neil, finds himself staring into the abyss. The Abyss’s name is Dan Wootton, and the Abyss is very pleased with himself. He’s cheerfully telling Neil about his fact-free lockdown scepticism, and Neil, who is still wedded to logic, looks worried that his career is in a burning clown car.

GB News is basically a beacon of positivity about Britain that’s simultaneously deeply suspicious about fellow Britons, who they think want to vaccinate them against their will and teach them French.

It doesn’t take long for Wootton to go full wingnut. On Tuesday he highlights a baseless conspiracy theory about how lockdowns might ultimately be a government plot to curb carbon emissions. Does he have facts to back this up? No. But he’s the type of journalist who doesn’t need facts. He prefers to ask questions. You know, like your four-year-old: What is a dog? Why is the moon? Are spiders happy? Is Isis funding the BBC?

@Radis Noir

This is the best article about GB News.

There’s a moment during the first Monday night of GB News’s programming when its chairman, the former BBC broadcaster Andrew Neil, finds himself staring into the abyss. The Abyss’s name is Dan Wootton, and the Abyss is very pleased with himself. He’s cheerfully telling Neil about his fact-free lockdown scepticism, and Neil, who is still wedded to logic, looks worried that his career is in a burning clown car.

GB News is basically a beacon of positivity about Britain that’s simultaneously deeply suspicious about fellow Britons, who they think want to vaccinate them against their will and teach them French.

It doesn’t take long for Wootton to go full wingnut. On Tuesday he highlights a baseless conspiracy theory about how lockdowns might ultimately be a government plot to curb carbon emissions. Does he have facts to back this up? No. But he’s the type of journalist who doesn’t need facts. He prefers to ask questions. You know, like your four-year-old: What is a dog? Why is the moon? Are spiders happy? Is Isis funding the BBC?

Thanks, will give it a read. I've been following @GBNewsFails on Twitter for laughs.
https://twitter.com/GBNewsFails

The horse has now well and truly bolted, nevertheless there is a reasonably interesting article in today’s Telegraph which is noting the new buoyant mood, and (well-founded) arrogance of our masters.

‘“We commit to beating Covid-19 everywhere and building back better for all,” began the 14,000 words of guff which made up last week’s G7 communique. Those last two words are a blatant lie. There is no ‘for all’ about the society that our leaders are building in the wake of Covid. Rather it is one in which the gap between the powerful and people over whom they wield their power is growing wider than it has been for decades.’

As the Labour Party is effectively dead now I’m wondering why—in the moment it has nothing to lose—it can’t muster up the strength to make a meaningful critique of the government (some last gasp effort, so people might at least see things worth stealing from its grave): It seems fair to start suspecting it has been in an unofficial coalition with the Tories throughout the Covid period, and sealed its sorry fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The horse has now well and truly bolted, nevertheless there is a reasonably interesting article in today’s Telegraph which is noting the new buoyant mood, and (well-founded) arrogance of our masters.

‘“We commit to beating Covid-19 everywhere and building back better for all,” began the 14,000 words of guff which made up last week’s G7 communique. Those last two words are a blatant lie. There is no ‘for all’ about the society that our leaders are building in the wake of Covid. Rather it is one in which the gap between the powerful and people over whom they wield their power is growing wider than it has been for decades.’

As the party is effectively dead now I’m wondering why—in the moment it has nothing to lose—it can’t muster up the strength to make a meaningful critique of the government: It seems fair to suspect it has been in an unofficial coalition with the Tories throughout the Covid period.

We are critiquing it - but our problem is the government should be doing what it claims to have done (proper lockdown, faster vaccinations, better furlough scheme) & we can't get that message past the anti-vaxx lockdown sceptics who help Boris by making every conversation very loud codswallap.

We are critiquing it - but our problem is the government should be doing what it claims to have done (proper lockdown, faster vaccinations, better furlough scheme) & we can't get that message past the anti-vaxx lockdown sceptics who help Boris by making every conversation very loud codswallap.
Not seen much of the Labour party since March 2020...are they still the shadow party, or is that with the Lib Dems these days?

Not seen much of the Labour party since March 2020...are they still the shadow party, or is that with the Lib Dems these days?
Well, exactly.

I voted Green at the last elections: first time ever in my life I didn’t vote Labour.

I’m not sure that an opposition that says the lockdown hasn’t been draconian enough is going to fly. In fact, I’m sure it isn’t.

Back
Top Bottom