Johnny Marr announces new double album

New song sounds great although for some reason, as much as I truly love his work with The Smiths, The The and as a guitar player myself much respect but I just cannot warm to his Solo stuff.

lyrics are generally too abstract, music is all a bit meh.

Truly a shame the 2 boys can't mend the bloody fence, even for just a record or 3.......zoom it all....you'll never have to actually see each other. ......give it a go Johnny....he was once damm near on his knees and not from dancing.

A couple of questions:
1) What the hell is that guitar - 9 pickups? Anyone know what the hell that thing is, or is it just cobbled together for the video?
2)Who is the chick in the background? She looks like she's wandered in from Robert Palmer's 'Addicted to Love' video.

is that song the highlight?

At least he's not doing that stupid running thing where he's struggling with a guitar carry case on this vid...

marr2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Although Mr. Marr's exploits don't normally interest me over and above articles here...
I would say, that for a bit of balance given the amount of pouring over Morrissey's later year rhyme schemes, there's some rather clichéd ones in this too.
Regards,
FWD.

I don't think Vegan will be quite so complimentary...
Of course!
Due to the dearth of Marr-related material lately, I had forgotton our Vegan's, ummm, dislike of a certain John Maher.
Although, TBH, it's pretty difficult to decipher his "posts" to begin with...

Never been that into Marrs solo stuff, besides “easy money” and this isn’t changing much. tuneless, singing is much of nothing and the video is downright strange, the poses, the random woman with the guitar, it’s all a bit much..,

Although Mr. Marr's exploits don't normally interest me over and above articles here...
I would say, that for a bit of balance given the amount of pouring over Morrissey's later year rhyme schemes, there's some rather clichéd ones in this too.
Regards,
FWD.
Yes, that's always been the problem with Marr's latest solo endeavours.
Despite the music usually being there, his vocals and lyrics are so nondescript that it's difficult to extract much emotion from his performances.
Even on his better tracks, he either ends up a poor man's Barney Sumner (see "New Town Velocity") or just drab dressing to an alright tune.
This may sound overly negative, but this has been my overall experience to date. Maybe things will change in the future!

Looks like he's been busy, a 4 track EP and a double album. I wonder if Bernard was involved at all as it has a bit of a sequencer thing going on in there.

Looks like he's been busy, a 4 track EP and a double album. I wonder if Bernard was involved at all as it has a bit of a sequencer thing going on in there.
It's a bit confusing in the article, but I think it's 4 x 4-track EPs which are also being branded as a double LP? Actually I have no idea.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom