"Istanbul" - spoken-word promo video

Re: Article: "Istanbul" - spoken-word promo video

After first listen, I really enjoyed this one. Interesting lyrics which I haven't quite had the time to disect but very promising. Love the music too, funky and melodic. Can imagine it fitting on Ringleader.

Also, of what we've heard so far, it appears that Joe Chiccarelli was a masterstroke. He has done a great job.

I was going to say the same thing. It definitely sounds like "My dearest love"

Last edited:
What film inspired this song I wonder?

Glad to here it, Married.
And a nice (if relatively minor) treat for Morrissey's Antipodean fans to hear it first after missing out on recent tours...

Yes it was nice to wake up to. btw I'm marred, not married. Big difference, or maybe not?

ps: And as far as tours go we are used to missing out but the December 2012 tour here was greatly appreciated, especially to see him sing in the Sydney Opera house was a real treat.

The title of the album is begging for a World Tour. Can you imagine T Shirts with "World Peace Is None Of Your Business World Tour" on them? Or the "World Peace Tour"?

Last edited:
Wow. The iTunes clip sounds fantastic!

Re: Article: "Istanbul" - spoken-word promo video

After first listen, I really enjoyed this one. Interesting lyrics which I haven't quite had the time to disect but very promising. Love the music too, funky and melodic. Can imagine it fitting on Ringleader.

Also, of what we've heard so far, it appears that Joe Chiccarelli was a masterstroke. He has done a great job.

Agreed. Both Visconti & Finn had tracks that were as musically diverse as this to work with but fell far short of making each element sing. Every piece of this track rings out, in harmony.

Has comeone already made a transcription of the full lyrics?

viva hate has on wiki somewhere.

Thank you Marred for the corrections.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Istanbul_(single)

When he first cried
His mother died
I had tried to be his guide
When he was born I was too young
The father searches for the son

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
Oh, Istanbul
Give me back my brown-eyed son

Moonlight jumping through the trees
Sunken eyes avoiding me
From dawn to dusk the hunt is on

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
In Istanbul

On secret streets in disbelief
Little shadow shows the lead
Prostitutes; stylish and glum
In amongst them you are one
Oh, what have I done?

Rolling breathless off the tongue
The vicious street gang slang
I lean into a box of pine
Identify the kid as mine

Istanbul
Istanbul

When he first cried
His mother died

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
Oh, Istanbul

Sunken eyes avoiding me

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
In Istanbul

Oh, what have I done?

Identify the kid as mine

Istanbul
Istanbul

Thank You Viva Hate and Marred! :)

When he first cried
His mother died

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
Oh, Istanbul

Sunken eyes avoiding me

In Istanbul
Give him back to me
In Istanbul

Oh, what have I done?

Identify the kid as mine

Istanbul
Istanbul

Thank You!

Wow!:love::love::love: I love this and the whole spoken word series. Just brilliant. The song clip sounds excellent. I hope he premiers Istanbul on tour soon.World Peace has totally grown on me too. I cannot wait for this album :D:D:D

could be well off after hearing the full song but initially reminded me of 'My Dearest Love'

I've listened to the full song about 10 times now and a combination of My Dearest Love and the previously mentioned Black Cloud is probably the closest I can put the new song too. But even so it's quite its own thing.

Bought the song and love it. That is now 2 from 2 so far. Bravo to the producer this is the best Morrissey (and the band) have sounded in quite some time. Could he do it? Could he really confound everyone again??

How can all of you claim that this song (and the others) are anything close to his classics like Disappointed, Suedehead, NFD, Maudlin Street, We Hate It When Our Friends, etc.?

The lyrics are rather weak and repetitive throughout all of the new songs.

Quit being a lemming and think for yourself.

Now that Istanbul is released and apparently has no art work, can we now assume this dog cover is the album art work and not the WPINOYB sleeve? I'm losing hope by the day for an officially photographed Morrissey album cover.

I am picturing the cover for Istanbul as a black and white grainy sleeve with Morrissey perusing through a market, perhaps Camden with orange font.

Remember the days of Playboy and Interesting Drug where the singles came with the lyrics on the back? Seems like the perfect opportunity to go back to those days a la the new spoken word video emphasising the lyrics.

How can all of you claim that this song (and the others) are anything close to his classics like Disappointed, Suedehead, NFD, Maudlin Street, We Hate It When Our Friends, etc.?

Oh f*** off. You've become a cheap caricature of something interesting.

No one claimed the new songs were like the ones you mentioned. You're arguing with yourself. I'm glad these new songs don't sound like those because they have already been written. What do we need more of them for?

Now that Istanbul is released and apparently has no art work, can we now assume this dog cover is the album art work and not the WPINOYB sleeve? I'm losing hope by the day for an officially photographed Morrissey album cover.

I am picturing the cover for Istanbul as a black and white grainy sleeve with Morrissey perusing through a market, perhaps Camden with orange font.

Remember the days of Playboy and Interesting Drug where the singles came with the lyrics on the back? Seems like the perfect opportunity to go back to those days a la the new spoken word video emphasising the lyrics.

I think you're right about the album cover; I had the same thought. I'm a bit disappointed, although I like the cover. I was hoping for something pro shot too. I think, as others have noted, these are not "singles" in the traditional sense that we are used to. No physical release, no b-sides. It's probably for the best that Morrissey is changing with the time but I miss the old school singles. Maybe we'll get one after the album release.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom