its been approx 15 years since i heard

the full version of "will never marry" and the studio version of "sister i'm a poet", but i've just put that right. those songs are as good as the smiths. oh yes.

I love Sister I'm a Poet, especially the version on 'Hulmerist'. I'm never sure if I'm making out the words right though, is he saying, "a plastic bag, stranded at the lights, this once was me"? And earlier on does he say something about "citroen vans"?

All over this town
Yes, a low wind may blow
And I can see through everybody's clothes
With no reason
To hide these words, I feel
And no reason
To talk about the books I read
But still, I do

That's 'cause I'm a ...
Sister I'm a ...
All over this town

Along this way
Outside the prison gates
I love the romance of Crime
And I wonder :
Does anybody feel the same way I do ?
And is Evil just something you are
Or something you do ?

Sister I'm a ...
Sister I'm a ...
All over this town

All over this town
They pull over
In their Citroen vans
Not to shake your hands
With Meths on their breaths
And you with youth on your side
All alone ... lone ... alone, waiting at the lights
But not this time

Sister I'm a ...
Sister I'm a ...
All over this town ...
All .. oh
Oh
All over this town

Cheers for the lyrics, but I'm sure he says something like 'plastic bags' on the Hulmerist version. Do you know if the studio is available anywhere at the moment? it's never been on any of the 'World of Morrissey' type compilations has it?

Studio version is on the Everyday is Like Sunday Cd single; not as good as the live versions, not by a long way.

Last edited:
charlie tango said:
the full version of "will never marry" and the studio version of "sister i'm a poet", but i've just put that right. those songs are as good as the smiths. oh yes.

Stephen Street...Vini Reilly...Stephen Street...Vini Reilly...

As the years pass the question of how The Smiths might have turned out if they'd continued is actually less haunting than the question of how Morrissey's solo career might have gone with Street and Reilly. I love most of the post-Eighty-Hate stuff, but when I hear songs like "Sister I'm A Poet" I also can't help asking "What if...?"

Imagine Street and Reilly playing on the records, with Whyte, Boorer et al contributing a few tracks here and there while playing everything live when Morrissey toured...

Shifty said:
I love Sister I'm a Poet, especially the version on 'Hulmerist'. I'm never sure if I'm making out the words right though, is he saying, "a plastic bag, stranded at the lights, this once was me"? And earlier on does he say something about "citroen vans"?
moz sez plastic bag cause he swats one as it flies by at the gig. and cause he is a silly billy.

Worm said:
Stephen Street...Vini Reilly...Stephen Street...Vini Reilly...

As the years pass the question of how The Smiths might have turned out if they'd continued is actually less haunting than the question of how Morrissey's solo career might have gone with Street and Reilly. I love most of the post-Eighty-Hate stuff, but when I hear songs like "Sister I'm A Poet" I also can't help asking "What if...?"

yes! moz is best when catchy and punchy and commercial. it dosn't get better than suedehead and playboys.

charlie tango said:
moz sez plastic bag cause he swats one as it flies by at the gig. and cause he is a silly billy.

Oh, I see. And to think all this time I thought the plastic bag stranded at the light contains meths.

I think I'm a silly billy, too.

mozmic_dancer said:
Oh, I see. And to think all this time I thought the plastic bag stranded at the light contains meths.

I think I'm a silly billy, too.
never mind- being a silly billy isn't too bad. is it nice in america? is it true that nobody like meester bush?

About Stephen Street and Vini Reilly, I dunno guys.....the "rockabilly" Moz and Mick Ronson combination still sounds fantastic 14 years after Your Arsenal came out; what a record that one is.

Maradona said:
About Stephen Street and Vini Reilly, I dunno guys.....the "rockabilly" Moz and Mick Ronson combination still sounds fantastic 14 years after Your Arsenal came out; what a record that one is.
yeah yeah, but i called you a silly sausage.
anyway, from glasgow? u been to wickerman festival? i have. its not glastonbury but its very good.

charlie tango said:
never mind- being a silly billy isn't too bad. is it nice in america? is it true that nobody like meester bush?

Yes, America is nice. Too many squirrels. They ate all my tomato plants.

I don't know about everybody, but I don't like meester bush. When I see him, I get a stomach ache in the head. Next time, I'm voting for Mickey Mouse.

i like home-grown tomatoes.
in england we have pessimism which is nice. and we have rain sometimes. and cricket and football and chips. and gravy.
well done america, for 1) Elvis
2) Homer

In the full version of Will Never Marry, you get the full story. I first heard the lady calling to the school yard a few years ago - can you hear a lady calling out "Steven? Steven?" - Simon Goddard says (I think) that they dragged Steven Street's wife in to do this bit. I see it as a call from Morrissey's mother back to home, pulling him away from the inevitablity of ingrained marriage behaviour. It's a haunting and beautiful touch, and one you only hear in the full version.

Peter

charlie tango said:
not suedehaed, but everyday is like sunday, you silly sausage

I know man, I just realised when I pulled the singles out to take a look!!! Sorry. I am, indeed, a sausage of mucho grande silliness.

D

Back
Top Bottom