JM's The Smiths Bootleg of the Day: Gloucester, 1986

Good evening, one and all... I thought a show from The Smiths was in order, and so I present to you...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WPCFJEQ5

Text, as always, is from the indefatigable "Passions Just Like Mine"...

18 October 1986
Leisure Centre, Gloucester

The Queen Is Dead
Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have
Vicar In A Tutu
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
Never Had No One Ever
Cemetry Gates
London
Meat Is Murder
I Know It's Over
/The Draize Train
/How Soon Is Now?
//Still Ill
//Bigmouth Strikes Again

There was no surprise in the setlist, Gloucester were given the same set as the past few cities the Smiths visited on this tour.

After "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" Morrissey said his first words of the evening: "Thank you you're very nice... very well kept..." While trying to introduce the following song with the words "this is our new single", the microphone gave out and his words barely came out... he finally managed to say "This song is called, 'Ask'!" Before "Never Had No One Ever", he asked "Somebody just called me?" At the beginning of "Meat Is Murder", Johnny played the first notes of the Doors' "The End" while Morrissey hummed a different melody. The Smiths minus Morrissey returned for the first encore, the instrumental "The Draize Train". Morrissey joined the rest of the band after the song and said "I just slipped out for a quick lozenge..." twice before launching into "How Soon Is Now?". In "Still Ill", he changed the usual "Oh no Oh yes" for a growling "Oh yes Oh yeaaaah!"

A fair audience recording of this concert is circulated on bootleg cds. MP3 files have made it onto the usual file sharing networks.

Thanks JM

I'd like to request The Ritz, Manchester November 1982 for tomorrow :)

Thanks JM

I'd like to request The Ritz, Manchester November 1982 for tomorrow :)

For you, I would gladly... If I had it. :(

I suggest whoever stands behind Julia at the next show take the keys to her house to get the only existing copy

Back
Top Bottom