Johnny Marr slams "Classically Smiths" in Mojo interview

Johnny Marr slams ex-bandmates - The List
Johnny Marr has slammed the former members of The Smiths who planned to tour a classical version of the group's hits this year

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr has blasted his former Smiths bandmates over their reunion project.

The iconic group announced earlier this year they were to reunite as Classically Smiths without the guitarist and frontman Morrissey for a series of orchestral shows with occasional guitarist Craig Gannon but axed the gigs after bassist Andy Rourke denied his involvement, prompting drummer Mike Joyce to pull out.

And now Johnny has admitted their proposal felt like being "burgled" by a former acquaintance and slammed his ex-bandmates for "plundering" their legacy.

He told MOJO magazine: "What a farce. That was so obviously about money.

"The legacy was being plundered.

"I wasn't consulted and that tells you all you need to know, I think.

"It felt like being burgled by someone you used to know. It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but its OK when you and Morrissey cover Smiths' songs, right Johnny?
Well yes, they wrote them and compose the music. They have more right than the other two, who were just players in the band.

This is bad form on Johnny's part. Why couldn't he encourage them to do these shows and wish them luck.
Who or what would they be plundering. Andy had been involved but pulled out mysteriously. Is this the same Johnny that wanted to short change them in a huge way back in the day. They don't have to inform you if they know you'll say no. Bad form Johnny.

Since Johnny seems fine with Smiths cover bands - I've heard him praising them, I think the problem he has with Classically Smiths is how badly it was executed:

1) that they didn't get Andy on board
2) no one spoke to him about it
3) the whole press release implying that the Smiths were reforming
4) everything fell apart in a day

I mean if that's not a "fiasco" I don't know what is. And the whole failed project reflected badly on the Smiths.

Johnny Marr has turned nasty with these recent comments about his former bandmates.
New theory?
Morrissey has only made all of these controversial comments to destroy The Smiths legacy and finally put the last nail in the coffin as to hopes of some kind of phony reunion. Johnny obviously knows this and that's why the Mr Nice Guy act has vanished.

It's good for everybody. I think Johnny should write some honest music instead of this hippy-dippy far out stuff he's been putting out. The lyrics aren't "bad" so much as they're just totally incoherent. Like pass the bong, brother, that was deep. No. Ditch the weed and let your inner Lou Reed come out, Johnny.

I don't think Marr has any qualm about Rourke/Joyce physically playing the songs live. If Dolores O'Riordan had not passed and her project D.A.R.K. with Andy had played some Smiths songs, it would've been a non-issue for Johnny.

I think Johnny is commenting on the tackiness of how the Classically Smiths project was presented and what it was intended to be: Replacing Morrissey and Marr with guest vocalists, Gannon, and an orchestra and trading off the Smiths' name. Hell, even if Rourke and Joyce (and Gannon!) got together for a new project under a completely different name and threw a few Smiths' covers in the set, I really doubt Marr'd give a shit.

No, I just don't like you much, so my interactions with you are "civil" at best, though I do think you're a dick.

And your thoughts of me, which I don’t give a shit about btw, has what to do with Phil Collins?

Oh, thats right...nothing.

I desperately wanted to go to that, such excitement when it was announced. I was too young to see The Smiths, and classical with half of them was better than nothing for me.

It’s pretty clear Marr is now done with any notion of a reunion due to Moz’s recent behaviour, so expect more of these kind of interviews. His diplomacy is done. it’s quite refreshing really, no more tip toeing on certain subjects.

I desperately wanted to go to that, such excitement when it was announced. I was too young to see The Smiths, and classical with half of them was better than nothing for me.

It’s pretty clear Marr is now done with any notion of a reunion due to Moz’s recent behaviour, so expect more of these kind of interviews. His diplomacy is done. it’s quite refreshing really, no more tip toeing on certain subjects.

Actually the interview above has nothing to do with Morrissey. He disses the band and not Moz. He essentially says that he and Moz got the band going. "It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

There is much more to life than being in a band. Move on you bores. LIVE.:rock:

It was with the same line up that play Hacienda Classical shows and they sell out arenas nationwide. It would have been a massive success,

Here they are with their version of Blue Monday at The Royal Albert Hall

The music is good but Hooky is dire on vocals as usual.

Johnny Marr has turned nasty with these recent comments about his former bandmates.
New theory?
Morrissey has only made all of these controversial comments to destroy The Smiths legacy and finally put the last nail in the coffin as to hopes of some kind of phony reunion. Johnny obviously knows this and that's why the Mr Nice Guy act has vanished.

It's good for everybody. I think Johnny should write some honest music instead of this hippy-dippy far out stuff he's been putting out. The lyrics aren't "bad" so much as they're just totally incoherent. Like pass the bong, brother, that was deep. No. Ditch the weed and let your inner Lou Reed come out, Johnny.
Morrissey and Marr are doing a gig in 2019. Manchester, probably not. New York, probably so. By hook or by crook you need to book. :guitar::)

This is about Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon. Andy wasn't involved. You're mistaken if you think Morrissey wouldn't take the opportunity to insult Mike Joyce over this and Craig Gannon for that matter. They both sued the Smiths for money and won.
when it first broke on here andy was involved and it was the next day I think andy said he had no knowledge of it.did Morrissey come out and slate classically smiths at the time,no he didn't.

A bit harsh. What was the harm in orchestral versions of Smiths songs with some former members? I think Johnny needs to relax a bit there. He created amazing music with one of the best bands ever, but they weren't out curing cancer or feeding the starving. It's just a concert.

You know with all this drama I'm getting a bit fed up with The Smiths right now, and am back listening to my vinyls of The Cure. I listened to '17 Seconds', '$ornography', 'Head on the door' and 'The Top' back to back last night with a beer. Pure heaven. Without the drama. Vote me 'off topic' if you like but I'm getting fed up of this 'Smiths legacy' crap. I think Johnny complaining about the legacy is harming it too.
Wow, either that was some size of beer or you’re a very slow drinker

All you need to know is mathematics. MATHEMATICS are NEVER WRONG.
Lets use Mathematics to find out who is the suckiest former Smith.
ADD all the Sucky Moz albums-0
ADD up all the Sucky Lawnmower albums-0 they got none lol:laughing:
ADD UP ALL THE SUCKO DRAMA J ALBUMS-7!!!!! WOW 7!!

:frogface:=SUCKIEST ACCORDING TO SCIENCE.:bow:

DRAMA J SHOULD ZIP IT IN VIEW OF HIS SUCKINESS.:censored:

Actually the interview above has nothing to do with Morrissey. He disses the band and not Moz. He essentially says that he and Moz got the band going. "It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

I know what he said, I’m meaning coupled with the other recent interview. Just looks like he has given up on there ever being a smiths reunion and now he’s just going for it. Less holding back.

when it first broke on here andy was involved and it was the next day I think andy said he had no knowledge of it.did Morrissey come out and slate classically smiths at the time,no he didn't.

I'm pretty sure Johnny didn't bring it up in the article, it was the interviewer. Why would he comment on it now? I'm saying if Morrissey was asked about it - he wouldn't mince words either.

Also, seen on this forum, just before the whole thing happened, Johnny was seen in New York celebrating Andy's birthday with him at a restaurant. It was probably discussed at that time.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom