Jacqueline Morrissey statement re: England Is Mine (via SER) - "OFFENSIVE misrepresentation"

Sam Esty Rayner Photography / Facebook:

"Mark Gill's England is Mine is a lie.

This is not our family or how we lived.

It is an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation.

He has made a shambles of a glorious opportunity."

-Jacqueline Morrissey
September 5, 2017.

40675_jaqueline_morrissey_statement.png

Closing the stable door...
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all well and good to call something offensive, but if you don't elaborate on why, it's rather meaningless.

Especially in this era of the professionally, constantly offended.
I like this above questioning statement. I too require more information than someone's mere offense to something to align one way or the other.

No details, just nothing. I would like to know, so I can give her some credibility (because at this point she has none, other than the familial protectionist represented in her statement).

Seen the film twice now. There is nothing offensive in it. None of the family are shown to be nasty. The parents row off-screen, but there is no implication of anything other than straight-forward discord between them. The siblings squabble a bit; Dad tells Steven to get a job. Mum encourages him to follow his dreams; sister takes the mick a bit, he takes the mick back. Nobody is made to look abusive or cruel.

If the family are genuinely offended, it must be from some sort of wounding feeling of having any portrayal whatsoever of their domestic life, because the film's content doesn't merit the tone of Jacqueline's statement. But I'd be amazed that they hadn't complained like this before; years ago, nearer the time, with previous discussions or mentions in books etc, let alone Morrissey's lyrics.

The film was a low-budget indie effort made by lifelong, Mancunian fans of The Smiths, with nothing to gain from alienating themselves from something they love so dearly. Numerous interviews with the cast and director mention the small bugdet, short timeframe and logistical constraints, meaning certain topics (e.g.: vegetarianism, trips to America) were left out, in favour of trying to tell a simple story about a young guy. Without millions to spend on an exhaustive 8-hour drama epic that captures every facet of his pre-Smiths life, what can people reasonably expect from one film? The thing is, most fans probably wanted to see a visual, cinematic realisation of the same emotions they had when they got into the band, or maybe a journey that mirrored their own growing up, and that is basically impossible.

Also: not seeing it 'on principle' is totally ridiculous. It's just a film; it's not someone waging war on anyone's personality or beliefs. The statement is way over the top, as was James Maker's (whose was very funny), which was only based on the trailer, not the film. Enjoy it or don't, but it's not to be taken so seriously.

Personally, I wouldn't pay money to see this movie. In my opinion this movies' target audience are the young and impressionable. Those born in the last 15 years who are pissing themselves to win an EIM poster signed by Jack Lowden. No Gracias. These are the same people who swear by 500 days of summer, which I have never seen either save for the parts that have been shoved into my face with an accompanying phrase the likes of " you should watch this movie because they talk about The Smiths!" Why couldn't the elevator collapse then and roll the credits.
From what I've seen about biopics and the like is there is always a villain. For example the movie rockstar the brother was quite villainous as he would put down the younger brother constantly at the dining room table. Without even seeing the film I can inferr that perhaps this is the same sentiment portrayed in EIM.
I don't mind having to wait for the bootleg version to upload.
Exactly. The same Kuntz that are genetically incapable of going to the cinema without ordering trays of noisy nachos and who are always late and use their phone torch to find a seat. And then talk all the way through the film. I went to see 'IT' today and the audience was scarier than the film. Irish people wearing baseball caps! Next time I'm bringing a nail gun.

I like this above questioning statement. I too require more information than someone's mere offense to something to align one way or the other.

No details, just nothing. I would like to know, so I can give her some credibility (because at this point she has none, other than the familial protectionist represented in her statement).

OFFENSIVE misrepresentation of her and her family in the movie.
Nobody asked her anything neither. Nor her brother, nor James Maker.
The fact she is commenting at all speaks volumes as she never did before in all those years about anything at all.

It must be hurtful to her and Moz if you keep in mind she is only family of someone who became famous. She has noting to do with that. Same for Moz, as he can't protect their privacy and must feel bad about it. Even if you're not really responsible it is a normal and instinctive reaction to try to protect the privacy of your family, if you got the chance, which he didn't. He says he was not consulted.

And, if the filmmakers thought it was THAT essential to portray his family they could have at least try to have it done truthfully. Which she says it was not. The actual persons portrayed were not consulted.

To think you can get enough info from the internet and some people from that time but not the essential ones is an omission.

Exactly. The same Kuntz that are genetically incapable of going to the cinema without ordering trays of noisy nachos and who are always late and use their phone torch to find a seat. And then talk all the way through the film. I went to see 'IT' today and the audience was scarier than the film. Irish people wearing baseball caps! Next time I'm bringing a nail gun.

Nachos in a cinema sounds like a joke and it is. Cannot believe people are eating that of all things in a place like that.

Not been to a cinema since 2012 and my own one doesn't count.

Seen the film twice now. There is nothing offensive in it. None of the family are shown to be nasty. The parents row off-screen, but there is no implication of anything other than straight-forward discord between them. The siblings squabble a bit; Dad tells Steven to get a job. Mum encourages him to follow his dreams; sister takes the mick a bit, he takes the mick back. Nobody is made to look abusive or cruel.

If the family are genuinely offended, it must be from some sort of wounding feeling of having any portrayal whatsoever of their domestic life, because the film's content doesn't merit the tone of Jacqueline's statement. But I'd be amazed that they hadn't complained like this before; years ago, nearer the time, with previous discussions or mentions in books etc, let alone Morrissey's lyrics.

The film was a low-budget indie effort made by lifelong, Mancunian fans of The Smiths, with nothing to gain from alienating themselves from something they love so dearly. Numerous interviews with the cast and director mention the small bugdet, short timeframe and logistical constraints, meaning certain topics (e.g.: vegetarianism, trips to America) were left out, in favour of trying to tell a simple story about a young guy. Without millions to spend on an exhaustive 8-hour drama epic that captures every facet of his pre-Smiths life, what can people reasonably expect from one film? The thing is, most fans probably wanted to see a visual, cinematic realisation of the same emotions they had when they got into the band, or maybe a journey that mirrored their own growing up, and that is basically impossible.

Also: not seeing it 'on principle' is totally ridiculous. It's just a film; it's not someone waging war on anyone's personality or beliefs. The statement is way over the top, as was James Maker's (whose was very funny), which was only based on the trailer, not the film. Enjoy it or don't, but it's not to be taken so seriously.

hi Gill. :tiphat:

Stop being a stupid 4ck-nugget :rolleyes:
Why did she wait until the day before the bots could pre-order the film online before delivering the proxy statement Steve prepared ?
The family Steve have enjoyed the free publicity and now it's cut off time. From today Steve has NOTHING to gain from it.
It really is that simple. :thumb: (You 4ck nugget you :tiphat:)

#England is mine, such a shame I couldn't put something back for the people of Manchester at the arena opening tmrw night after the awful terrorist atrocity three months ago.

#High skool musical out early November

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Stop being yourself. Be something bigger and better.

Totally agree with this statement. It's a pretty good film.

Don't see why anyone would have a problem with this film. Nether Control nor 24 hour party people had any input from the bands and Peter Hook simply said - A lot of people think they know what happened. But they don’t! Anyone who’s ever written a book or made a film about Joy Division, unless they were sat in that van or car with us, they don’t know anything about it. Me, Barney, Steve, Ian, Rob, Twinny, Terry and Dave. Only us lot know what really happened…

Stop being a puppet and think for yourself. There's a big world out there you know.

#Switzerland is mine

You reacted stupidly just because I said a person who was portrayed in the film had the right to give her opinion about it.

I didn't give mine because I didn't watch the film yet. So... who is the puppet here? Wouldn't you have the right to give your opinion if it was your family and your life?

If the film doesn't reflect the absolute truth that fact doesn't decrease its artistic value. We all know that some friction between the characters make the plot more interesting and captivating, so I guess they created some little family tension to avoid people fall asleep.

On the other hand, it's natural people feel offended when they are not portrayed at their best, so at least give them the chance to express it. Gill said it's a fiction based in Morrissey's life, so it's good to know which parts are fiction. Is it so questionable puppet Benny?

OFFENSIVE misrepresentation of her and her family in the movie.
Nobody asked her anything neither. Nor her brother, nor James Maker.
The fact she is commenting at all speaks volumes as she never did before in all those years about anything at all.

It must be hurtful to her and Moz if you keep in mind she is only family of someone who became famous. She has noting to do with that. Same for Moz, as he can't protect their privacy and must feel bad about it. Even if you're not really responsible it is a normal and instinctive reaction to try to protect the privacy of your family, if you got the chance, which he didn't. He says he was not consulted.

And, if the filmmakers thought it was THAT essential to portray his family they could have at least try to have it done truthfully. Which she says it was not. The actual persons portrayed were not consulted.

To think you can get enough info from the internet and some people from that time but not the essential ones is an omission.

I hear your point, but as someone would say here, it is only speculation. And she didn't provide specifics to her complaint. Clearly everything in the movie can't be wrong and clearly everything can't be right either.

Yes, she did. She said the movie lied about how they lived their lives and wasted a good opportunity. Where can I pitch my idea for a #Morrissey screen-play? I have something called talent and respect for the subject. My screenplay will be the best.
:raisinghand::handok:

I hear your point, but as someone would say here, it is only speculation. And she didn't provide specifics to her complaint. Clearly everything in the movie can't be wrong and clearly everything can't be right either.

You reacted stupidly just because I said a person who was portrayed in the film had the right to give her opinion about it.

I didn't give mine because I didn't watch the film yet. So... who is the puppet here? Wouldn't you have the right to give your opinion if it was your family and your life?
If the film doesn't reflect the absolute truth that fact doesn't decrease its artistic value. We all know that some friction between the characters make the plot more interesting and captivating, so I guess they created some little family tension to avoid people fall asleep.

On the other hand, it's natural people feel offended when they are not portrayed at their best, so at least give them the chance to express it. Gill said it's a fiction based in Morrissey's life, so it's good to know which parts are fiction. Is it so questionable puppet Benny?

Apologies! ( I've been busy elsewhere )

I've taken onboard your waffle above and 4ck-all has changed to be honest with you.
It's all about the timing ! ( that's the biggest clue :rolleyes:,I hope it helps you but I have a hunch it won't)
Why did " Our Jackie" post her concerns about the film at the eleventh hour ? :head-smack:

Your five minutes of solo fame trying to engage with me have now come to an end !
From here on all I can do is wish you well for the future.
Goodbye ! :tiphat: (4ck nugget )

#Manchester arena is rockin tonight :handpointup: you ISIS ! :cool:

She was very specific. She said the image of the family was noy true.

Apologies! ( I've been busy elsewhere )

I've taken onboard your waffle above and 4ck-all has changed to be honest with you.
It's all about the timing ! ( that's the biggest clue :rolleyes:,I hope it helps you but I have a hunch it won't)
Why did " Our Jackie" post her concerns about the film at the eleventh hour ? :head-smack:

Your five minutes of solo fame trying to engage with me have now come to an end !
From here on all I can do is wish you well for the future.
Goodbye ! :tiphat: (4ck nugget )

#Manchester arena is rockin tonight :handpointup: you ISIS ! :cool:

If I would like fame you would be my last option in planet earth Benny.

True.
At the risk of being once again called a moz-bot, which I don't mind actually, I tried to think how it could be for his sister and for Moz, in case it really IS an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation. Even if it wasn't meant as such.

Something else in her statement that has not been discussed much was the remark it was a giant, once in a lifetime missed opportunity, which gives me the impression that despite of voices saying he would never, ever co-operate in making a movie, a biopic or whatever he actually would, given the right people and approach.

I think he would feel honoured and it doesn't have to be a completely "praise the lord" kind of hagiography. :thumb:

For me, it doesn't have to be a "tell all" kind of movie as I think it is all there in the songs, the music and the lyrics.
In his own way, the revealing things are more indirect and you can't just say he is not telling anything at all like a lot of contemporary musicians. He is guarded but sometimes there are bright spells in the interesting smoke curtains or when the smoke machine broke down due to too heavy overload. :o
Jack The Ripper, remember? :D

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom