JM's Morrissey Bootleg of the Day: Birmingham Academy 2002

This is in response to a request by Missing Link: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=65830

Enjoy...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ZMOYALV

30 October 2002
The Academy, Birmingham, UK

I Want The One I Can't Have
Suedehead
Little Man, What Now?
Hairdresser On Fire
Speedway
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
The First Of The Gang To Die
Jack The Ripper
Everyday Is Like Sunday
I Like You
Alsatian Cousin
Sister I'm A Poet
Meat Is Murder
November Spawned A Monster
Hand In Glove
Irish Blood, English Heart
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The first of five concerts in the UK was a huge success. The crowd was among the most enthusiastics of the tour, and Morrissey fed off its energy. There were many attempts to get on stage, from the start of the gig, but only one or two fans made it up. From before the show to the very end, the crowd engaged constantly in chants of Morrissey's name, or one aimed at record companies: "Sign him up! Sign him up!". At some point Morrissey decided that the fans would chant the name of one of his most dedicated fans: "We've been on the tour for three months now, and every night Julia has been in the front row and we think that's remarkable... so if you can find it in your hearts to give her a cheer...".

Greeting his fans, Morrissey apologised for his long period of absence from Birmingham. Before "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores", he asked his fans to name some crashing bores. He was obviously given "Elton John!" as a huge reply in unison. It seemed all of the audience had listened to the interview given just a few weeks earlier to Janice Long.

At some point Morrissey mentioned his situation within the record industry: "Who wants a record deal anyway? I don't... actually I do". His musicians were introduced as "four rugby players" and Alain was introduced as Gareth Gates. "Jack The Ripper" was introduced with the words "I'm a prostitute... you might see me selling myself in the Bullring (crowd breaks into laughter) no you might!". Before "Meat Is Murder", Morrissey said "In a world of Hannibal and cannibals, we prefer Reggie the veggie!".

"Hand In Glove" was introduced with "This song is older than you and you and you, but not me". Before "Irish Blood English Heart", Morrissey said "It's remarkable that such a great country can't come up with a decent politician... if somebody doesn't get rid of Tony Blair, I won't be held accountable... Jesus!". Thanking his fans as the end was getting near, he said "Your clapping is appreciated, everything is appreciated... even your boo's".

[Note: The previous text was copied/pasted from the website "Passions Just Like Mine"]

Thankyou so much never heard speedway live its amazing

You're all more than welcome. My pleasure...

Cheers again JM.

The text from Passions Just Like Mine was really nice thought - thanks :)

Would anyone like the Royal Albert Hall video (1st night) uploaded ?. I have MP4'd it.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom