Johnny Marr hasn't read Morrissey's "Autobiography"; new solo album in Sep.; book forthcoming - NME

I dunno, don't you think we could see the Morrissey album around the time of the US tour? Recorded in February, mixed and mastered in March, manufactured in April, released in May?

It seems quick, but doable. Why would Moz tour right before the record came out?

I dunno, don't you think we could see the Morrissey album around the time of the US tour? Recorded in February, mixed and mastered in March, manufactured in April, released in May?

It seems quick, but doable. Why would Moz tour right before the record came out?

He has definitely toured before records have come out, ie within the same year. It's too early in the morning to work out which ones though.

- marred.

Good catch. Check out that photo of Marr looking in a Domino's pizza box. If Marr is vegan, I hope he didn't eat the pizza because only Domino's glutton-free pizza can be made vegan and it only comes in a small and that pizza box looks bigger than small.

If this event stuck with Moz for so many years maybe it was the inspiration for YTOFMF. :p

Does anyone seriously believe Johnny hasn't read Autobiography yet... ;)

Oh yes.
Maybe he read bits of it on the Internet or in a bookshop and decided it wasn't for him.
You've got Book Clubs... and you've got this No-Book Club...

(Of course I won't read Johnny's either. Let's be serious for a minute.)

Then Marr calls one of his ticket purchasing customers a "fatty" to her face.

Which Moz finds hilarious. Let's face it, if there's one thing Johnny and Moz might still be able to bond over, it's in poking fun at fatties.

I'm sure he's at least flicked through the relevant pages, or had his people read through it on his behalf and tell him the details. But if there's one thing that's been noticable about Johnny in the last 5 years, he has been VERY diplomatic regarding Morrissey, and despite the best efforts of journalists he has been very determined not to get drawn into a slanging match in the press. What good would it do anyway? I'm sure he can save his side of the story for his own autobiography - which of course Morrissey can then pretend not to have read, whilst staying up all night under the duvet scouring every line for potential criticisms.

(Of course I won't read Johnny's either. Let's be serious for a minute.)

Why wouldn't you? Johnny actually understands that his Smiths songs are the best of his entire output, and is reverent when speaking about them.

Whereas diluted Moz thinks his current band is the best he has ever worked with, and his past 3 albums are better than the entire Smiths catalog.

I would much rather read what Johnny had to say about that time.

Maybe Johnny says he hasn't read it because it's easier than saying he did and then he gets asked a million questions about whether he liked it, was it accurate, etc. You would have to seriously not be interested in your ex-partner if you couldn't be bothered to read an autobiography that mentions you and has been on the bestseller list for a long time (i.e. read by many people). Why would you want to be the last person to read it? I don't believe his statement, no more than I believed that Moz had 'squinted across the room' at the Severed Alliance without actually reading it.

Come on, Saint Johnny wouldn't lie...

Morrissey: great lyrics and singing, so-so music
Marr: great music and guitar-playing, so-so lyrics and voice.

Yes - there's just no obvious solution, is there?

Good catch. Check out that photo of Marr looking in a Domino's pizza box. If Marr is vegan, I hope he didn't eat the pizza because only Domino's glutton-free pizza can be made vegan and it only comes in a small and that pizza box looks bigger than small.

Look out everyone. The vegan police are on patrol again.

I would much rather read what Johnny had to say about that time.

Well, I think Johnny will concentrate on the music, the writing and the recording, whereas Morrissey almost completely erased this from his side of the story. So it should be very interesting for this reason alone.

Why wouldn't you?

Well... If he sends it to me, then of course I will. :)

There might be interesting stuff about Electronic songs. I quite like Electronic, me. ;)
I'm not much interested in what the Smiths ate before recording "Meat is Mildred" or Johnny's collection of sunglasses. I know, I'm bad.

Well, it's impressive that Marr is considering bringing out a follow-up in September (although I'll believe it when I see it) but he'll have to seriously up his game with the quality of the songs.
His 2013 'campaign' was successful largely on the novelty of a musical legend bringing out his first proper solo album, and the brilliant Smiths and Electric songs he played live. The album was duff, to put it bluntly. Three good songs but tons of stuff that was virtually unlistenable. He won't be able to coast through album number 2 on reputation and goodwill alone. Still, if he can fill an album with songs as good as New Town Velocity it'll easily beat Morrissey's in the quality stakes.

And that's the irony of it all, huh? I'm not one of those that is dying to see a Smiths reunion but they would still combine based on your assessment (and mine) to make a great pairing... again.

Your opinion is not fact, ergo your conclusion is not only wrong but completely pointless.

This will be a minority opinion here, but, on the whole, I enjoyed The Messenger more than Years of Refusal and I'm looking forward to JM's second album more than the next Morrissey album. If the quality of The It-Switch is anything to go by, the goods will be delivered.

I didn't like a single song from his début. Where has Johnny Marr gone? His 1980's song writing has literally vanished. Could any of those songs have made a Smiths album or single? No.
I don't think Johnny Marr understands that this is the man most of the fans want him to be. We actually want Smiths sounding material. That's the whole point of him. That's how he created his name and why his legacy continues.

I didn't like a single song from his début. Where has Johnny Marr gone? His 1980's song writing has literally vanished. Could any of those songs have made a Smiths album or single? No.
I don't think Johnny Marr understands that this is the man most of the fans want him to be. We actually want Smiths sounding material. That's the whole point of him. That's how he created his name and why his legacy continues.

Some people are really silly to demand an artist to keep producing similar materials which they were drawn into his / her work.

I don't like some of Johnny's post-Smiths output, but glad he keeps trying to different things.

Some people are really silly to demand an artist to keep producing similar materials which they were drawn into his / her work.

I don't like some of Johnny's post-Smiths output, but glad he keeps trying to different things.

Not silly, he was bloody writing similar Smiths material until he scrapped it and never put it onto his album. Probably because it was too Smiths to go on it. The man simply can't write beautiful tunes. The Smiths music is beauty. That solo album isn't fit to lick The Smiths boots.

May-be the 2nd album will include the Smith riffs you so long for Davie . What do you mean by beautiful tunes ? The words ?

This will be a minority opinion here, but, on the whole, I enjoyed The Messenger more than Years of Refusal and I'm looking forward to JM's second album more than the next Morrissey album. If the quality of The It-Switch is anything to go by, the goods will be delivered.

The high points were certainly as good, if not better, than YOR. New Town Velocity is the best thing he or Morrissey has done this century.
European Me and the title song were really good too. But large chunks of it were unlistenable. Some (surprisingly) horrible music, and some (not-surprisingly) rubbish lyrics.
I would rather listen to it than the two worst Morrissey albums (Southpaw and Quarry) but I think the new Morrissey album will hopefully be better...

May-be the 2nd album will include the Smith riffs you so long for Davie . What do you mean by beautiful tunes ? The words ?

It's the guitars. I don't know how to explain it, but the Johnny Marr sound definitely has gone.

You're not the only one. I enjoyed The Messenger infinitely more than anything Morrissey has put out in awhile. JM live was thrilling to see as well.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom