Johnny Marr playing "Bigmouth strikes again". First date of his solo tour,York 2013

Re: Johnny Marr playing "Bigmouth strikes again". First date of his solo tour,York 20

And what about this, posted elsewhere here - thought I'd append it to this thread. This is pretty bloody special.

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Johnny Marr playing "Bigmouth strikes again". First date of his solo tour,York 20

Great hearing these songs played by Johnny. He'll never be a strong vocalist, but I enjoyed the vocals on Stop Me nonetheless (and the guitar outro gave me shivers). Sounded like he was more into it than on Bigmouth.

Ew ez dis bloke dat tinks he can play smiths songs, eh?

I think they both sound incredible and also Forbidden city from his time in Electronic sounds even better than the original. And his solo album is in all honesty fantastic, It's a very long time since I have listened to an album as often as I am listening to "The Messenger". "New Town Velocity" is up there with my favorite Smiths tracks.

I think they both sound incredible and also Forbidden city from his time in Electronic sounds even better than the original. And his solo album is in all honesty fantastic, It's a very long time since I have listened to an album as often as I am listening to "The Messenger". "New Town Velocity" is up there with my favorite Smiths tracks.

^^^This, in spades^^^

P.

Johnny can't sing Bigmouth at all, but interesting to note he adopts Morrissey's later addition of "ipod" - almost like he's been paying attention.

Stop Me... is much better, mainly because he seems to be attempting a cod-Morrissey vocal pastiche at times.

I think he sounds great on both!

Johnny can't sing Bigmouth at all, but interesting to note he adopts Morrissey's later addition of "ipod" - almost like he's been paying attention.

Stop Me... is much better, mainly because he seems to be attempting a cod-Morrissey vocal pastiche at times.

I think he sings very well, he's not Morrissey, of course, and I don't think anybody's actually expecting him to sound as good as him but he is a competent singer. As for "ipod", I dont know whether he's listened to Morrissey singing the song or not but it's a good lyrical change. I'm pretty sure a lot of young people wouldn't even know what a 'walkman' is.

Not bad. Obviously he isn't Morrissey, but Morrissey has a very unique voice. Whoever covers these songs is never going to sound like him. Taking that into account not bad.

Well, at least one thing can't be denied and that is the fact that nobody plays his songs better than himself.

Last edited:

Marvellous!

I love the fact Johnny is playing Electronic tunes. I think he should play Disappointed and Getting Away With It as well. It would be so cool to hear rock versions of those tunes.

Slow Emotion Replay and Dashboard would be awesome too.

I think his album is amazing. Too many people (including the critics) are complaining about the lyrics and the vocals. This is Johnny, it isn't Moz and Jon. I like Johnny by himself just fine. If he wants to write great punky, upbeat rock songs, with a touch of jangle and easily digestible lyrics, good on him. I love Marc Bolan and Iggy Pop as well, and they somehow get a pass for their disposable lyrics.

This is gonna sound like a knock, but Lockdown really sounds like a lost Def Leppard track circa Pyromania. I love that album, that's when they got the heavy hooky glam sound perfect. After that, they became a overproduced band who made music only for their groupies.

And what about this, posted elsewhere here - thought I'd append it to this thread. This is pretty bloody special.

P.

Brilliant! :love:

Wonderful stuff.

Setlist

The Right Thing Right
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Upstarts
Sun & Moon
Forbidden City
Lockdown
Say Demesne
Generate! Generate!
The Messenger
I Want the Heartbeat
Bigmouth Strikes Again
New Town Velocity
Word Starts Attack
Encore:
It's my life
Getting Away With It
How Soon Is Now?
(The Smiths song)

(Leeds, 7 March)

The Smiths 'London'

New Town Velocity

Getting Away With It

Getting Away With It

He's so adorable!

Tags
bigmouth johnny marr live
Back
Top Bottom