Johnny Marrs book

Hey - was this definitely signed? Trying to find it online but having no luck!

Lasto............just stumbled across this tonight:
https://www.roughtrade.com/books/set-the-boy-free-signed
upload_2016-10-25_21-30-3.png

Have read quite a chunk of this book now.

Anybody hoping for much info about Johnny and Morrissey's relationship may well be pretty disappointed.

Have read quite a chunk of this book now.

Anybody hoping for much info about Johnny and Morrissey's relationship may well be pretty disappointed.

And people who aren't hoping for that information?

I won't give away any details but...

I basically skipped forward to the section about The Smiths and have read most of that, including the chapter about the court case. It has one or two points of interest but nothing immediately startling (Johnny has talked about this period so many times before after all). It is noticeable that he talks far less about his friendship with Morrissey than most of his other friendships of that time.

It certainly feels like a book not written by a ghost writer and, how can I put it, I don't think we'll be seeing a novel from Johnny anytime soon.

I basically skipped forward to the section about The Smiths and have read most of that, including the chapter about the court case. It has one or two points of interest but nothing immediately startling (Johnny has talked about this period so many times before after all). It is noticeable that he talks far less about his friendship with Morrissey than most of his other friendships of that time.

It certainly feels like a book not written by a ghost writer and, how can I put it, I don't think we'll be seeing a novel from Johnny anytime soon.

Well that's ok, as long as he keeps his day job playing the guitar. Is it more objective or does it reveal anything interesting about how he felt about songs experiences etc. also are you referring to his relationships with smiths related people Andy Joyce moss street or just his relationship with various people of the time

Well that's ok, as long as he keeps his day job playing the guitar. Is it more objective or does it reveal anything interesting about how he felt about songs experiences etc. also are you referring to his relationships with smiths related people Andy Joyce moss street or just his relationship with various people of the time

Pretty much everyone really (not so much Stephen Street perhaps) gets talked about more than Morrissey. :)

Does it have interesting stuff that is not featured in Songs That Saved Your Life? Here and there, but nothing earth shattering. I will probably enjoy that section more on a second reading.

The rest of the book may well be more interesting for fans of his entire career, as it has been discussed less.

Pretty much everyone really (not so much Stephen Street perhaps) gets talked about more than Morrissey. :)

Does it have interesting stuff that is not featured in Songs That Saved Your Life? Here and there, but nothing earth shattering. I will probably enjoy that section more on a second reading.

The rest of the book may well be more interesting for fans of his entire career, as it has been discussed less.

Is this description of the publisher justified?

"Rising above and beyond the personal struggles and bitter feuds, Marr delivers the story of his music and his band, sharing the real insights of a man who has made music his life, and finally giving fans what they’ve truly been waiting for."

Is this description of the publisher justified?

"Rising above and beyond the personal struggles and bitter feuds, Marr delivers the story of his music and his band, sharing the real insights of a man who has made music his life, and finally giving fans what they’ve truly been waiting for."

Well, to be honest, I think he already gave the fans that with his interviews for Songs That Saved Your Life. Fans should still buy this book, but I don't see too much here that hasn't been said before. He doesn't bitch and moan about Morrissey or Mike much, but then he doesn't talk about them much period which speaks for itself. He talks a lot more about Andy.

And this is only my initial impression of the book. It may well improve on me with subsequent reads.

Well, to be honest, I think he already gave the fans that with his interviews for Songs That Saved Your Life. Fans should still buy this book, but I don't see too much here that hasn't been said before. He doesn't bitch and moan about Morrissey or Mike much, but then he doesn't talk about them much period which speaks for itself. He talks a lot more about Andy.

And this is only my initial impression of the book. It may well improve on me with subsequent reads.

Thanks for the reply. Is it easier for foreign fans to read than Mozzers'?

then what's the point of reading it then ? ;)

really, will someone just scan and post the juicy parts or do I really need to line Marrs pocket?

Good news

Back
Top Bottom