Is "World Peace is None of your Business" the worst Morrissey album ever

pewtavert

Alabaster Crashes Down
Let me preface this post by saying that I love Morrissey to death. In fact I gave my only son his middle name but I'm sorry but I have to say that this album just isn't doing it for me. I love all things Morrissey however this album bores me to tears. There are a few good tracks, like Bullfighter, Istanbul & Kiss me alot however other than those and maybe 1 or 2 other bearable tracks, the album is horrific. Of course this is just my opinion but I've been listening to Morrissey for over 25 years and this album just doesn't do it for me at all. Opinions welcome.....:squiffy:

Last edited:
Re: Is "World Peace is None of your Business" The worst Morrissey album ever????

i myself who plays and writes crappier music was pretty impressed by it. i think most people who dont like it are those who are fans from way way back, at least from comments here. could you verbalize what you dont like about it? imo it seems to come down to how they perceive the man himself and not a musical moment thay can point to explain.

Re: Is "World Peace is None of your Business" The worst Morrissey album ever????

I think in terms of the musical style the last three records for me have not been to my taste overall. This record is definitely better than the last two but it has this inescapably dragging feel to it.

I like it but I don't love it. I think to sum up my thoughts: WP is not really a rock record. The songs are mostly on the too-long side of things and the record has a sluggishness to it despite the peppy Spanish guitars in places.

In Your Arsenal his band had crafted a strong sound that they mastered throughout the following couple of records. By You Are the Quarry things seemed to be going more or less stale musically and this record doesn't provide the new and assured sound that one would hope for with a new record after a five year recording absence. For the last decade Morrissey has been drawing far too much from the local well and not searching for the distant waterfall.

To Morrissey I'm sure it seemed more ambitious than it indeed is and while he succeeded at many points -- "Istanbul", "Staircase At the University", and "Kiss Me a Lot" for example are some of his strongest songs ever -- he managed to make a middle of the pack record, not the monster he seems to think it is.

I suppose the result is still rather impressive but Morrissey is held to such high standards by fans and critics alike that middle of the pack doesn't really cut it.

Last edited:

There are a million ways to answer this question. Consensus is hard to find among hard-core fans but the buying public and cross-over fans liked Quarry best out of the last 4 if sales mean anything and I think they do mean something. I could go track-by-track and explain why Quarry is better. It wouldn't be very difficult to do. But why be a kill joy? When Houdini is done with his polls, Quarry will have more "8's, 9's and 10's" than "World Peace..." but that doesn't really answer your question. I feel Morrissey was struggling to find a voice post-Vauxhall and Southpaw and Maladjusted did not...work so well. Quarry, dial-a-cliché, was a return to form, where he found a voice, a different sound that doesn't appeal to everyone. I think Morrissey found that voice post-Smiths with Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall, and Quarry - myself personally believing that the Bona Drag singles, if you will, were quite possibly his finest hour. The way I think of his solo output is great albums, good albums, mediocre albums and duds. I put "World Peace" in the 5 spot, out of 10 studio albums, which would suggest "mediocre" but I actually think it's a good album but that Viva, Arsenal, Vauxhall, and Quarry are better. And so it goes. I actually draw lines like this.

Viva
Quarry
Arsenal
Vauxhall
(great)
----------
World Peace
ROTT
(good)
---------
Maladjusted
Kill Uncle
(mediocre)
-----------
Southpaw
Refusal
(duds)
-----------

Why is "World Peace..." a good album? It's good in part because it's better than ROTT and Refusal, so it's got that going for it. The best songs are really strong: Istanbul, Not A Man, Staircase, Kiss Me A Lot, and I would also add Neal Cassady to that list. Then, there lots of people who also dig the less, shall we say accessible tracks, which even many of them would admit required repeat listens. I don't need to list them. Earth Is - seems rather universally panned...but other than that...not a dud in the bunch...even if those other songs are 6 of 10, you don't skip a 6, you listen. By contrast, Refusal had lots of tracks one simply skipped.

So where exactly does World Peace fall flat? Not musically, and not in production, and not in vocals. Only in lyrics, occasionally. And in something we don't really talk much about...wide swaths...where he simply doesn't sing...music takes a greater spotlight than we are used to...something we have not seen since Southpaw. That the album even came out was...well many thought Moz would never record again, having no record deal, so that it saw light of day also takes it up a notch. Then, we wondered, does he have anything left to say? He did, thereby exceeding expectations. Before it came out, I felt we were looking at something approaching a "World Music" album and I think I was right. Not to put down those in are late 30s and early 40s (like me), but I think the vast majority of young people, and Morrissey still draws a lot of water with them, like/love this album...and I think for many of them this is the first album they saw spawn before their eyes...and that's always special...just like I saw "Viva Hate" spawn before my eyes, because I got into Moz after The Smiths broke up.

I would add that I find the bonus tracks to be very very good, so solid, crooner in style, and seemingly effortless. The guy may not be, and I would say isn't, what he used to be, but he still has it, still has an edge about him, still invents and re-invents, never making the same album twice, and he has something to say. Where he goes from here, who knows...but if this is it...he did not end on a low note and I think history will be very kind to this album. I think the way to get into it, is to listen to the tracks you say you like, the bonus tracks that may appeal, and then give each song a chance. Mountjoy and Smiler do nothing for me...I doubt they ever will...so I replace them with Art-Hounds and Scandinavia and am if not downright happy, I am content, I am satisfied, hopeful for another album, a better album, because I truly believe he's got one great album left in him to finish the cannon of his Solo work.

I think much of that will depend on the lyrics and because he's already now done it, I don't want, and I imagine many don't want (even if they don't know it), another album that relies heavily on a Spanish-y sound. I actually believe he could do a "Vauxhall Revisited" if he was in the mood but I simply don't think he wants to. I'll close by saying this particular sound isn't for everyone and if you're looking for an English-ness, it isn't there, and I think that only adds to disappointment; Maladjusted was far more English though I don't think nearly as good. I also have noticed that many of those who love this album either came back after some time away from Morrissey, or this was their first album, or this was when they became hard-core fans, and I think that colors the lenses by which the album is viewed. For example, I walked around Manchester, England listening to Quarry on CD player with headphones on. When I listen to that album that I love for itself, it also takes me back to the 4 days I spent to Manchester, and unbeknownst to me, it may elevate that album to a place it wouldn't have were I not privy to that experience (it would be in my top 4, but maybe not in at number 2).

- Ghoul

No. KILL UNCLE is the worst Morrissey album...by a long, long way.

Since it was released it's the only Morrissey album I've listened to.

In that same time I've played TQID and Strangeways a couple times each.

I really didn't like it at first but having had some time to kick it around I like quiet a bit; less I am Not a Man which is probably my least favourite song by him ever.

I'd say it's his most divisive album. There seems to be less agreement on what we like and dislike on this album than on any other.

No it isn't.

It's one of his best in recent years and even going back as far as the mid to late nineties. I have been listening to it constantly and the more I hear it the more I love it. I think your phrasing of the question suggests that the only answer you'll be happy with is "Yes it's terrible" You'll get that from a few on here but seeing as though the poll only has 16% here not liking it I really don't agree that it's a divisive album at all.

Pretty much everyone round here will agree that it's his best work since Quarry.
Anyone who's a musician and/or songwriter will know that it's his best album, musically, since Vauxhall and I.
Anyone who thinks it's his worst ever album is likely to be an absolute berk.

I find it plodding - "sluggish" is a great word for it actually - disjointed, lyrically trite and at times almost unlistenable. It's the first time I've ever listened to a Morrissey album and failed to find even 2 or 3 songs worthwhile songs on it; even Kill Uncle had Sing Your Life and Driving Your Girlfriend Home. "World Peace..." is obviously a musical departure from previous material and something of a concept album, which might explain the divided response. Whatever it is, it doesn't work for me. I played it 3 or 4 times through, gave up on it, and went back to Quarry and Vauxhall.

I find it plodding - "sluggish" is a great word for it actually - disjointed, lyrically trite and at times almost unlistenable. It's the first time I've ever listened to a Morrissey album and failed to find even 2 or 3 songs worthwhile songs on it; even Kill Uncle had Sing Your Life and Driving Your Girlfriend Home. "World Peace..." is obviously a musical departure from previous material and something of a concept album, which might explain the divided response. Whatever it is, it doesn't work for me. I played it 3 or 4 times through, gave up on it, and went back to Quarry and Vauxhall.

That's where I am with it as well, Amy.
But I think I will give it another try.

the polls arent open to everyone here whod make a comment and not everyone who comments uses the poll.

There are a million ways to answer this question. Consensus is hard to find among hard-core fans but the buying public and cross-over fans liked Quarry best out of the last 4 if sales mean anything and I think they do mean something. I could go track-by-track and explain why Quarry is better. It wouldn't be very difficult to do. But why be a kill joy? When Houdini is done with his polls, Quarry will have more "8's, 9's and 10's" than "World Peace..." but that doesn't really answer your question. I feel Morrissey was struggling to find a voice post-Vauxhall and Southpaw and Maladjusted did not...work so well. Quarry, dial-a-cliché, was a return to form, where he found a voice, a different sound that doesn't appeal to everyone. I think Morrissey found that voice post-Smiths with Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall, and Quarry - myself personally believing that the Bona Drag singles, if you will, were quite possibly his finest hour. The way I think of his solo output is great albums, good albums, mediocre albums and duds. I put "World Peace" in the 5 spot, out of 10 studio albums, which would suggest "mediocre" but I actually think it's a good album but that Viva, Arsenal, Vauxhall, and Quarry are better. And so it goes. I actually draw lines like this.

Viva
Quarry
Arsenal
Vauxhall
(great)
----------
World Peace
ROTT
(good)
---------
Maladjusted
Kill Uncle
(mediocre)
-----------
Southpaw
Refusal
(duds)
-----------

Why is "World Peace..." a good album? It's good in part because it's better than ROTT and Refusal, so it's got that going for it. The best songs are really strong: Istanbul, Not A Man, Staircase, Kiss Me A Lot, and I would also add Neal Cassady to that list. Then, there lots of people who also dig the less, shall we say accessible tracks, which even many of them would admit required repeat listens. I don't need to list them. Earth Is - seems rather universally panned...but other than that...not a dud in the bunch...even if those other songs are 6 of 10, you don't skip a 6, you listen. By contrast, Refusal had lots of tracks one simply skipped.

So where exactly does World Peace fall flat? Not musically, and not in production, and not in vocals. Only in lyrics, occasionally. And in something we don't really talk much about...wide swaths...where he simply doesn't sing...music takes a greater spotlight than we are used to...something we have not seen since Southpaw. That the album even came out was...well many thought Moz would never record again, having no record deal, so that it saw light of day also takes it up a notch. Then, we wondered, does he have anything left to say? He did, thereby exceeding expectations. Before it came out, I felt we were looking at something approaching a "World Music" album and I think I was right. Not to put down those in are late 30s and early 40s (like me), but I think the vast majority of young people, and Morrissey still draws a lot of water with them, like/love this album...and I think for many of them this is the first album they saw spawn before their eyes...and that's always special...just like I saw "Viva Hate" spawn before my eyes, because I got into Moz after The Smiths broke up.

I would add that I find the bonus tracks to be very very good, so solid, crooner in style, and seemingly effortless. The guy may not be, and I would say isn't, what he used to be, but he still has it, still has an edge about him, still invents and re-invents, never making the same album twice, and he has something to say. Where he goes from here, who knows...but if this is it...he did not end on a low note and I think history will be very kind to this album. I think the way to get into it, is to listen to the tracks you say you like, the bonus tracks that may appeal, and then give each song a chance. Mountjoy and Smiler do nothing for me...I doubt they ever will...so I replace them with Art-Hounds and Scandinavia and am if not downright happy, I am content, I am satisfied, hopeful for another album, a better album, because I truly believe he's got one great album left in him to finish the cannon of his Solo work.

I think much of that will depend on the lyrics and because he's already now done it, I don't want, and I imagine many don't want (even if they don't know it), another album that relies heavily on a Spanish-y sound. I actually believe he could do a "Vauxhall Revisited" if he was in the mood but I simply don't think he wants to. I'll close by saying this particular sound isn't for everyone and if you're looking for an English-ness, it isn't there, and I think that only adds to disappointment; Maladjusted was far more English though I don't think nearly as good. I also have noticed that many of those who love this album either came back after some time away from Morrissey, or this was their first album, or this was when they became hard-core fans, and I think that colors the lenses by which the album is viewed. For example, I walked around Manchester, England listening to Quarry on CD player with headphones on. When I listen to that album that I love for itself, it also takes me back to the 4 days I spent to Manchester, and unbeknownst to me, it may elevate that album to a place it wouldn't have were I not privy to that experience (it would be in my top 4, but maybe not in at number 2).

- Ghoul

Very nice read, BG. I love the album, and think it’s his best stuff since at least Quarry, if not before. But I actually don’t think he’s done a bad solo album. Kill Uncle is my least favorite of the lot, but even that I won’t consider bad.

Very nice read, BG. I love the album, and think it’s his best stuff since at least Quarry, if not before. But I actually don’t think he’s done a bad solo album. Kill Uncle is my least favorite of the lot, but even that I won’t consider bad.

I hear what you are saying. A compelling argument can be made that "Southpaw Grammar" is the best album to drive to. "Maladjusted" contains Trouble Loves Me and whether or not the title track works it's ambitious as anything and I love that song for that reason. "Kill Uncle" - hey nobody was complaining when it came out...I was there.
As for "Years of Refusal" I don't want to talk about it. :p

This is how I would describe most of the repetitive criticism of WPINOYB. Not your criticism particularly, just the constant need to remind us we are listening to Morrissey's worst album ever.

Not even close - my fourth favourite after Vauxhall and I, Your Arsenal and Viva Hate, and certainly a better album than Quarry. Lyrically, Smiler With Knife, Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto are his best work for many years - love those songs.

Last edited:
I have to admit, when I think it's one of his top four albums, I'm usually thinking of the deluxe edition. To me, Art Hounds, Julie in the Weeds, and Drag the River make up for some of the weaker tracks on the album proper. Would I think it was as good if I were accustomed to just listening to the regular version? Probably yes, because even on that version there are six really good tracks.... which is far more than we've seen on any album since at least Quarry.

It's actually really interesting reading some of these posts. To my mind WPINOYB is the best Morrissey album in a very long time. Since Southpaw probably. I love the fact that it is so varied: all of the songs are so different from each other. And that's the reason I think ROTT is his weakest album by far. It's one long dirge. The only song I don't like on WP is Mountjoy, probably because that feels like it would have fitted in quite nicely on ROTT!

And to all those who say Kill Uncle is his worst album, I recently got the remaster on vinyl, and it's far better than I remember it. I think you should all go back and listen again. Southpaw Grammar is the same way.

Definitely not his worst at all! I also love the concept album aspect to it. The 12 songs on the proper album have such a deliberate theme that connects them.
It's not my #1 favorite album of his -that will always be Your Arsenal- but it's probably #2 or #3...

Back
Top Bottom