Johnny Marr reviews books on The Smiths - BBC Radio 4

Johnny Marr reviews books on The Smiths - BBC Radio 4
Ahead of the publication of his autobiography, Johnny Marr gives his first broadcast interview to the Today programme on BBC Radio 4.

He met the BBC's Colin Paterson at Manchester’s Central Library, where he used to go when playing truant from school, and reviewed the books on the shelf dedicated to The Smiths.

(Photo: Johnny Marr standing next to a bookcase. Credit: BBC)

Release date:
31 October 2016
Duration:
2 minutes

39300_marr_bbcradio4.jpg

Also see forum post by Uncleskinny:

Johnny Marr's 'Set The Boy Free' Spotify playlist

Last edited by a moderator:
"Oh Mozzer's? No, I've not read that one yet, do you know why? So I don't have to answer stupid questions about it."

That made me smile.
And I love the way he refers to Moz there, very affectionate. After all these years, in spite of everything.

"Oh Mozzer's? No, I've not read that one yet, do you know why? So I don't have to answer stupid questions about it."

That made me smile.
And I love the way he refers to Moz there, very affectionate. After all these years, in spite of everything.

"Oh Johnny's? No, I've not read that one yet, do you know why? So I don't have to answer stupid questions about it."

If Moz had said it we would have pages of garbage by now.

"Oh Johnny's? No, I've not read that one yet, do you know why? So I don't have to answer stupid questions about it."

If Moz had said it we would have pages of garbage by now.

Yes. But also pages of many people defending him as I would defend Johnny Marr for saying what he did say.
Completely and utterly understandable.
Cheers

They made it some of the time. Until they would make it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. My point is that someone here, a regular contributor, literally made something up as a reflex response to defend Morrissey when he wasn't even the subject. A ridiculous, defend-at-all-costs, they've-all-got-it-in-for-me position, with zero logicality. And I bet you 100% this will get thrown back at me with the same non-existent accusations. Just you watch. Anyway, in summary - arseholes.

I'm not sure what you mean here. My point is that someone here, a regular contributor, literally made something up as a reflex response to defend Morrissey when he wasn't even the subject. A ridiculous, defend-at-all-costs, they've-all-got-it-in-for-me position, with zero logicality. And I bet you 100% this will get thrown back at me with the same non-existent accusations. Just you watch. Anyway, in summary - arseholes.

Yes they would say that. Then they would see that to.

And yet it's completely tolerated, even encouraged, when people rip on Morrissey for things that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. Literally posts where Morrissey has simply existed in a photo and here we have people banging on about cheese and crowd size and stuff. Of course it's going to be thrown back in your face because it's a completely hypocritical position for you to take when you have such bias. Just look at the number of posters you see over and over do this exact same thing. You can start with your attack dog Benny for starters.

There's a lot of interest in this guy because he was the Smiths (a band Morrissey was in between 1982-87).

And yet it's completely tolerated, even encouraged, when people rip on Morrissey for things that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. Literally posts where Morrissey has simply existed in a photo and here we have people banging on about cheese and crowd size and stuff. Of course it's going to be thrown back in your face because it's a completely hypocritical position for you to take when you have such bias. Just look at the number of posters you see over and over do this exact same thing. You can start with your attack dog Benny for starters.

There is no bias, you just think there is. We don't censor. Your position seems to be - being nasty to everyone but Morrissey=OK; being nasty to Morrissey=Not OK. It's all comment whether you like 0r agree with it or not. So stop whining. And post what the hell you like. Because I and everyone on this site encourage you to.

you sound mad

You sort of proved their point by jumping up to call them a wanker, and here come the "pages of garbage."
I don't know what a non-existent accusation is. Will this do? :thumb:

Thanks for the lesson. What would we do without informative posts like this?

Thanks, man. Actually, there's a lot more history on the Smiths via the Net if you use search engines (e.g. Lycos or HotBot) and type something like 'the Smiths Morrissey' into the search box. I know sometimes people don't get it and what I do is make it easier for fans to assimilate...

That's not a great bookshelf. Plenty of other good Moz/Smiths books not mentioned like Len Brown's 'meetings with Morrissey' or the Mozipedia or countless others. At least it does have the Bernard Sumner autobiography.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom