Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

Serious question, do you fancy your self a psychoanalyst? Please dude, get a grip yourself.

I have my opinion, you have yours. Don’t read too much into my opinion and certainly spare the self-righteous judgement. You know nothing about me.

And the irony of your post is not missed - sit back and reflect why you had to respond to my post and then determine if you’re filling some void of your own by responding to a post that had nothing to do with you directly? I didn’t attack you - why attack me? You went out of your way to respond directly to me, not the other way around.

By the way, new Robyn single “Honey” is out today!!
Robyn sucks. Hard.

I love The Smiths. But I have no desire to see that fat old queen Morrissey huffing and puffing around the stage in his baggy jeans and tacky jewellery squawking out Smiths songs while Johnny bounces around in the background wearing his ridiculous wig and pretending it's still 1986.

They were great in their time. Let's leave it there.
Exactly. Songs about alienation and sexual longing are much more resonant when the singer looks like Elvis/James Dean and not a fat old guy, that's just human nature.

Exactly. Songs about alienation and sexual longing are much more resonant when the singer looks like Elvis/James Dean and not a fat old guy, that's just human nature.

I don't know, I thought it was very poignant when Moz did How Soon Is Now and he sang, "See I've already waited too long and most of my life is gone." It's resonant in a different way to an older audience.

To the original Vegan Cro - it looks like you have spent the whole day marking my posts as Troll. You are really flogging a dead horse mate :crazy:

His (her?) modus operandi is to post anything anti-Marr and islam. Nothing else matters. He has never posted anything about Morrissey. A true c***, if there ever was one.

If we're only going to get two of them performing together again, I'd rather it was Andy and Morrissey, or Andy and Marr. Either way, we MUST have Andy.

is this thread still going,give it a rest people.13 pages of marr can or cannot sing.

Unfortunately for him/her, the majority of people have them on ignore, so they are basically talking to their self. Funny thing is we have the original Vegan Cro, who was banned for his ridiculous verbal assault on David T, back on the site and the idiot who used his name while he was away at the same time? And then we have sheep like Thewlis who just follow their lead like a pathetic 5 year old.

Last edited:
Make your mind up, one minute you are saying -The only wish I have is to never hear Johnny Marr sing again. It is cruel and unusual punishment, now you are saying -Is Johnny Marr singing or flushing the toilet? I can not tell the difference. Do you listen to his music or not or are just one of those troll bell ends?

Why are you so belligerent? Listening to Johnny Marr sing is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Your response only goes to prove what a turd you really are.

I love The Smiths. But I have no desire to see that fat old queen Morrissey huffing and puffing around the stage in his baggy jeans and tacky jewellery squawking out Smiths songs while Johnny bounces around in the background wearing his ridiculous wig and pretending it's still 1986.

They were great in their time. Let's leave it there.

I would like to see morrissey and marr collaborate again rather than do a greatest Smiths tour. Looking at the cribs interview is painful when you look at the interviews from The Smiths era.

Both morrissey and marr have evolved since that time as solo artists, and yes they are both older.
I haven't seen a Johnny Marr concert though I will in November but Morrissey has only gotten better with time.
None of us are lanky teenagers anymore.
Insults about other people are a reflection of what we don't like when we look at ourselves. So maybe people on this site should go easier on themselves.

Why are you so belligerent? Listening to Johnny Marr sing is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Your response only goes to prove what a turd you really are.

why are they EVEN POSTING ABOUT:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: IN A MOZ FORUM???!!
on top of that they want peeps to pretend to like that sucko music of his.
Hi Hello and European Me are awful, I mean FFS why is such nonsense even
posted here.doh:

His (her?) modus operandi is to post anything anti-Marr and islam. Nothing else matters. He has never posted anything about Morrissey. A true c***, if there ever was one.

LOL quit trolling yourself:crazy:
You cant go wrong being anti :frogface:/Islam FFS they both are basically the same thing and both suck:bactriancamel::soccerball:

how can someone be posting after being 'banned', everybody knows its you trolling yourself under the various Skinny sock puppets you made up. JFC what a gay DORK this 'dude':lbf: is.

Super turd.:pileofpoop:
anyways if you focus on the video you will notice that DramaJ has to use a capo when trying to go beyond his one chicka chicak booom boom riff. Needless to say, Moz music is much move evolved and esoteric and philosophical and he cant have someone playing the guitar who is at grade capo level. cant have it cant be done.
the other LMWs cant even play their instruments anymore at all as there has been little if any interest in their musical services for many years.:clapperboard: thats it for them finito.:thumb:

Super turd.:pileofpoop:
anyways if you focus on the video you will notice that DramaJ has to use a capo when trying to go beyond his one chicka chicak booom boom riff. Needless to say, Moz music is much move evolved and esoteric and philosophical and he cant have someone playing the guitar who is at grade capo level. cant have it cant be done.
the other LMWs cant even play their instruments anymore at all as there has been little if any interest in their musical services for many years.:clapperboard: thats it for them finito.:thumb:

John Lennon used a capo on Girl.

You don't know much about music. Also your IP range is also Benny

is this thread still going,give it a rest people.13 pages of marr can or cannot sing.

My leap into multi-instrumentalism equals Johnny’s sky-dive into song, as he tackles his first ever vocalism. His tremulous quaver on Death at one’s elbow is a honeyed flow, although he insists that he cannot sing. (Autobiography) :p

John Lennon used a capo on Girl.

You don't know much about music. Also your IP range is also Benny

OH!! that solves our puzzle, DramaJ is dumbing down his guitar playing so as
to emulate Lennon mediocre chops!! Its so clear to all now.
:rolleyes:

o_O

Halal range is Skinny FFS
very much intellectuals these DramaJ aficionados.:lbf:

And, pray, what good has Morrissey ever said about Marr's post-Smiths output? I remember him saying something slightly mean about Electronic in 1991 but that's all I can think of.

What good is there to say about garbage? Morrissey was being kind by not saying much at all.

the word 'hater' has been around for many many years unlike 'skectchy' which is of very recent snowflake provenance.
o_O

taylor swift is up there in years and also has gained considerable weight as of late.:straightface:

Are you joking? "Hater" has only risen in popularity over the last ten years or so, if that. It seems to have become the go-to word to counter anyone that disagrees with them on about any subject.
Whereas "sketchy" has been around forever, certainly since I was a child, way back in the eighties.
But let's be honest, you are stuck so far up Morrissey's arse, that literally anything Johnny Marr says or does will evoke an instant response from you full of biased opinions, horrible grammar and those stupid f***ing emojis you use! You're not a schoolgirl, I'm assuming, so just cut that shit out!

why are they EVEN POSTING ABOUT:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: IN A MOZ FORUM???!!
on top of that they want peeps to pretend to like that sucko music of his.
Hi Hello and European Me are awful, I mean FFS why is such nonsense even
posted here.doh:

Thank you for your gentility. Surface the turd tried to silence my opinion when all I did was express my disdain for Johnny's singing. The truth won out in the end.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom