Johnny Marr slams "Classically Smiths" in Mojo interview

Johnny Marr slams ex-bandmates - The List
Johnny Marr has slammed the former members of The Smiths who planned to tour a classical version of the group's hits this year

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr has blasted his former Smiths bandmates over their reunion project.

The iconic group announced earlier this year they were to reunite as Classically Smiths without the guitarist and frontman Morrissey for a series of orchestral shows with occasional guitarist Craig Gannon but axed the gigs after bassist Andy Rourke denied his involvement, prompting drummer Mike Joyce to pull out.

And now Johnny has admitted their proposal felt like being "burgled" by a former acquaintance and slammed his ex-bandmates for "plundering" their legacy.

He told MOJO magazine: "What a farce. That was so obviously about money.

"The legacy was being plundered.

"I wasn't consulted and that tells you all you need to know, I think.

"It felt like being burgled by someone you used to know. It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit harsh. What was the harm in orchestral versions of Smiths songs with some former members? I think Johnny needs to relax a bit there. He created amazing music with one of the best bands ever, but they weren't out curing cancer or feeding the starving. It's just a concert.

You know with all this drama I'm getting a bit fed up with The Smiths right now, and am back listening to my vinyls of The Cure. I listened to '17 Seconds', '$ornography', 'Head on the door' and 'The Top' back to back last night with a beer. Pure heaven. Without the drama. Vote me 'off topic' if you like but I'm getting fed up of this 'Smiths legacy' crap. I think Johnny complaining about the legacy is harming it too.

Sounds like a nice evening - hope it was more than one beer. :)

I know what he said, I’m meaning coupled with the other recent interview. Just looks like he has given up on there ever being a smiths reunion and now he’s just going for it. Less holding back.

I know what you mean. It's almost like Johnny used to be afraid to say anything remotely negative about Morrissey or even discuss him at all - you can see it in old interviews. I remember one where he was asked something Smiths-related and he said, "you'll have to ask so-and-so about that." Then he was asked, "who's so-and-so?" Visibly uncomfortable he replied, "you know who I mean." The exchange was something along those lines. Maybe it's age or writing his book, but he seems a lot less restrained now. I think it's a good thing, but it makes me wonder if was intentionally being careful just in case they (he and Morrissey) worked together again.

I know what you mean. It's almost like Johnny used to be afraid to say anything remotely negative about Morrissey or even discuss him at all - you can see it in old interviews. I remember one where he was asked something Smiths-related and he said, "you'll have to ask so-and-so about that." Then he was asked, "who's so-and-so?" Visibly uncomfortable he replied, "you know who I mean." The exchange was something along those lines. Maybe it's age or writing his book, but he seems a lot less restrained now. I think it's a good thing, but it makes me wonder if was intentionally being careful just in case they (he and Morrissey) worked together again.

Just because you reminded me of it, and I hadn't watched it in awhile (around 9:48):

Marr’s had a good few years. He’s launched his solo career properly at last, his autobiography was well received (and very good) and maybe that’s helped to give him the courage to start to say what he really thinks. This classical Smiths thing was DOA. A truly terrible idea.

One of the best things about the Smiths is that they won’t be getting back together. They were there for five years and then they weren’t. Besides, if they did what would be the point? It would be like the Led Zep reunion - down to the drummer’s son having to stand in probably.

You’d need a black Amex card to stand outside in the rain getting to watch Tim Lovejoy waltz in in his Fall t-shirt. “What’s yer favourite Fall album, Tim?” you’d shout. “Definitely Greatest Hits.” he’d reply, with a broad grin and two thumbs up.

He’d then turn to his mate conspiratorially and whisper “So, then, the Spliffs... What do I need to know?”

Marr’s had a good few years. He’s launched his solo career properly at last, his autobiography was well received (and very good) and maybe that’s helped to give him the courage to start to say what he really thinks. This classical Smiths thing was DOA. A truly terrible idea.

One of the best things about the Smiths is that they won’t be getting back together. They were there for five years and then they weren’t. Besides, if they did what would be the point? It would be like the Led Zep reunion - down to the drummer’s son having to stand in probably.

You’d need a black Amex card to stand outside in the rain getting to watch Tim Lovejoy waltz in in his Fall t-shirt. “What’s yer favourite Fall album, Tim?” you’d shout. “Definitely Greatest Hits.” he’d reply, with a broad grin and two thumbs up.

He’d then turn to his mate conspiratorially and whisper “So, then, the Spliffs... What do I need to know?”

Johnny's autobiography was well received because it is dull and conventional. There is nothing original about it, no risks were being taken, he played it save. This is how you receive whitespread praise today.

what we have now is grandstanding, where celebrities who know they have a forum so they have a speech in their head but acts as if its spontaneous,OPRAH WINFREY at the golden globes,you can see it with SIR GARETH OF SOUTHGATE,standing on an empty pitch when the only people around are photographers,its happening all the time now.some of the lines in johnboys spech against andy and mike is grandstanding.

Johnny's autobiography was well received because it is dull and conventional. There is nothing original about it, no risks were being taken, he played it save. This is how you receive whitespread praise today.

He told his story as he perceived it, I suppose. Ok, it wasn’t Black Hawk Down, but if he felt any anger towards Morrissey by the time he came to write it what would have been the point in digging it all up? It might be rather different if written today.

I love Morrissey! I don't care for any of the other former members of The Smiths anymore.

I used to think that Johnny Marr was ok but I don't like his recent comments regarding Morrissey.

This whole 'Classically Smiths' thing was a disaster from start to finish. Just three greedy people Joyce, Gannon and Rourke wanting to make a fast buck.

Yes, Morrissey's untenable statements, blah blah blah.
But Johnny's piety is starting to grate.

Yes, he can be a bit precious, but that comes with the running/vegan lifestyle.

Why did the vegan cross the road?

To tell you he was a vegan.

In Autobiography, Morrissey hit the nail on the head when it came to Johnny - in spite of obviously loving him and thinking highly of him. Johnny will say whatever he thinks people want to hear, 'wanting anything at all but the disapproval of total strangers." He's the nicest guy in the world, but one man's diplomacy is another man's cowardice and he rarely sticks up for anyone. Maybe it's a good thing that he's being more frank these days

Excuse my english but what does f***in' mean ' under his chin like a square' ?

And Mount Bassmore is for Rushmore ?

Thanks my child
Figure one

main-qimg-9e20c7f87242d4730e0870035026a8f2.jpeg

Figure two

hqdefault-15.jpg

It amazes me to think that any fan could listen to say, The Queen Is Dead (the track) and say that any of the four were weak or even mediocre on it.

Yes, I think Mike’s looped drums on that track are perfect!

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom