Just listened to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain in full

In what style is Jim Jim falls musically?
In another review the intro was compared to the prodigy. I’m definitely intrigued.

If the last 3 track's instrumentation credits are accurate, there is orchestra, diverse real instruments, horns and strings.
Recording in France and finishing in Sunset, guest vocalists...not indicative of a shoestring budget either?
Regards,
FWD.
In what style is Jim Jim falls musically?

Indie-rock with jabbing electro beats. It reminded me of a crunchy synth sound from an old rave song by Digital Orgasm, although it and indeed nothing on the album is electronic dance music. The horses won’t be scared too much.

It’s definitely a hair-raising intro to a Moz album, but the fact is he has a voice that works with any kind of backing. All the songs strike me as the kind of things that got demoed on guitars and/or piano, and then the backing tracks evolved with synth sounds. After a little while it stops sounding surprising - they’re just songs.

Last edited:
Indie-rock with jabbing electro beats. It reminded me of a crunchy synth sound from an old rave song by Digital Orgasm, although it and indeed nothing on the album is electronic dance music. The horses won’t be scared too much.

It’s definitely a hair-raising intro to a Moz album, but the fact is he has a voice that works with any kind of backing. All the songs strike me as the kind of things that got demoed on guitars and/or piano, and then the backing tracks evolved with synth sounds. After a little while it stops sounding surprising - they’re just songs.
In your opinion it this album an improvement on LIHS?

In your opinion it this album an improvement on LIHS?

I only liked two tracks on LIHS. After a listen and a bit there’s a couple more I like on the new one, although so far nothing’s grabbed me as much as Israel did. Quality control seems higher overall, but nothing really soars like, say, a Pigsty

thanks. They are just songs but I like some songs better than others for certain reasons and album openers are I guess somewhat important to me. For instance I loved far off places as an opener but don’t care for maladjusted etc. I do think he likes to start his albums with a bigger more dynamic song and was just wondering if this trend continued and in what fashion. Thanks again for the info

I only liked two tracks on LIHS. After a listen and a bit there’s a couple more I like on the new one, although so far nothing’s grabbed me as much as Israel did. Quality control seems higher overall, but nothing really soars like, say, a Pigsty

So, in other words, this album lacks the wowe factor.

@lutewhine
Out of curiosity, could you rank Morrissey studio album from best to worst. I'm intrigued about your taste and where this new album currently sits in his discography.

@lutewhine
Out of curiosity, could you rank Morrissey studio album from best to worst. I'm intrigued about your taste and where this new album currently sits in his discography.

Vauxhall & I
Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Southpaw Grammar
You Are The Quarry
Kill Uncle
Maladjusted
Ringleader Of The Tormentors
Low In High School
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Years Of Refusal

I don’t really count California Son in these terms, but it’d be in the bottom three if I did.

Vauxhall & I
Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Southpaw Grammar
You Are The Quarry
Kill Uncle
Maladjusted
Low In High School
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Years Of Refusal

I don’t really count California Son in these terms, but it’d be in the bottom three if I did.
Thank you, but where does the new one rank?

Some more lyrics after another listen (apologies if I misheard any of these). Slightly random snatches, not all choruses by any means ...

Jim Jim Falls (which really is a cracking opener)
“If you’re gonna jump then jump
Don’t think about it
If you’re gonna run home and cry
Then don’t waste my time
If you’re gonna kill yourself then to save face ... get on with it”

I Am Not a Dog On a Chain
“I do not read newspapers
They are troublemakers
Listen out for what’s not shown to you
And there you’ll find the truth
In a civilised and careful way
They’ll sculptor all your views”

What Kind Of People Live In These Houses
“And where will they be
10 years from today
Bedsitter, bedwetter ... or penthouse go-getter
What carpet-chewer lights up this sewer
And which rough trade strangers
Fray all around these chambers”

Darling I Hug A Pillow
“Darling I hug a pillow in absence of you
*crap horns*
Darling I hug a pillow to replace your face
Loving you is a trauma no one else should face
Or sit still for”

Once I Saw The River Clean
“I walked with my grandmother
Down a windblown Chester Road
With her 52 new pence
For her twenty No 10s
And my 45 pence to ... demand Metal Guru
Once with heart securely stacked
Then we walked all the way back”

My Hurling Days Are Done
“Time will mould you and craft you
But soon when you’re looming away it will sneak up and shaft you
Oh time ... time ... no friend of mine”

Last edited:
Thank you, but where does the new one rank?

Somewhere in this bit ...
Kill Uncle
Maladjusted

Those three I find hard to rank. It’s probably better than ROTT, but with nothing anywhere near the likes of Pigsty. Depends if you want one-off gems that you’ll play over and over or a handful of songs you won’t mind hearing every now and again. I think Maladjusted is a pretty poor album for example, but I adore the title track and Trouble Loves Me.

Thanks again. You are the quarry, @lutewhine. Any tracks you would call "Classic Morrissey" (+ disgusting keysound)?

I think a lot of people here are going to be thrilled with it. As I say, I’m an old fan who has trouble with him these days. One thing I’m certain about though: Jim Jim Falls would have been an excellent lead single.

What Kind Of People ... has a similar Bona Drag-era vintage sound and feel to The Bullfighter Dies, but may divide people as a result.

Once I Saw The River Clean is one I wonder about. It’s a proper 80s-electro-pop-with-guitar storytelling song. I can see it being one of those that people love but the bastard refuses to play live!

Can’t remember if I already said, but he’s in exquisite voice throughout. He goes up an octave or two on The Secret Of Music which will really do it for a lot of fans. It’s a real shame that there’s so much instrumental fat on that one - it would really, really benefit from an edit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom