Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’

Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’ - The Irish Times
The former Smiths guitarist on his third album, ‘Call the Comet’ – his most personal yet – and why he's happy to stay solo

Excerpt:

“The The reforming was a proposition that I had to think about. I played on the comeback single and playing with The The is a really great part of my story. So I guess if I was gonna join another band – and I didn’t join The The – I probably won’t join anybody. But I will be open to collaborations again in a couple of years, I think.”

I’m not going to ask that question, I tell him – the one that begins with “will” and ends in “reform” – but he smiles as he admits that he has been asked it less frequently in recent years. “Yeah, much less,” he says. “I think a lot of people don’t even wanna see it happen right now.”

“Everything that I was doing in The Smiths I can do now; but there’s things that I do now that I wouldn’t have had the skill or the mindset to do in The Smiths. I would never have been able to stand in front of a 70-piece orchestra and play to thousands of people, for example.

“So it’s all good. I’m happy with how things have turned out.”

Also:

Honour and good hair: Johnny Marr on what it takes to be in a band - Financial Times (subscription required)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smith is is dead. Let them rest in peace.

"the The" is Matt Johnson. They're not really a band. For as many albums as they have done there is almost as many line ups. Even when he had Marr by his side for two albums there was no co writing to be seen. It's all Matt. Great to see DC Collard and James Eller back with Johnson though.

This song is quite telling for today don't you think?

What a stupid question! Andy and Mike don't talk to Morrissey, specially after the huge court case. Johnny doesn't talk to Mike. Morrissey don't talk to any of them. He even stopped talking to Johnny. So, what's the point of asking (even thinking of it) for a reunion? Maybe many many years ago, but now... Move on!!

“Everything that I was doing in The Smiths I can do now"

...except write memorable tunes.
Not sure I agree. I like some of his new tunes, and his singing isn't the worst, but it reminds me of Bernard Butler trying to sing when he left Suede. The one thing Johnny doesn't have is the voice of Moz or his lyrical flair. Eh that is two things.

I’d like to hear more Electronic but the Smiths’ body of work is complete as it is.
I want to see Johnny join New Order, release a New Order album, tour it, with support from The The (featuring Johnny), and then an encore of Electronic acoustic songs with Bernard Sumner on vocals (no microphone) and Johnny on one string banjo.

… to an extent. Morrissey did the vocal melodies. Rourke supplied the melodic bass lines.
Am I the only one who thinks Mike was a great drummer? He never gets a mention (apart from a hateful way), in a similar way to Rick Buckler never getting a mention whenever The Jam is mentioned. I don't think Moz's disparaging comments about Mike and Andy were justified at all.

Not sure I agree. I like some of his new tunes, and his singing isn't the worst, but it reminds me of Bernard Butler trying to sing when he left Suede. The one thing Johnny doesn't have is the voice of Moz or his lyrical flair. Eh that is two things.

The Butler comparison comes to me a lot when I think of marrs solo work. Both got better as vocalists when they played to there strengths (for Bernard I thought his acoustic songs worked better for his vocals). Marrs vocal melodies are more conventional in there structure than morrisseys were in the smiths

Am I the only one who thinks Mike was a great drummer? He never gets a mention (apart from a hateful way), in a similar way to Rick Buckler never getting a mention whenever The Jam is mentioned. I don't think Moz's disparaging comments about Mike and Andy were justified at all.
All you have to do is listen to Rank to realize yes, Mike was worth at least 15% pay.

I want to see Johnny join New Order, release a New Order album, tour it, with support from The The (featuring Johnny), and then an encore of Electronic acoustic songs with Bernard Sumner on vocals (no microphone) and Johnny on one string banjo.
You mean you want Electronic to reform? Me too.

Bernard joined Johnny on stage when he supported New Order at Jodrell Bank - not a great version as Bernard said later it was a last minute decision after a couple of beers in the afternoon. Was a great day and they actually used the dish as part of the light show, best of all it was only only 10mins from my house!

This song is quite telling for today don't you think?

Every bit as much as it was in 1989. Thanks for sharing that link--excited to see the new tour when it's in my city in September.

Every bit as much as it was in 1989. Thanks for sharing that link--excited to see the new tour when it's in my city in September.

FFS not ELECTONIC!!!doh:
anything before that SUCKO Electronic, F gimme the COMET!!:drama:

(to say the above version sucks :poodle::basketball: is being charitable, what a catastrophe!)

All you have to do is listen to Rank to realize yes, Mike was worth at least 15% pay.
All you have to do is listen to ANY of their albums or singles to realize that Joyce and Rourke each brought near 25% to the recordings. Live performance shouldn’t require discussion. Listen to Morrissey talk about his effort and preparation now. That’s always been his thing. The folks round here who rail for justice in terms of how the $$$ were adjudicated for the Smiths have absolute ZERO knowledge of or appreciation for the musical process.

Morrissey was ONE among 4 very important quarters in the magic that was that band. You might like, appreciate, identify with or idolize his contribution above all the others. ...but that’s just a personal (and nonsensical) response to something that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

If Marr, Rourke and Joyce decided to reform, there are dozens of amazing singers out there who could fill Morrissey’s boots.

Morrissey is a f***ing cartoon now. The greatness you so fervently defend (more long for, really) has long since passed. ...as had his ability to contribute, musically.

If the Smiths reunited for a new single with Morrissey, it would be terrible. You know it and I know it. Absolute GARBAGE. At this point, he can’t write, sing or focus on anything but his own need for attention. He’d be below 15%. ...and the others would probably do what - perhaps - they should have done in the first place... Kick his whiny, wanker-ass the f*** out and carry on with someone else. Dime a dozen, once the ego takes over.

NOBODY wants a Smiths reunion with Morrissey. ...and Morrissey fans are welcome to the bland, beige, elevator garbage that they’re all so f***ing thrilled to uphold as “music”.

Just a daft lot of grey-sludge waders on a trek to nowhere. You enjoy.

All you have to do is listen to ANY of their albums or singles to realize that Joyce and Rourke each brought near 25% to the recordings. Live performance shouldn’t require discussion. Listen to Morrissey talk about his effort and preparation now. That’s always been his thing. The folks round here who rail for justice in terms of how the $$$ were adjudicated for the Smiths have absolute ZERO knowledge of or appreciation for the musical process.

Morrissey was ONE among 4 very important quarters in the magic that was that band. You might like, appreciate, identify with or idolize his contribution above all the others. ...but that’s just a personal (and nonsensical) response to something that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

If Marr, Rourke and Joyce decided to reform, there are dozens of amazing singers out there who could fill Morrissey’s boots.

Morrissey is a f***ing cartoon now. The greatness you so fervently defend (more long for, really) has long since passed. ...as had his ability to contribute, musically.

If the Smiths reunited for a new single with Morrissey, it would be terrible. You know it and I know it. Absolute GARBAGE. At this point, he can’t write, sing or focus on anything but his own need for attention. He’d be below 15%. ...and the others would probably do what - perhaps - they should have done in the first place... Kick his whiny, wanker-ass the f*** out and carry on with someone else. Dime a dozen, once the ego takes over.

NOBODY wants a Smiths reunion with Morrissey. ...and Morrissey fans are welcome to the bland, beige, elevator garbage that they’re all so f***ing thrilled to uphold as “music”.

Just a daft lot of grey-sludge waders on a trek to nowhere. You enjoy.
Wait- stop the presses. You think I defend Morrissey? You picked the wrong guy of all the people here.
Now if Johnny and the Marrs wanted to reform with a guest vocalist, I'd be all for it.
Say, with Michael Stipe. (Now that would be good) But I can't even listen to The Smiths lately without thinking
"Ugh... That douchebag..."

EDIT: Hey Thewlis- Sorry that the world is turning against your golden boy. Someday you'll wake up and figure out you're one of the swindled. Until then, f*** ya very much.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom