Johnny Marr tweets response to Smiths reunion rumours

Link via @ordinaryboy86:

Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...smiths-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage-on-guitar

Johnny Marr responds to Smiths reunion rumours with swipe at Morrissey's political stance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-morrissey-nigel-farage-guitar-a9189001.html

"Nigel Farage on guitar": Johnny Marr responds to The Smiths reunion rumours

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the-smiths/johnny-marr-responds-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage/

Johnny Marr has quashed rumours The Smiths are set to reunite

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...quashed-rumours-The-Smiths-are-set-to-reunite

Johnny Marr commnets on rumours of The Smiths reunion with right-wing Morrissey jibe

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-reunion-morrissey-johnny-marr/

Johnny Marr Shoots Down Rumors of a Smiths Reunion with Morrissey

http://floodmagazine.com/71141/johnny-marr-shoots-down-rumors-of-a-smiths-reunion-with-morrissey/

Johnny Marr breaks silence on Smiths reunion rumours with Nigel Farage jibe

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-breaks-silence-smiths-17216239.amp

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
He was pretty effusive about Farage some time ago. But there was then a split in UKIP between the casual racists and the more committed racists, leading to For Britain being formed as a splinter group, which Morrissey obviously found more attractive.

He wasn't. He appears to have been only interested in UKIP because Anne Marie was either a friend or someone he'd somehow heard of. It would be interesting to know how that link was formed.

Just about all the shows SOLD OUT it was a huge success. After you Skinny predicted that all shows would be empty.
The Marr tour, thats another story, failure from beginning to end.

It's impossible to paper every venue to that extent. It must still be selling well enough to be viable. He's in crisis, but he's survived this bit & the Marr coverage is actually a good sign that love him or hate him, they want to read about him.

Not to be mean to Marr, but without Morrissey or The Smiths there's nothing of his life or solo career that would make news.

Just about all the shows SOLD OUT it was a huge success. After you Skinny predicted that all shows would be empty.
The Marr tour, thats another story, failure from beginning to end.

And there you have it from the mouth of a fool - the tour did not sell out. Morrissey - before his racist ways - would have sold out all dates in mere minutes. Tickets were available for all shows each night.

In the context of what he said, it wasn't him being a fan. He said No when asked.

"In the context of what he said". In the context to which you allude he cited Farage as a good PM and liberal educator. Both definitions of praise.

"In the context of what he said". In the context to which you allude he cited Farage as a good PM and liberal educator. Both definitions of praise.

Really not if you won't vote for them & don't like politicians in general. For whatever reason, it's only Anne Marie that he's enthralled by. Some Irish connection, maybe?

Really not if you won't vote for them & don't like politicians in general. For whatever reason, it's only Anne Marie that he's enthralled by. Some Irish connection, maybe?

Hmmm ... on a merry-go-round are we?
I think you'll find he praised Farage. You can obfuscate all you want. The comments - directly attributable to Morrissey - are available for all to see. Your interpretation of what you think Morrissey actually said is refundant and more than a little cloying.

Mr. Marr is a warm individual with a keen sense of humour. He captured the mood of this perfectly. He was informed of the reunion nonsense and responded with an hilarious tongue-in-cheek comment. Perfect.

As I said earlier....

Marr’s twit was obviously an unnecessary low dig at Morrissey, but we should take into account the reason also for Marr not wanting a reunion may be because of Joyce. Let’s remember he sued both Marr and Morrissey.

I don’t remember what or if Marr said much about Joyce in his book in regards to this his feelings about him, or enough to glean how he really feels about him.

But Marr’s twit is refreshing, considering that he usually plays the ‘nice-guy’ cool card in regards to his public statements. Get it all out Johnny, it’s the healthy thing to do. :thumb:

Though as low as his jibe was, we can be sure it’s just a triggered reaction against being asked yet again about a reunion.
Nuts to that. Morrissey whole-heartedly deserved that, and more. For reasons best known to him, Morrissey hitched himself do that wagon. And there he'll stay.

Skinny the next Moz tour will sell out just like the one before.
Johnny will carry on being the loser he has always been.

I'm genuinely not Skinny, but to save you from typing it in the future, I will just take it for granted that you think I am.

Tours aren't really the major issue, there will be some loyalty & some people who love his notoriety. The problem is that no one in a good place in their life, with a good team in place would end up joining the type of movement they've always denied being part of. That's like self-harm more than politics. He needs a new direction.

Hmmm ... on a merry-go-round are we?
I think you'll find he praised Farage. You can obfuscate all you want. The comments - directly attributable to Morrissey - are available for all to see. Your interpretation of what you think Morrissey actually said is refundant and more than a little cloying.

Mr. Marr is a warm individual with a keen sense of humour. He captured the mood of this perfectly. He was informed of the reunion nonsense and responded with an hilarious tongue-in-cheek comment. Perfect.

Your interpretation is wrong & Marr's comment is perfect for him fitting in with everyone now, but probably isn't going to look pretty in future biographies when we find out whatever mental health or drug issue Morrissey has been going through.

Following on about our IRA convo and Moz....did Moz ever say anything about the Arndale bombing in Manc...cuz I can't remember anything
Sorry to butt in a but I've seen footage of an old Irish builder working on the rebuild of the Arndale and he jokingly said, "We built it and then we blew it up and now we're rebuilding it again."

As far as I know Moz has never commented on that one.

Following on about our IRA convo and Moz....did Moz ever say anything about the Arndale bombing in Manc...cuz I can't remember anything

I don't recall anything either - I remember a few Manchester musicians being ambivalent about it because they didn't like being bombed but they didn't like being angry at anything Irish.

Reckon f***ing John Maher talking shit from his little 2 bedroom house in Portland, Oregon. Reckon the dyed hair, hemp clothes wearing, paying for Nike gear, lil' tossey c*** wacker is just jealous because he could never afford Malibu like The California Son and didn't want to live next door to Al White in Pasadena mate inn n nn nnnn n nnnn nn nnnn nnnnnnnn n nnnnnn it.

Pretty generous of Johnny to play down the full horror of Moz's political views.

He appears to have been only interested in UKIP because Anne Marie was either a friend or someone he'd somehow heard of. It would be interesting to know how that link was formed.

He was heaping praise on Farage well before Anal Marie was on the scene. She definitely caught his eye, though.

[QUOTE="Nerak, post: 1987229043, member: 29417" He appears to have been only interested in UKIP because Anne Marie was either a friend or someone he'd somehow heard of. It would be interesting to know how that link was formed.
He was heaping praise on Farage well before Anal Marie was on the scene. She definitely caught his eye, though. [/QUOTE]

-----

He wasn't heaping praise - he was slagging off the BBC with some weird thing about Farage & George Galloway (I don't know about the private Farage, but George has never been liberal about anything in his life). I think he just hates governments, the media & whatever the majority view appears to be.

It did make me go back & check though & The Guardian in 2016 was already framing his words as right-wing (even though he mentioned Galloway in the same sentence) & racist (for mentioning Halal) - so they might have a dislike of him, or they'd heard private rumours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone contacted Nigel Farage to see if he will confirm or deny the rumours he's playing guitar on The Smiths reunion tour?

probable answer is:

no, i'm not that handsome for a rock star

Back
Top Bottom