Johnny Marr talks about the Smiths breakup in Rolling Stone Music Now podcast

If you think Moz's music is shite then why are you on 'Morrissey'-solo? I'll keep my reply short because nobody likes reading a long winded verbal fart like you squeezed out twice.

Where does it state that Morrissey Solo is an appreciation forum?

I'm not sure what made my post so 'hateful'. It was just a comment. Of course you can't say anything these days without being branded by someone. If Johnny wants to avoid answering endless Smiths questions he could just stipulate to interviewers that he won't answer Smiths questions or personal questions about family, etc etc. Reckon I'll be attacked for saying that too.
But that's silly. Like Mozzer once said "The past is myself". Would be silly, after all these years, to start to avoid one's past. Okay, if it was 1987-88 and he was fresh out of The Smiths wanting to focus on other stuff. I'm sure both Marr and Moz are immensly proud of that band, and even though they both probably would prefer to focus on their present they won't mind to talk a bit about their legendary past.
So to blame the subject for the questions asked by the interviewers is really just silly and ill-willed.

Last edited:
It just makes much more sense to invest time and energy on things you love rather things you loathe or don't care for. Especially when it comes to fan forums.
What other things that you don't enjoy do you willingly indulge in on a daily basis? Is this a common trait, would you say?
Have you tried investing time and energy in things you actually like? If so, how did that feel?

I for one would feel absolutely demolished having to spend hours upon hours every day on a Bieber or Swedish House Mafia forum. It would be torture. To me it sounds endlessly stupid.

It just makes much more sense to invest time and energy on things you love rather things you loathe or don't care for. Especially when it comes to fan forums.
What other things that you don't enjoy do you willingly indulge in on a daily basis? Is this a common trait, would you say?
Have you tried investing time and energy in things you actually like? If so, how did that feel?

I for one would feel absolutely demolished having to spend hours upon hours every day on a Bieber or Swedish House Mafia forum. It would be torture. To me it sounds endlessly stupid.

Because I am allowed to have an opinion. If Echo and The Bunnymen or New Order release something that in my opinion I don’t like, I will say so on those forums, therefore I will do the same on a Morrissey forum. Problem with Morrissey is that he spouts so much shit that I don’t agree with and he tells lies, so I tend to be more vocal on here than the other ones. Hopefully that makes sense?

On another note I’ve just had a text telling me that 39 years ago tonight, along with my mates I saw Joy Division supporting Buzzcocks at the Manchester Apollo. That makes me feel old and after the gig we were discussing how shite JD were. It seems really odd that nowadays Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook are my near neighbours, funny how life works out?

Last edited:
If you think Moz's music is shite then why are you on 'Morrissey'-solo? I'll keep my reply short because nobody likes reading a long winded verbal fart like you squeezed out twice.
Why do I come here? What a daft question. ...like asking a neurological researcher why they continue to study the brain.

I'm here to observe the downfall of a former hero of mine. I'm here to watch it all. ...to watch his formerly creative power give way to populist pap. ...to watch the well-earned degradation of fame and adulation into the slack-jawed yokelism of a few tiny, pea-brained fawns, like yourself.

Don't like it? File a complaint bitch. ...but get in line and bring a lunch.

Apparently Morrissey is now the rube twit's pinnacle of the defense of free speech. This is MY free speech. It's empirically verifiable and quantifiable. You, on the other hand, have nothing but ball-washing apologism and half-wit tribalism in your court.

Suck it up, li'l pony. You're firing on half-cilinders and well beyond your pay-grade.

I've often commented about something that I don't like that Moz does or says. I've sometimes slated some songs. But that anonymous poster said that Moz's music is 'shite. He didn't specify a song or album(s) so I assume he meant them all. Which begs the question: why waste time on a site that is about Morrissey. That would be like me posting on an Elton John or Little Mix website. I just wouldn't because it would be pointless.

Because I am allowed to have an opinion. If Echo and The Bunnymen or New Order release something that in my opinion I don’t like, I will say so on those forums, therefore I will do the same on a Morrissey forum. Problem with Morrissey is that he spouts so much shit that I don’t agree with and he tells lies, so I tend to be more vocal on here than the other ones. Hopefully that makes sense?

On another note I’ve just had a text telling me that 39 years ago tonight, along with my mates I saw Joy Division supporting Buzzcocks at the Manchester Apollo. That makes me feel old and after the gig we were discussing how shite JD were. It seems really odd that nowadays Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook are my near neighbours, funny how life works out?
Moz talks a lot of crap these days. And I don't mind saying that. I'll be surprised if the covers album is worth buying, but am hoping to eat my words on that.
As an aside: I was on the New Order website yesterday and Barney Sumner recommended a new album called 'Fragments' by a band called Stolen. It's on Spotify and is amazing. Mark Reeder worked on it.

Nobody has ever refused anyone here to have an opinion. Some of you seem all too eager to play that (useless) card time and time again. That and the free speech one. Utterly useless since there is no one who disagrees with you (re having an opinion).
And yes, feel free to say what you please, but often times you (not you Surface specifically, btw) don't come across as having a very nuanced view on things; it's mostly Moz is shit (IE mostly negative stuff), which seems weird. A lot of energy and time spent on stuff you don't like.

The most note worthy thing about that anecdote is that Hooky and Barney are near neighbours and still can not reconcile. Sad.

Nobody has ever refused anyone here to have an opinion. Some of you seem all too eager to play that (useless) card time and time again. That and the free speech one. Utterly useless since there is no one who disagrees with you (re having an opinion).
And yes, feel free to say what you please, but often times you (not you Surface specifically, btw) don't come across as having a very nuanced view on things; it's mostly Moz is shit (IE mostly negative stuff), which seems weird. A lot of energy and time spent on stuff you don't like.

The most note worthy thing about that anecdote is that Hooky and Barney are near neighbours and still can not reconcile. Sad.
I think one of the unique things about Morrissey is that he remains quite fascinating, despite the quality of his output. He's magnetic when he's good, and he's still quite interesting when he's rubbish. I can't think of any other artist like that. Speaking personally, that's what keeps me logging in here (as well as the delightful company), even though I don't like a lot of his current material and think some of his public statements are embarrassing. That, and hoping, always hoping, that it's not too late for something better.

I understand that he’s gonna get asked a lot and that if he wants interviews for his new albums he’ll probably have to agree to answering in some fashion but I’m really bored of marr talking about the smiths. I’d rather hear him talk about architecture

I think one of the unique things about Morrissey is that he remains quite fascinating, despite the quality of his output. He's magnetic when he's good, and he's still quite interesting when he's rubbish. I can't think of any other artist like that. Speaking personally, that's what keeps me logging in here (as well as the delightful company), even though I don't like a lot of his current material and think some of his public statements are embarrassing. That, and hoping, always hoping, that it's not too late for something better.
I definitely see what you're saying here.

If Johnny wants to avoid answering endless Smiths questions he could just stipulate to interviewers that he won't answer Smiths questions or personal questions about family, etc etc. Reckon I'll be attacked for saying that too.

I think that Johnny is self-aware that the curiosity is never going to go away but he appears steadfast - as is his right - to answer these questions in his own way, to whatever degree of detail (or lack thereof) that he feels comfortable with. I think the vehemence of his responses to the RS interviewer speak to the gravity of the underlying issues that caused the split.

And Johnny doesn't seem one to set frameworks & limitations on his interviews. That's more in line with a certain someone else's approach these days.

I think that Johnny is self-aware that the curiosity is never going to go away but he appears steadfast - as is his right - to answer these questions in his own way, to whatever degree of detail (or lack thereof) that he feels comfortable with. I think the vehemence of his responses to the RS interviewer speak to the gravity of the underlying issues that caused the split.

And Johnny doesn't seem one to set frameworks & limitations on his interviews. That's more in line with a certain someone else's approach these days.
I agree with all of that, and I was also struck by the vehemence, which made me sad. Like you say, it made one aware of the strength of feeling about the issues, even now. I'm not holding out for a reunion but I do wish they were at least friends.

I think it's notable that the one thing Johnny doesn't do is produce a litany of Morrissey's (or anyone else's) crimes - he's clearly decided long ago that he's not going to go there (even though I bet he's got plenty of material). Sliiiiigghtly disappointing on the gossip front, but infinitely more classy.

I think it's notable that the one thing Johnny doesn't do is produce a litany of Morrissey's (or anyone else's) crimes - he's clearly decided long ago that he's not going to go there (even though I bet he's got plenty of material). Sliiiiigghtly disappointing on the gossip front, but infinitely more classy.

It's part and parcel of not answering the questions directly. If he starts listing reasons, he knows that doing so will create its own "news cycle" and he'll be responding to follow-up questions ad nauseum rather than talk about Call The Comet or whatever his latest project may be. The more specific he opts to be, the more air it sucks out of the room. He's stuck with a really (I have to imagine) aggravating paradox: "Things are really great for you and you must be excited about the new album. BUT let's talk about you and your ex-partner yet again."

Nobody ever mentions that The Smiths could have degenerated into a shit band if they had gone on for much longer. I think the signs were there with a couple of Strangeways songs like Death At One's Elbow. Marr wrote a fair amount of crap songs after that (apart from helping The The). We'll never know. To me, Strangeways is their weakest studio album despite a few great songs on it like I Won't Share You, Last Night I Dreamt.

Bravo

Yes literally a mile apart and it’s only a small village so god knows how they avoid each other? I genearally see Barney in Waitrose buying stuff for a barbecue in Summer (I think he spends winter time sailing on his yacht) I see Hooky a lot more as he walks his dogs in the park and I hear him rehearsing a lot with The Light as he has a rehearsal studio behind his house,

he has nothing going.

You mean apart from being in the middle of a rapturously received tour promoting his highly-reviewed album Call the Comet? Releasing a new single "Spiral Cities" imminently, already getting BBC airplay? Having just received a Lifetime Achievement award from GQ? Releasing his signature Fender Jaguar in Lake Placid Blue this year?

Also it's his birthday today, be nice!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom