Johnny Marr: 'The Smiths might reform' NME website

The terrible thing is that Morrissey and Marr onstage together wouldn't just not match up to how the Smiths were, they wouldn't match up to how Morrissey is now.

Sacrilege? But it's true!

Morrissey and Marr getting together onstage for a cobbled together few shows when they haven't worked together for twenty years (perhaps with half of Morrissey's now backup band as support) would probably be a musical disaster in technical terms at least.

You really think so? I think the two of them could pick it right back up immediately. And they'd rehearse anyway.

However, I'm basically in agreement-- they wouldn't recapture the glory days of The Smiths. I suspect they wouldn't even come close. But they wouldn't be a disaster, technically or otherwise.

One area I'd be intrigued about, though: keyboards. Since Morrissey has added keyboards his live sound has gotten much fuller and textured. I'd be interested to see how Johnny used The Hated Salford Ensemble in a live Smiths set. I thought "Death Of A Disco Dancer" sounded great with Morrissey's band, but with Johnny jamming over some keyboard effects-- wow.

Last edited:
Anderson and Butler was a commercial and critical flop. That's not to say some people didn't enjoy the songs but it was a big failure compared to the achievements of prime-time Suede...

Very few reformations emulate the success enjoyed in their heyday...I don't what magazines you read, but The Tears were a critical success, they enjoyed top 10 success with Refugees and the album reached the top 20. Anyway Anderson & Butler's reunion was more of a case of burying the hatchet, which I guess would be what a Smiths reunion would be. That's what I meant by success

Yes, Moz is nothing without Johnny. But Johnny is definitely something without Moz, though. Sorry.

Yeah okay, you might not like his solo stuff, but the above is complete rubbish. I think you will find Morrissey has had alot more success since The Smiths, than Johnny has.

Oh and I doubt a renunion would ever happen, so I don't think too much about it.

Morrissey and Marr getting together onstage for a cobbled together few shows when they haven't worked together for twenty years (perhaps with half of Morrissey's now backup band as support) would probably be a musical disaster in technical terms at least.
Pink Floyd reunion for Live 8 wasn't a disaster.
Anderson and Butler reforming was quite successful I thought. Here Come The Tears was a great album. Perhaps Morrissey & Marr under an assumed name like The Joneses or The Davies :p. But seriously, I would love to see The Smiths reform as I was only a nipper when they broke up...
I was about to mention these. I would like something of the kind. A new band. If they decided to write some new stuff they shouldn't use the name Smiths, ever.
What Johnny Marr said was very sensible, whilst saying nothing at the same time.
Good post. :)
Anderson and Butler was a commercial and critical flop. That's not to say some people didn't enjoy the songs but it was a big failure compared to the achievements of prime-time Suede...
Who cares if it's not as good as the "prime-time Suede". If they Moz and Marr did something together now (or in the next years) it obviously wouldn't be as good as The Smiths, but it would be better than what they did or what they could do without each other, or at least it's what I hope.

Yes, Moz is nothing without Johnny. But Johnny is definitely something without Moz, though.

Jay, is that you???

All I have to say to dispute this ridiculous contention is... Johnny Marr plays with Modest Mouse. Yeah, that's some great "success" he's had post-Smiths, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I would love to see Morrissey & Marr record together again (as Morrissey & Marr, not as The Smiths. The Smiths Is Dead.) I think they're a lot like Lennon & McCartney in that they brought out the best in one another. I think a reunion between those two would be a success. It may not hit the heights of The Smiths, but I think they would both be inspired by the other to try much harder than they have in recent years. Only good can come from that.

Hey lay the f*** off of modest mouse! you know nothing about them i bet..and they are f***in great and its better they are still on the dlow!

as for johnny and joining back up with moz and shit..it aint gonna happen..this is just another way of him deflecting the damn stupid question he is asked constantly ..jesus give the guy a break!

ps moz is still a disgusting twat

Hey lay the f*** off of modest mouse! you know nothing about them i bet..and they are f***in great and its better they are still on the dlow!

as for johnny and joining back up with moz and shit..it aint gonna happen..this is just another way of him deflecting the damn stupid question he is asked constantly ..jesus give the guy a break!

Morrissey Solo laughs at you.

Again you singlehandedly put us off from modest mouse and Johnny Marr.
Well done.

good! because im happy if they dont have fans that are so easily influenced and cant think for themselves:rolleyes:

good! because im happy if they dont have fans that are so easily influenced and cant think for themselves:rolleyes:

because you possess the ability to think, yeah?
then why do you think it´s a good idea to come on a site called morrissey-solo? oh wait.. maybe you just don´t have a life. go you.

anyway..

i can´t believe anyone turned this comment into a big headline.. there was no promise or anything, i don´t think it should get as much attention as it does.

Back
Top Bottom