Is "Wide to Receive" Moz's most homoerotic song?

There's no need to have a huge imagination to see a reference to a fellatio in the cover image of Your Arsenal....

Anyway, it's funny that he managed to keep people asking the same question since 1983... he knows his game and he is the best! :thumb:

interesting, yes erotic, though never thought of the fellatio angle on that cover, but sure.

I've never thought about which song is his most (homo)erotic, because all of his songs are very gay and many are very erotic.

I think there's so much innuendo especially in his early Smiths lyrics, as has been mentioned. From meeting someone who's in need of "self-validation" behind the railway station ("It's all over my face...") and getting "something that I won't forget too soon" behind the dis-used railway line, to slapping and "pinning" on the patio, to the icy cold hands conducting their way and swaying juvenile impulses of Stretch Out And Wait, there's always been a lot of sex in his lyrics.

Wide To Receive is a great song, beautifully sung and the lyrics are very clever and open to interpretation while at the same time very blunt.

interesting, yes erotic, though never thought of the fellatio angle on that cover, but sure.
It took me a while to get the fellatio reference, even though it's my favourite Morrissey cover. But since I've noticed I have been unable to unsee it.
It's great, especially in combination with the picture on the back of the sleeve.

‘most people keep their brains ....’

don’t we find ?

:cool:

There are gay / bi sexual references from day 1. He hasn't tried to hide that, surely his letter to everyone that he was gay is clearly written in "What difference does it make?"

I would say every era, probably every album contains something. He should come out properly and then we can all stop talking about it.

Funny how Wide To Receive is followed by another very cheeky song with lyrics that work on more than one level of interpretation - Roy's Keen

"He can hold a smile for as long as you require (even longer)"

There are gay / bi sexual references from day 1. He hasn't tried to hide that, surely his letter to everyone that he was gay is clearly written in "What difference does it make?"

I would say every era, probably every album contains something. He should come out properly and then we can all stop talking about it.

All men have secrets and here is mine
So let it be known

For we have been through hell and high tide
I think I can rely on you

And yet you start to recoil
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
But still I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you ....

But now you know the truth about me
You won't see me anymore

Well, I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh

But no more apologies
No more, no more apologies ..

("It's all over my face...")
:eek: I understood the song was about a sexual encounter but I was too young to fully pay attention to that line...Until now.
(I was old enough to raise an eyebrow when I heard "I haven't been feeling myself" .)
It's really all he ever thinks about, isn't it? That and cats.

He should come out properly and then we can all stop talking about it.

I don’t think him surrendering to the label of gay would stop folks from pointing out sexual innuendos in his songs.

People would continue to point out these lyrics just so they can say “see, I told you so” :lbf:

I don’t think him surrendering to the label of gay would stop folks from pointing out sexual innuendos in his songs.

People would continue to point out these lyrics just so they can say “see, I told you so” :lbf:

"Come out properly" made me cringe. Who defines "properly"? Apparently it isn't enough to state that you're not straight...

Also, people have always been discussing the themes in his lyrics, why not discuss homoeroticism as well? I know it's been done many times before but the same is true for most other Moz-related topics.

Hell..he might do it on his death bed.

Back
Top Bottom