It's all about Johnny Marr

The Truth

about Ruth
Pick a song and explain how it's about Johnny Marr. I'll start.

"All You Need Is Me" is about Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr needs Morrissey to be considered truly relevant and not just a sideman for hire.

Everyday is Like Sunday is about Johnny Marr as the lyrics describe a night on the beach that Morrissey and Marr had. Marr's clothes were stolen off a bench. Pretty sure they were in Margate too.

my shithead siblings ate all my food so i ordered pizza. if it seems like im playing fast and loose with my money this week its cause i am, but thats bc if i get this other job i will have No Fun for a few months

harrey you gotta learn that being a shitty wizard is f***ing important, do everything i say and learn to fear death every day by age 11 or you’re not worth talking to

Of course, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: owes all to Moz, the botox, the big :horseface: tooths, the wig, the stupid tattoos, all paid
by Moz talent.
:expressionless:
same goes for DH andy and FH mike. add all of them together and you have the sucko word cup.
:tongueclosed:

Pick a song and explain how it's about Johnny Marr. I'll start.

"All You Need Is Me" is about Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr needs Morrissey to be considered truly relevant and not just a sideman for hire.

Well, that part is true.

‘You Have Killed Me’ is about Johnny Marr giving Morrissey AIDS.

my shithead siblings ate all my food so i ordered pizza. if it seems like im playing fast and loose with my money this week its cause i am, but thats bc if i get this other job i will have No Fun for a few months

My thread has been declared off-topic but I don't know how anything could be more "on topic" than a thread about Morrissey's songs. Meanwhile we have "It's Not About Politics" in the main forum which was always just Derek17's excuse to tell us all about the genius of Qanon and Alex Jones.
What:crazy:

ever. :tiphat:

'I Wish You Lonely' is a song mainly about Johnny Marr. Morrissey wishes Johnny Marr lonely for leaving The Smiths, so Marr can see what's been routine for Morrissey ever since the day Marr left the band ('since the day I was born' refers to the birth of Morrissey as a solo artist).

The burden of being a former Smith is something Morrissey carries with him. Marr is the gunship from Bergen casting a shadow over Morrissey's career and Morrissey is the humpback whale never giving in ('never giving in' refers to the pressure he feels to leave his solo career behind and reform The Smiths, which he won't do).

"Heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin" is a reference to Andy Rourke rather than Marr.
"Never coming back, never coming back" again relates to Morrissey's refusal to reform The Smiths, it's a cry of frustration that The Smiths' music is still Morrissey's most highly regarded work after 30+ years, and Morrissey wishes Marr lonely for being to blame for the predicament in which Morrissey finds himself (30 years at sea with The Smiths' legacy constantly bearing down on him like a gunship). Morrissey stubbornly refuses to submit; he'll simply write songs about Marr rather than with him.

Not only... but also:
"Romance gone wrong" refers to the breakdown of Morrissey and Marr's relationship (this goes without saying).
"Tombs full of fools who gave their life upon command" is about musicians who cave to the pressure and reform their old bands. Morrissey won't do this and he wrote this cryptic song about not reforming The Smiths to hint at why.

"To hell with everybody else" is Morrissey succinctly paraphrasing his critics' general attitude towards his current band members. They only want Marr/The Smiths, and "to hell with everybody else" they dismissively state towards Tobias, Boz, etc., all of whom have families. Morrissey undoubtedly wishes these critics lonely too. They're "thinking of themselves only, of everything they demand" - just like Marr was when he left The Smiths, in Morrissey's estimation, as this song implies (similar sentiments are also expressed in the other 11 songs on the album).

Last edited:
:lbf: if only this were true.

'I Wish You Lonely' is a song mainly about Johnny Marr. Morrissey wishes Johnny Marr lonely for leaving The Smiths, so Marr can see what's been routine for Morrissey ever since the day Marr left the band ('since the day I was born' refers to the birth of Morrissey as a solo artist).

The burden of being a former Smith is something Morrissey carries with him. Marr is the gunship from Bergen casting a shadow over Morrissey's career and Morrissey is the humpback whale never giving in ('never giving in' refers to the pressure he feels to leave his solo career behind and reform The Smiths, which he won't do).

"Heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin" is a reference to Andy Rourke rather than Marr.
"Never coming back, never coming back" again relates to Morrissey's refusal to reform The Smiths, it's a cry of frustration that The Smiths' music is still Morrissey's most highly regarded work after 30+ years, and Morrissey wishes Marr lonely for being to blame for the predicament in which Morrissey finds himself (30 years at sea with The Smiths' legacy constantly bearing down on him like a gunship). Morrissey stubbornly refuses to submit; he'll simply write songs about Marr rather than with him.

Not only... but also:
"Romance gone wrong" refers to the breakdown of Morrissey and Marr's relationship (this goes without saying).
"Tombs full of fools who gave their life upon command" is about musicians who cave to the pressure and reform their old bands. Morrissey won't do this and he wrote this cryptic song about not reforming The Smiths to hint at why.

"To hell with everybody else" is Morrissey succinctly paraphrasing his critics' general attitude towards his current band members. They only want Marr/The Smiths, and "to hell with everybody else" they dismissively state towards Tobias, Boz, etc., all of whom have families. Morrissey undoubtedly wishes these critics lonely too. They're "thinking of themselves only, of everything they demand" - just like Marr was when he left The Smiths, in Morrissey's estimation, as this song implies (similar sentiments are also expressed in the other 11 songs on the album).

Not only... but also:

That song is an ode to no dependence, a.k.a. independence. Personal, political, chemical, affective independence. We are slaves.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom