Johnny Marr - News At Ten - talks about reunion offers (October 21, 2021)

Usual Smiths references - Johnny is on the News At Ten (UK National News bulletin) shortly:

The above post was initially promoting the appearance on ITV and the text was subsequently changed.
News At Ten averages approx. 2.5 million viewers nightly.
FWD.

Edit:
Brief video clips, Morrissey mention by Nina.
Blossoms & Rick - the 'heads up would be nice' restated.
Couple of offers to reform - not as many as suggested.
Re: being offered any money to reform The Smiths:
'Because there has to be a friendship there... and the band aren't really friends.'

FWD.

I could understand asking reformation questions even 10 years ago, but why on earth would Marr at his age want to risk the Morrissey minefield, there's more relaxing ways to earn a crust with his talent and connections.

Still never going to happen although I could see Morrissey/Marr doing something at some point even if it's just joining each other on stage for a couple of songs.
Could be weird if Marr forgets and starts strangling a cat on stage (i.e. singing). Now that would be a great F U to the world if Moz came on stage mangling a guitar while Marr sings Smiths songs. Like listening to Smiths records being spat out of a wood chipper.

It will never, ever happen with the original line-up. That lingering hatred for Joyce, borne not of the court case, but more of a lover spurned, ensures it will never happen.
Oh Peter, do let it go...you are the only one who believes this nonsense and repeating it every few weeks simply makes you look more silly than usual. Which is pretty impressive.

Everyone* craved a Suede Brett/Butler reunion and when it happened it was a sub par record by The Tears. So many reunions are a waste of time and can't live up to the hype.
*When I say everyone I mean 10 or 20 people.

I think a sackful of money is the last reason either Johnny or Moz would reform the Smiths - neither of them need the cash that badly. To be honest, I think you'd have more luck asking them to reunite for free to play some benefit gig where the money went to some animal rights/vegetarianism charity.

I think a sackful of money is the last reason either Johnny or Moz would reform the Smiths - neither of them need the cash that badly. To be honest, I think you'd have more luck asking them to reunite for free to play some benefit gig where the money went to some animal rights/vegetarianism charity.

Yes, the question should have been "What would it take for the Smiths to reunite?"

Marr won't do it until/unless Morrissey unambiguously and publicly retracts his official support for a far-right political group, which he has yet to do. Marr is simply too decent a person to be associated with that ugly world, and as long as Morrissey remains a far-right sympathiser (on record at least), Marr gets to exclusivity soak up the huge amounts of positivity that surround the legacy of the Smiths.

Marr won't do it until/unless Morrissey unambiguously and publicly retracts his official support for a far-right political group, which he has yet to do. Marr is simply too decent a person to be associated with that ugly world, and as long as Morrissey remains a far-right sympathiser (on record at least), Marr gets to exclusivity soak up the huge amounts of positivity that surround the legacy of the Smiths.

Yeah, it's far too much of a risk for someone like Marr, and i don't think Morrissey would be able to resist using the spotlight for something unpleasant. If you want to hear the Smiths then just go to a Marr gig, he still has it. He can't sing like Mozzer but from my experience you get a lot more of the vibe from his shows than the other.

Yeah, it's far too much of a risk for someone like Marr, and i don't think Morrissey would be able to resist using the spotlight for something unpleasant. If you want to hear the Smiths then just go to a Marr gig, he still has it. He can't sing like Mozzer but from my experience you get a lot more of the vibe from his shows than the other.
what is this IT you talk about.

Nothing more boring than hearing about possible or impossible Smiths reunions. Give me a great Moz solo album and tour instead (with a good setlist).
Nothing more boring than hearing about possible or impossible Smiths reunions. Give me a great Moz solo album and tour instead (with a good setlist).
And nothing more boring than a Moz setlist these days!

Why are people surprised by comments like this? They haven’t been friends for over 30 years.

Yeah the band haven’t been friends.

There is a bond between people creating together. I don’t think mere friendship plays the only role in regards to what Morrissey and Marr had and to some extent could still have between each other.

if i see anyone i worked with 30 years ago i cross the road as quick as i can,wearing a mask is the best invention ever,you would have not one thing in common because you simply are not the same people you were 3 decades ago.

Could be weird if Marr forgets and starts strangling a cat on stage (i.e. singing). Now that would be a great F U to the world if Moz came on stage mangling a guitar while Marr sings Smiths songs. Like listening to Smiths records being spat out of a wood chipper.
The Smiths records being spat out by a wood-chipper is already well-documented. Melvis and his backing band have been doing it for years.

Johnny on News at Ten, that's a bit surprising. He is really going heavy with the PR. Shame they asked the same old questions and he had to give the same answers.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom