Johnny Marr's Finest Moment?

My favourites of his contributions to Smiths songs:

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
I Know It's Over
That Joke...
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby

In my humble opinion it could be this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZIUUwaxWo&feature=related

At about 5:00 onwards there is a totally new riff, that looks like he just made up on the spot......cos he is a genius.

What do you think

Isn't that the standard jam they always played for that song? Around 6 minutes in is where he kind of freestyles it. To me, that song is pure funk.....that is the stuff Johnny did later on with Electronic. He's brilliant so he could probably write something like that in his sleep.

Johnny may be a great Composer and Guitarist but the lyricist he's chosen since Morrissey are nowhere near as great which is his failing.

Still Ill, This charming Man and Some girls are bigger than others springs to mind. Also, the marvellous way inwhich he injects added intensity into the final part of I know it's over, something which transforms that song from merely very good to absolutely unforgettable. Nothing I have heard of his post-Smiths stuff is even vaguely in the same galaxy as these.

cheers

Electronics debut album - simple as.

Better than anything he did with the Smiths.

A novel judgment. I'm a fan of the album but I'd stop short of saying it's better than anything he did with The Smiths. I'd love it if you elaborated.

A novel judgment. I'm a fan of the album but I'd stop short of saying it's better than anything he did with The Smiths. I'd love it if you elaborated.

I just think it stands up better with the passing of time. It doesn't really sound aged, unlike a lot of The Smiths stuff.

Even The Queen Is Dead sounds dated in a lot of places.

I just think it stands up better with the passing of time. It doesn't really sound aged, unlike a lot of The Smiths stuff.

Even The Queen Is Dead sounds dated in a lot of places.

Hmmm. I'm not going to rate it higher than "The Queen Is Dead" but I'll admit that "Electronic" probably sounds more timeless.

Except, I have to say...I don't mind "Idiot Country" but Barney's attempt to rap on "Feel Every Beat" automatically places the album in (a) a fixed time and place and (b) a mountainous pile of shit from which it only just escapes by virtue of the still-fresh memory of the other 10 gems preceding it on the album.

Anyway, I wish more people would listen to "Electronic", so... :thumb:

I'm surprised no-one has agreed with me regarding The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. It is truly the epitome of Johnny's contribution to "gentle" Smiths songs. I just love it when he plays so softly like he does on this song.

I'm surprised no-one has agreed with me regarding The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. It is truly the epitome of Johnny's contribution to "gentle" Smiths songs. I just love it when he plays so softly like he does on this song.

Well, using the criterion of "gentle", I don't think it matches either "Back To The Old House" (radio session version) or "I Won't Share You". It is a great song though.

First two Electronic albums are excellent.

Do parts of The Queen Is Dead sound dated? Never really noticed that before.

Could maybe label that to the debut album, maybe thats down to the sound from the production.

Agree on the rap from Bernard btw, bit too much snow in the studio.

Back
Top Bottom