@itsmorrissey - Morrissey tweets thread

Yeah. I mean, I get people's scepticism about it, but I wouldn't conclusively say "It's not him and this is all some horrible tacky ploy" either. That seems to be the attitude of a lot of people responding to his tweets, and here to some extent.
There's no way to know who is creating these tweets, I admit that. I hate to imagine a world devoid of optimism, though. But that's just me.

Not sure why everyone's so convinced that the last few tweets aren't him- true, there is a change in tone from the first couple, but I think it was pretty obvious this was at least partly a publicity thing for the new album from the start. Maybe he's just figured out what a useful tool Twitter can be for publicising stuff and getting information out there and is just capitalising on that. He's not above publicity and just because the last few have been mainly in that vein doesn't mean it's not really him. Plenty of people use Twitter the same way- partly comments and day to day thoughts, partly as a marketing tool. I don't see why people are not only jumping to conclusions about it, but being so bloody negative.

Can you imagine Morrissey from everything you've read about him or from him, or heard in his lyrics...that person, the Moz in your head, ever post a link in a tweet?

Really?

Or do a + in a tweet or in any form of prose?

Imagine that same Morrissey, using a # or @. So laughable.

Can you imagine Morrissey from everything you've read about him or from him, or heard in his lyrics...that person, the Moz in your head, ever post a link in a tweet?

Really?

No, actually not. It is to late in the game for him, no change is coming, it's just him. These tweets are not for me, I'm middle aged, I don't expect them. This is for the internet connected or younger crowd. They (younger) lament that he doesn't do it, but I (older) don't care if he does.

Morrissey's Twitter account will probably come up in his next interview, most likely in an is-it-really-you type of query, so we might have the answer then.

I'm personally waiting for his twitpic of his Ceylon Tea pot and Mont Blanc pen next to a copy of Proust with the caption "Hard Times"

Really?

I kind of can, actually. People seem to forget that we don't actually know him so it seems a bit pointless to conjecture that of course he'd never use a + instead of an & or post a link in a tweet or be involved with Twitter at all (because God forbid Morrissey would ever lower himself so much) purely based on the fantasy version we have of him in our heads. Because none of us know what he's actually like or would actually do. So yeah, I can imagine him doing many things that I have no idea of the veracity of, because I have no idea what his thought process is.

Last edited:
#tabloidjunkie

"Just because you read it in a magazine Or see it on the TV screen Don't make it factual Though everybody wants to read all about it Just because you read it in a magazine Or see it on the TV screen Don't make it factual, actual
They say he's homosexual....."

http://www.estimatedwebsite.in/itsmorrisseysworld.com

What's that meant to be?

Also, I'm not just accepting that the Twitter account is him unthinkingly, if that's what the quote is meant to imply. I just think people are being excessively cynical and, frankly, snobby about it.

Last edited:
I don't get where the confusion is coming from. It's obviously a label run Twitter account - as it should be - which he has access to and will tweet from occassionally. As it stands the first two tweets are certainly from himself and the rest (so far) have been from the label.

As UncleSkinny said it's a marketing tool for the new album. Getting Moz to contribute just one tweet generated headlines around the world and shot his follower count up from the low 30K's to 240K+ in the space of 24hr hours; if's fantastically canny marketing from Harvest and the sad thing is that this is all very run of the mill PR these days but one that Moz has traditionally excluded himself from; though I will say this, the column inches generated over this would have been far fewer if Moz hadn't cultivated the myth that he wasn't interested in technology over the years and rest assured, it is a myth.

I don't know if he had to have his arm twisted into doing this as part of his new two-album deal or if Gustavo convinced him of the merits of Social Media on the tour bus but thank god to whoever it was.

It's interesting (to me anyway) comparing Morrissey on Twitter with Johnny. Johnny posts all his own tweets, I believe and while he does feed weblinks and tour date pages every now and then, it is mostly tweets about his gigs, his guitars, his son, his band, what he's up to (remember when he was live tweeting a late night walk around Manchester and had people chasing through the streets after him?); in short, everyday stuff. He's also great about replying to tweets from fans - I've interacted with him several times and had many questions answered, as I'm sure most on this board have; he really seems to get it.

I'm torn as to wanting that same experience from Moz. On the one hand it would be brilliant but on the other I think the potential for disaster is just too high. Johnny gets some amount of stick from idiots and handles it - for the most part - well but I don't think Moz would.

Time will tell if this will stick or not or if he'll only make an appearance in the months leading up to a release but it's going to be interesting in the meantime.

We'll know we're really in the 21st century when he does an AMA on Reddit.

Back
Top Bottom