Is Morrissey on a self-sabotage mission?

Look, I believe myself to be a fiercely loyal Morrissey fan. Have been following since the very early days, 30+ years, so I hope you understand that there is no rotten hidden agenda here.
Now let me spell this out to you, posting statements on his 'official' website that for all intents and purposes appear to indicate that he's thinking about # 1 chart positions in connection with an incident that has left 130 innocent people dead, it's just in bad taste, it's beneath him, he is better than that.
Posts such as the one I mention, and this is just one of several recent examples, is bound to alienate people, many people, even some of his most ardent defenders and loyal fans.
That is the point I was trying to address.

Why do people always say "I am a fan for 30+ years" to make a point? So, do you know him better because of it? Just asking. Because, infact, in terms of really knowing the man it makes no difference if you are a fan for 10+ or 30+ years ...

Not only has Morrissey alienated most (if not all) of the people inside the music industry, but his last record didn't sell at all well, and his book was the most universally reviled "literary" offering of the year (if not the decade). He's become a laughing-stock who has burned every bridge. As a result he finds himself backed into a very dark corner, he's increasingly desperate, and desperation makes for very poor judgement.

As much as people loathe Morrissey, the most damning words against him have always come from his own mouth (or his own keyboard). I was hoping that there would be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel but after his Paris tantrum, it all looks pitch black. Truly a personal and professional low.

His talent, however, is still astounding. He's still the greatest singer I've ever heard. He spent decades spinning great beauty from great sickness. He made countless people very, very happy, changed (and even saved) many lives and inspired generations of creative types to do their own great work. He connected with so many people on the most intimate, emotional level, and he was rewarded with the most intense adoration any artist has ever squandered. No one can summon such empathy out of thin air - there has to be goodness buried deep down in there, somewhere.

Good God, I can't say it enough "some Morrissey fans are the biggest drama queens on the planet". Honestly. Nobody knows him personally. Nobody has spent a split second with him or talked to him. We know NOTHING. Apart from that an "intense adoration" isn't always something beautiful. I can't imagine it's something easy to deal with but of course everyone on here knows it better, but we will NEVER be able to understand how it feels. And therefore everybody who tries to ridicule it, is nothing but pretentious in my world. To sit in front of the computer and constantly say "It should be done like this" or "It should be done like that" is easy in comparison.

I think he has always had an element of self-destruction about him ("I know what's expected of me now, veering cliffwards..."). HOWEVER, I think the main problem is that since 1988 he has been surrounded only by his mum, paid Yes-Men and parasitic cling-ons, who feed his narcissism by giving him nothing but praise, obeying his every whim, and convincing him that everything he does is genius. I think being cocooned in that fashion would f*** most people up, even if they didn't have a massive narcissistic streak to begin with.

Morrissey is used to demanding things, and they happen. Instantly and without question. He can't quite work out why when he steps outside his inner circle, and experiences things like record company bosses, they don't all jump at his command. I think he genuinely believes that he is the most important artist, nay, human being, on the planet. This fuels a way of acting like an egotistical prick, which in tern alienates him from people who would otherwise help him.

I don't think it's a deliberate act of self-sabotage, just an unfortunate effect of his narcissistic/victim mentality, and having enough money not to engage with reality as we understand it.

Again, these statements are gross in the extreme. You NEVER were are part of his "inner circle". You don't KNOW one person from his "inner circle". You don't KNOW his family, his friends and so on. You know NOTHING. And I find the fact that everyone around him is judged so brutally even more offensive than the constant judgement of Moz. Many of those people aren't even in the business. They don't deserve this judgement.

Why do people always say "I am a fan for 30+ years" to make a point? So, do you know him better because of it? Just asking. Because, infact, in terms of really knowing the man it makes no difference if you are a fan for 10+ or 30+ years ...

There was nothing there indicating any claim to "know him." Their point, if you hadn't edited it out, was in the same sentence you quoted - "Have been following since the very early days, 30+ years, so I hope you understand that there is no rotten hidden agenda here."

I don't know why people say it in general, I mentioned it because I think it provides context to the point I am making in that sentence, which is that I have been following a long long time and have seen several ups and downs and there has been ample opportunity during that time to abandon ship and move on.
I haven't and I won't, even if at times I don't like or don't agree with what Moz has to say.
And no, I don't know the man any more than someone who has been a fan for 5 minutes. I've never met him, so how could I? I never said I did though.

He will never release another album which is really sad as I thought his last body of work was amongst his strongest.

So, I would understand you, who thinks that the last album was great, to feel sad about the current state of affairs in Morrissey-land, BUT I don't understand all the luminaries who hang around here and say for years that he is done and that they hate everything he does personally and professionally. Why would THEY care? I assume just for the fun to piss on people.

I don't know why people say it in general, I mentioned it because I think it provides context to the point I am making in that sentence, which is that I have been following a long long time and have seen several ups and downs and there has been ample opportunity during that time to abandon ship and move on.
I haven't and I won't, even if at times I don't like or don't agree with what Moz has to say.
And no, I don't know the man any more than someone who has been a fan for 5 minutes. I've never met him, so how could I? I never said I did though.

Thank you for answering without attacking. It's rare.

Thank you for answering without attacking. It's rare.

It sure is, because you post so much shit here. Every single thread you're all over it, making stuff up and talking bollocks, trying to shove others down the board, and flooding the place with blinkered bollocks as part of a crusade. As soon as the IP hash "b3a3c31bf4" is seen, you may as well leave your rationality at the door.

It sure is, because you post so much shit here. Every single thread you're all over it, making stuff up and talking bollocks, trying to shove others down the board, and flooding the place with blinkered bollocks as part of a crusade. As soon as the IP hash "b3a3c31bf4" is seen, you may as well leave your rationality at the door.

This website's policy allows anonomys posts. So, there you go. YOU create us, YOU have to live with us. That's life.

Not only has Morrissey alienated most (if not all) of the people inside the music industry, but his last record didn't sell at all well, and his book was the most universally reviled "literary" offering of the year (if not the decade). He's become a laughing-stock who has burned every bridge. As a result he finds himself backed into a very dark corner, he's increasingly desperate, and desperation makes for very poor judgement.

As much as people loathe Morrissey, the most damning words against him have always come from his own mouth (or his own keyboard). I was hoping that there would be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel but after his Paris tantrum, it all looks pitch black. Truly a personal and professional low.

His talent, however, is still astounding. He's still the greatest singer I've ever heard. He spent decades spinning great beauty from great sickness. He made countless people very, very happy, changed (and even saved) many lives and inspired generations of creative types to do their own great work. He connected with so many people on the most intimate, emotional level, and he was rewarded with the most intense adoration any artist has ever squandered. No one can summon such empathy out of thin air - there has to be goodness buried deep down in there, somewhere.

i disagree about your last paragraph. I think that you aren't fan or know other many other artists, because there are other artists who are rewarded with an even greater adoration than Morrissey, the biggest and clearest example is Michael Jackson. Like just watch any concert of him or even when he was a store buying something. Morrissey's adoration is nothing compared with the craziness that michael jackson had in people. and i'm not even a big mj fan

Morrissey is sabotaging his career with such panache and flair, even his worst enemy couldn't do it any better. He is his own worst enemy, and he has absolutely no-one to restrain him from constantly shooting himself in the foot. On one level it's sad, as he is (or was) a great artist, but this is exactly the life and level of control he always wanted. He is unmanageable, and has no friends or colleagues who dare to stand up to him and challenge his views and actions, because anyone who offers anything beyond blind servitude is immediately dumped under the tour bus, cut out of his life and never spoken to again.

Back
Top Bottom